• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Magico TITAN subwoofer

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did they put an Adire woofer in a 350 pound cube milled from solid aluminum?

Also, are they maximizing or minimizing the distortions???
View attachment 298622
The words say minimize, but the math says maximize.

Subwoofers are so easy. 32k should be enough to buy lots really large ones. And one subwoofer is not useful for good bass no matter what Magico is claiming about this element. You need minimum two.

Also, I won't buy a sub named 'Titan'.;)
Another typical marketing trick is combining in the same sentence the very high output level of 136 dB (of course also not stated how defined and measured) with the extremely low distortion at 20 Hz which of course cannot happen at anything close to that level...

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

View attachment 298622

Subwoofers are so easy. 32k should be enough to buy lots really large ones. And one subwoofer is not useful for good bass no matter what Magico is claiming about this element. You need minimum two.

Until we see actual 3rd party test results, generally manufacturers specs are meaningless. Typically they announce the performance specs in the best of all variables and use cases. But that is exactly why ASR exists. So, who is buying one and drop shipping it to Amir to test? Then I will believe what he reports. Until then this sub does not look like anything special, except for the special low low price of a new car! :facepalm: Crazy markup on this imho.

AdamG

Forum Donor

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Until we see actual 3rd party test results, generally manufacturers specs are meaningless.
Generally yes, there are some exceptions though from some very known here companies which provide very precisely defined specifications and measurements. :)

AdamG

Forum Donor
Generally yes, there are some exceptions though from some very known here companies which provide very precisely defined specifications and measurements. :)
I used to believe everything the Manufacturers told us. Blindly blissful. Then I found Amir and ASR and the ASR Reality check initiation Crucible. Now I don’t believe anything until it is confirmed by measurements. :D

Last edited:

LearningToSmile

Neat. Their previous flagship subwoofer Q-Sub was $10k less, looked better imo, and yes, still claimed "135dB SPLs at 20Hz with less than 1% THD". And I can see a used one for $12k now - a veritable bargain. But hey it was "only" 350lbs.

These super massive subwoofers were always a bit strange to me, as the first thing I'd do if I had big money to spend on subs is buy 4 of them(or more), not a single extra large one. But at least music-focused high end speaker companies don't seem interested in pushing subwoofer arrays, even at hi-fi shows from what I saw it's usually 2.1 set ups. You'd think these companies would jump at an opportunity to sell more of something.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to believe everything the Manufacturers told us. Blindly blissful. Then I found Amir and ASR and the ASR Reality check initiation Crucible. Now I don’t believe anything until it is confirmed by measurements. :D
I fully understand but as said few companies provide very high quality measurements which some of them even ASR cannot provide, see for example the recent max SPL discussion in the new KH 120 II review thread. It is nevertheless still though always nice to see some measurements confirmed by ASR and few other credible 3rd party sources. :cool:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This kind of marketing-talk/mumbo-jumbo will not pass the ASR test :).
136 dB ooookkkkkk but at what distance? at 10 cm ( :)), any subwoofer reaches that level
THD of 1% at 20 Hz .. yeah! ooookkkk , but at what level?
For the price of one of this BS subs one could buy an entire sublime HT and music system, complete with a subwoofers system capable of obliterating this "Titan" subwoofer...

The crowd these companies are addressing however, will just buy Magico SUBS for their Magico speakers .. because the subs are "voiced" for the Magico speakers :rolleyes:. It will be strongly suggested to buy a pair .. for better imaging, depth of soundstage, layering and overall, organicity of the sound... that is without mentioning the width of the soundstage which would become galactic...

Peace.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Third party measurements can also illustrate the veracity or validity of a company’s specs generally, and it’s reasonable to infer that if their specs for product a are accurate their specs for product b likely are too even if the specs for b haven’t been interrogated.

egellings

Major Contributor

View attachment 298622

Looks and an oops! to me.

Reactions: MAB

MrSoul4470

Are we going to have a separate thread now for each of the nonsense products Magico offers?

@Pearljam5000: Just send some Magicos to Amir and wait for what he has to say about them.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Are we going to have a separate thread now for each of the nonsense products Magico offers?

@Pearljam5000: Just send some Magicos to Amir and wait for what he has to say about them.
I'm soon opening a thread dedicated to their berillyum /diamond tweeter
I can't afford the crates they come in so if you want you can send some Magicos to Amir

Axo1989

Major Contributor

This thread ended quietly in July (a couple of days after it started) until you decided necromancy was a good idea. :rolleyes:

egellings

Major Contributor

View attachment 298622

136dB sounds impossibly loud.

Top Bottom