• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Macs

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So yesterday I created a VMware clone of my Mojave install with CS6 and other 32 bit needed apps, verified that it was fully functional, then upgraded to Catalina with all it's updates in anticipation of having to move to Big Sur very soon.

So I got my new M1 Mini a couple days ago and in all my preparations (above) there is one thing I neglected to take into account and didn't research enough - VMs don't work on Apple Silicon. I was hoping that Rosetta2 had the guts but the leap between ARM and X86 is too big. So, for now, my old Mini is not far away so I can share the monitor when I need to fire up CS6.

Still no regrets, man these things are fast, responsive and silent.

GeorgeWalk

VMs usually need to run on the same architecture. VMware has something going on and Parallels has something running now. If you go to the MacRumors forum there is a lot of information about the M1 and the VMs.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ARM seems perfect for music server implementation. No fans, cool-running, energy-efficient, gobs of processor power. Too bad I already have NUCs running ROCK (Roon’s dedicated Linux implementation).

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
In a new video published on YouTube, Blendlogic has shared a quick look at the performance of an M1 MacBook as it runs Windows 10 via Parallels 16.

The video also tests a bunch of Steam games that can now run with Windows 10 ARM virtualized with Parallels.
“Not all games are working, but I was able to get Halo MCC and War Thunder to work (PLUS MAPLESTORY — but not recorded on screen)” notes the YouTuber.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Update 2 for gamers:

In a recently published YouTube video, Blendlogic gives us an update on the gaming performance of the M1 Macs running on the MacOS 11.2 Beta with Windows 10 ARM virtualized via Parallels and CrossOver used for some of the testing.

M1 Macs have already been demonstrated as having decent gaming performance, but the biggest hurdle for Macs running on Apple’s own silicon remains optimization — most games, especially those on Steam, simply haven’t been optimized to run on M1 Macs yet.

With the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview, macOS beta, and patches for Parallels and CrossOver installed, even more games now launch successfully on M1 Macs, and performance has improved significantly.

Torchlight II now launches much faster and gets more Frames Per Second (FPS) than before, making for a “more playable and enjoyable experience”, and the same can be said for almost all of the other games M1 Macs can currently run.

The majority of the graphical glitches and issues users were previously experiencing while playing games like Max Payne 3 on Steam via Parallels or CrossOver have also been fixed.

Most games still don’t launch in regular Steam mode and users will have to continue using Steam’s Big Picture mode to launch games for the time being.

In addition, older titles like Destiny 2, Alien: Isolation, and Batman: Arkham Knight still don’t launch due to a lack of software optimization for ARM.

In the games the YouTuber was able to fire up successfully, the M1 performed pretty well, with impressive frame rates and little to no frame drops despite the gameplay being simultaneously recorded via QuickTime Capture.

Games like Counter-Strike: Global Offensive which require Valve Anti-Cheat (VAC) authentication, however, still fail to launch.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am typing this from one of the new Macs and Safari is slow as a crawl. The scrolling is laggy, but this only happens in Safari. On sites like Reddit, it straight up stutters in an annoying matter. I don't think it is because they are slow or something, but there are some software refinements down the line. Also, effects such as rubberbanding at the end scrolling are a bit laggy around the whole system, something Apple has to address.

MrPeabody

I hope they haven't. The more excuses for not buying Apple products, the merrier. :^)

Apple keyboards is a big sore point with me. I think it has been nearly twenty years since they made a decent keyboard. BB had a good deal on the early 2020 MB Air in early December, so I got one of them instead of the latest M1/ARM. Supposedly the keyboard is the same for both. The problem I have with it is with getting lots of double key registrations, back-to-back "i", for example. No question that with better technique it is possible to avoid it, but it shouldn't happen nearly as easy or as often as it does. Previously I had the early '17 MB Air. The key travel was too short, but I didn't get duplicate key registrations the way I do with this keyboard. I upgraded to get the better display, and I definitely like the display, but I hate this keyboard so much that I'd almost rather have the old one back with the inferior display. I just don't understand why Apple decided, back around twenty years ago, to stop making high-quality keyboards.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Apple keyboards is a big sore point with me. I think it has been nearly twenty years since they made a decent keyboard. BB had a good deal on the early 2020 MB Air in early December, so I got one of them instead of the latest M1/ARM. Supposedly the keyboard is the same for both. The problem I have with it is with getting lots of double key registrations, back-to-back "i", for example. No question that with better technique it is possible to avoid it, but it shouldn't happen nearly as easy or as often as it does. Previously I had the early '17 MB Air. The key travel was too short, but I didn't get duplicate key registrations the way I do with this keyboard. I upgraded to get the better display, and I definitely like the display, but I hate this keyboard so much that I'd almost rather have the old one back with the inferior display. I just don't understand why Apple decided, back around twenty years ago, to stop making high-quality keyboards.
Hah, I see. It's funny that the problem permeates and plagues them through so many very different keyboard designs. I'm more inclined to believe it's a curse than poor quality control at this point. I mean, sure, most unibody macbooks were made without the chunky aluminum backplate being used as the screen support, premature thermal issues are common for different model years, etc. But, at least those happen and don't happen in variable windows of time. The keyboard issues have been around, even to some degree, since Apple's keyboards were mechanical. It's a curse.

Mashcky

Forum Donor
I’ve been very happy with my ‘13 15” rMBP keyboard. I have a proper mechanical keyboard at my desk too so I know what a great keyboard can feel like. I’ve also tested the new M1 air and sadly it didn’t feel as good. Maybe the new pros are more like my older keyboard?

GeorgeWalk

I am typing this from one of the new Macs and Safari is slow as a crawl. The scrolling is laggy, but this only happens in Safari. On sites like Reddit, it straight up stutters in an annoying matter. I don't think it is because they are slow or something, but there are some software refinements down the line. Also, effects such as rubberbanding at the end scrolling are a bit laggy around the whole system, something Apple has to address.
I only use Firefox on my Macs. I just say no to Safari and Chrome. Both are resource hogs.

GeorgeWalk

Keyboards on laptops are about minimum functionality with lowest cost. I usually use and external, mechanical keyboard. The best keyboards ever made were the IBM Selectric and IBM PC. After that, keyboards were a race to the bottom for lowest cost and fit and feel was sacrificed.

dmilller

I've used Safari on the new Air since release date. It's very fast. I do have a problem with a kernel panic every 3/4 days if I don't reboot. But other wise the machine is noticeably snappier than the 2015 MBP and iMac.

xykreinov

Forum Donor
I only use Firefox on my Macs. I just say no to Safari and Chrome. Both are resource hogs.
Firefox is still a pretty big resource hog. I recommended Pale Moon for most things and Ungoogled Chromium for bloated sites that need Chromium's more performant JavaScript engine.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Haven’t had that issue - and I’m typically running Safari with multiple tabs, Signal, R, and a Remote Desktop session to work at the same time.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven’t had that issue - and I’m typically running Safari with multiple tabs, Signal, R, and a Remote Desktop session to work at the same time.

My experience parallels yours - I've been astounded at how fast Safari is on my M1 MacBook Air compared to all my prior Macs, including an early 2020 Intel Air.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Firefox is still a pretty big resource hog. I recommended Pale Moon for most things and Ungoogled Chromium for bloated sites that need Chromium's more performant JavaScript engine.
You might want to try Brave browser for those sites you need a chromium based browser.
https://brave.com/
They do have a Mac version.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
My problem is that I’m very used to the iPad Pro’s 120 Hz refresh rate and other high refresh rate screens. But not only that, other 60 Hz screens seem to be smoother than my Air in those graphics- and ad-heavy websites. Other browsers and Safari Technology Preview are way smoother than the regular release version. I did a clean install of Big Sur and if it’s placebo, it may be going a bit faster and smoother, but can’t tell for sure.

Top Bottom