• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New guy here that needs advice for desktop system

Silvrbill

Howdy y'all.......
New guy to the forum here with a request.
My music system consists of Focal Solo6be's paired with a Rythmik F12 sub....very enjoyable for the room it's in.
I want something for my computer desktop but it needs to be small, a maximum of 10 3/4" in height.....width and depth are not a problem.
It also needs to be on par with my other system or I know I won't be satisfied.
I've been looking at the Genelec G1/F1 combo since I can control the system volume with the remote, that's a necessity.
The Neumann KH 80's have caught my eye but I'd like to pair them with a small sub to place under my desk.
Since my hearing is not what it once was the bass extension is important to me.
SO......will someone recommend a worthy subwoofer for the Neumann's and a way to control the entire system volume with a remote?

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If there is room to put a Kali IN-5 monitor sideways, I'd consider getting something that you can upgrade in the future, like a system that uses a MiniDSP for room calibration which will help a ton with a sub. Kali sub's and monitors will save a but compared to Focal/Neumann, with the saved money going towards needed room correction.

Even without a MiniDSP, Kali monitors have more useful room/desk/stand/wall distance presets on the back.

If you can afford Genelecs though, especially with one of their subs, that is the best compact system you will get. If they are SAM monitors and subs, even better. GLM does wonders for bass issues.

SinaHakman

Could be slightly more expensive but you can go with Neumann KH 80 DSP and KH 750 DSP sub. I am using KH 80 DSP without subs. I have a small room and I used REW and the Neumann Controll iPad app to manually calibrate the response using the Parametric EQ on the board DSP. I am extremely happy with the results. If you go with KH 80 DSP and KH 750 DSP sub, they can also be calibrated for room correction using Neumann MA-1. I haven’t used it but it should be very useful especially if your computer desktop is in a smallish room. Check out the following page: https://www.neumann.com/homestudio/en/ma-1

With a nice interface/DAC with balanced outputs, such as RME ADI-2, SMSL SU-9 or Topping D90, the volume can be controlled with a remote. All reviewed here in ASR.

Top Bottom