• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Amphion One25a Active monitors

lowkeyoperations

275DEDF6-074D-4494-977E-0E83CC050B9D.jpeg
New ACTIVE Amphion monitors being released at NAMM.

-3 way 10”
-2 sealed boxes
-1100 watts in 3 amps
-soffit mountable
-22Hz-22kHz-3dB
-expensive

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Should make good soffit mounted Atmos speakers. :)

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe somewhere under 80db. There isn't enough excursion to pull that off at a higher spl.

Most likely that's an in room measurement
These things are beasts at 12.4" tall, 20" wide, 19.1" deep and 91 pounds! A 10" driver, low passed at 100 Hz, with 700W of power... doesn't seem to far fetched to me that it can hit 22 Hz. Would love to see real measurements though.

muad

These things are beasts at 12.4" tall, 20" wide, 19.1" deep and 91 pounds! A 10" driver, low passed at 100 Hz, with 700W of power... doesn't seem to far fetched to me that it can hit 22 Hz. Would love to see real measurements though.
Yeah, but a sealed 10 inch driver will quickly hit it's excursion limits at 20hz.

I've spent a ton of time modelling the best 10 inch drivers with high xmax in a sealed configuration. Unlike ported, sealed is very excursion dependent. -3db anechoic at 22hz will be spl limited. I might have been overzealous with the 80db comment, but I wouldn't expect over 90db. It's going to run out of excursion.

Edit: I double checked and I was wrong. A 10 inch driver with 18mm xmax can get you 96db before hitting it's limits. That's a very long throw subwoofer driver but doable.

Last edited:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Neumann should the same with the next KH310 :)
Any ways it looks pretty cool

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Yeah, but a sealed 10 inch driver will quickly hit it's excursion limits at 20hz.

I've spent a ton of time modelling the best 10 inch drivers with high xmax in a sealed configuration. Unlike ported, sealed is very excursion dependent. -3db anechoic at 22hz will be spl limited. I might have been overzealous with the 80db comment, but I wouldn't expect over 90db. It's going to run out of excursion.

Edit: I double checked and I was wrong. A 10 inch driver with 18mm xmax can get you 96db before hitting it's limits. That's a very long throw subwoofer driver but doable.
Yeah, I don't disagree it'll be excursion limited somewhere, and I'll certianly agree that there is ZERO chance it'll hit that at it's claimed Max SPL of 112 dB. It might hit 100 dB though. Hard to say... I have zero compression at 100 dB at 20 Hz with four 8" Dayton Ultimax seald subs. I know that's more driver area, but my Dayton's are also only $119 drivers.

Moon162

Well, the need for an SPL cushion depends on how you plan to use it. I am looking to use it for mixing, so it's not that critical to have them crazy loud.
Honestly, I was looking to buy 8361A and didn't want to bother with a subwoofer, so the bottom-end extension was pretty critical. Now I am wondering whether I should wait for these. Typically Amphions are praised for being fast, with well-pronounced transients, perhaps due to the sealed box construction.
My only concern now is how far will be the min sitting distance, as they don't have Genelecs' advantage of the coaxial design.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
‘Fast’? ‘well pronounced transients’?
Keith

Moon162

‘Fast’? ‘well pronounced transients’?
Keith
Not sure what you mean by that post, or it's like "there is no such thing"? How would you characterize the difference between a sealed box vs ported speakers in that case?

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I just find it a nonsense term, would you consider these ‘slow’ loudspeakers yet they are ported,
I would look at every design in and unto itself.

Keith

Moon162

I just find it a nonsense term, would you consider these ‘slow’ loudspeakers yet they are ported,
I would look at every design in and unto itself.

Keith
I wouldn't call it nonsense, it's just a not scientific term for sure, but people are just trying to explain what they hear.
E.g. if you turn the attack knob on your compressor and are able to hear the results immediately as day and night, or, the opposite, you barely hear what has changed, it pretty much explains what is meant by being fast or slow and having pronounced transients.

As for Genelecs, they are a masterpiece indeed looking at measurements, but they are far from the usual design.
Though, if you ever heard Focal Alpha, it's a good example of "slow" speakers, while NS-10 would be an example of fast speakers (despite the fact that they sound like crap, but it is what's needed).

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I wouldn't call it nonsense, it's just a not scientific term for sure, but people are just trying to explain what they hear.
E.g. if you turn the attack knob on your compressor and are able to hear the results immediately as day and night, or, the opposite, you barely hear what has changed, it pretty much explains what is meant by being fast or slow and having pronounced transients.

As for Genelecs, they are a masterpiece indeed looking at measurements, but they are far from the usual design.
Though, if you ever heard Focal Alpha, it's a good example of "slow" speakers, while NS-10 would be an example of fast speakers (despite the fact that they sound like crap, but it is what's needed).
I take your point I just believe it better to say exactly what you mean, ‘fast‘ and ‘slow’ are bandied about on subjective forums, fast could mean no bass extension and ‘slow’ probably a room/dimension based bass issue or poorly integrated sub.
Keith

dfuller

Major Contributor

RobL

The vented port.
Yes…except
Amphion:
“As with all Amphion monitors, One25A’s unique approach starts with its cabinet design. The compact monitor utilizes an innovative sealed dual cabinet with isolated bass and midrange chambers to minimize acoustic cross-coupling and provide superior resolution and clarity.”

Top Bottom