• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New DAC comparison chart (we'd love your feedback)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I can't find reviews of Topping E30 and SMSL Sanskrit Mk II.
I've added all the recent reviews. Tableau (the front end) is having some trouble accessing the database.

Think of this as a test run. Other devices and measures will be added eventually for comparison.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Great job! This is excellent. A couple questions:
  1. Is the "percentile score" static or dynamic? In other words: is it based on the total number of reviews (static) or does it re-calculate after a user applies filters (dynamic)?
  2. Does it make sense to add the "Recommendation" field as a filter field? That would be a quick way to filter out items that Amir (or any other reviewer) doesn't recommend. But I understand if you want to avoid using subjective fields in the filters.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1585541882258.png

ScofieldKid

Any way to get 50mv snr in there?

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
  1. Is the "percentile score" static or dynamic? In other words: is it based on the total number of reviews (static) or does it re-calculate after a user applies filters (dynamic)?
  2. Does it make sense to add the "Recommendation" field as a filter field? That would be a quick way to filter out items that Amir (or any other reviewer) doesn't recommend. But I understand if you want to avoid using subjective fields in the filters.
It's static, because dynamic would make no sense. It is always based on all DAC measurements.

Due to having limited space I opted to not have recommendation the filter bar, but If I remove the price range bar (just make it a min-max field) I can make some space for it.

mansr

Major Contributor
Would it be possible to make the chart use all the vertical space available?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Did you try the percentile score/recommendation dropdown? It changes the colouring of the bars. Same thing with the column sort function for recommendations. It's not exactly a filter, but it does simplify the visual side.
Any way to get 50mv snr in there?
That's in the database, along with many other values. It'll just take a while for other features of the chart to get built.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Did you try the percentile score/recommendation dropdown? It changes the colouring of the bars. Same thing with the column sort function for recommendations. It's not exactly a filter, but it does simplify the visual side.

I was able to use both, and they are helpful. (i.e., I wouldn't take them out.) I was simply thinking about the use case of maintaining the percentile colors + percentile sort, but removing items via a filter where the "Recommendation" field -- admittedly a subjective field -- is equal to "no".

Last edited:
OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I've have made some fixes. All reviews should be shown now, there were some filters behind the scenes that filtered some reviews out. Using the link to get to a review will now always result in a new browser tab.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is JUST AWESOME! Well done!!!
Question: is there any way to 'Watch' that page like a thread?
Getting a notification everytime it's updated might be kind of nice, but also an easy way to find it again when I want to.
(I keep loosing bookmarks to general clutter:)
Thanks again!!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Indicate if it is balanced.

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor

MRC01

Major Contributor
This report looks great. It makes all these reviews so much easier to use. For the DACs that are also headphone amps, I'd like to see a second column showing the SINAD or SNR (whichever is available) at 50 mV. On headphones, nobody uses full volume so the full scale value is irrelevant, and the full scale value doesn't necessarily reflect performance at 50 mV which represents an actual listening level with most headphones. Some DACs have high SINAD at full scale and low at 50 mV, and vice versa.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My feedback is that a scatterplot of SINEAD vs. price would be amusing, if not informative...

IIRC, you can get r2 out of Excel too

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Looks like I will get change back from my $30,000 bill...

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I don't think so as the content is dynamic and generated when you visit it.
Correct, and since everything that shows up there also will show up on the front page I don't see what that would add. Maybe @Neddy can setup something using the RSS feed and an RSS reader.

My feedback is that a scatterplot of SINEAD vs. price would be amusing, if not informative...

IIRC, you can get r2 out of Excel too
I did create one, but there is pretty much no correlation.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think so as the content is dynamic and generated when you visit it.
Thank you both. I pretty much expected that, no problem.
Wonder if anyone makes a really good bookmark organizer:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom