• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Active Nearfield Surround System - Advice Appreciated

Elitzur–Vaidman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm in the somewhat early stages of building out a surround sound system for my apartment, and I figured making a thread for feedback/suggestions/advice is probably a better idea than just going at it solo. I live in a fairly small apartment (living room is ~10.5'x13' with my desk area taking up a good chunk), so controlling space and spl are the biggest concerns.

I currently have 3 iLoud MTMs, an LG G2 on the way, and I plan on purchasing a ToneWinner AT-300 to use as my AVP (I also plan on sending it to Amir for testing since I can't find any measurements for it). I have one of the MTMs on a generic freestanding mic stand and the other two on boom arms for desktop usage (I rotate one of them to use as a TV speaker).
My current plan is to get the AT-300, an additional iLoud MTM, and an SVS 3000 micro, but I have a few questions.

1) What is the benefit of 5.1 vs 4.1, particularly in a nearfield context (in case that changes anything)?

2) If 5.1 is truly superior, what is a good active center channel monitor? I don't want to go with an MTM center channel, so I'm thinking maybe a Genelec 8030c on its side.

3) Since I would be taking out and putting away my side speakers depending on if I'm watching/listening to multichannel content, would it still make sense to do a more thorough surround sound calibration than putting in the listening distances for each speaker? I'm doubtful that I'll have the patience to get the exact same angle/placement every time, and the monitors are already accurate out of the box. Intuitively, just putting in distances makes sense, but my last multichannel system was an old Sony bundle over a decade ago, so there might be something I'm overlooking.

I want to go with the AT-300 because it's the cheapest full-feature AVP that also has XLR outputs. I know the number of channels is overkill, but ideally, I'll upgrade the iLouds to Genelecs and mount the iLouds to the exposed beams in my apartment as height channels if the system works out.

Any feedback, suggestions, or just general comments are appreciated!

Last edited:
Top Bottom