• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neumann's KH750 and AES3 PC interface

onununo

I'm presently feeding my Neumann KH750 + KH310A combo via analog XLR connection from a RME DAC, but I wonder if I could get better sound by connecting the subs digitally to the PC using an AES3 PC interface, that would allow me to cut out the RME DAC and the ADC inside the KH750 from the audio chain.

Is it actually possible? Is it a good idea? Any suggestion for an inexpensive interface of reasonable quality (either USB or PCI-E) that could do the job? Will I need some drivers to drive the subs (I guess the interface card should come with them, shouldn't it)?

Curvature

Major Contributor
I'm presently feeding my Neumann KH750 + KH310A combo via analog XLR connection from a RME DAC, but I wonder if I could get better sound by connecting the subs digitally to the PC using an AES3 PC interface, that would allow me to cut out the RME DAC and the ADC inside the KH750 from the audio chain.

Is it actually possible? Is it a good idea? Any suggestion for an inexpensive interface of reasonable quality (either USB or PCI-E) that could do the job? Will I need some drivers to drive the subs (I guess the interface card should come with them, shouldn't it)?
It's pointless. Don't do it. There's negligible degradation in multiple conversions.

OP
O

onununo

Ok. So it's not worth...

Tom C

Major Contributor
If you’ll suffer my relating an only partially relevant anecdote…
I got one of these to allow sending AES to my JBL 705P, for the same reasons you mention in your OP. Now, not the exact situation as yours, because the hardware isn’t the same. Not only could I not hear any improvement in sound, but things were actually worse because there were LOUD pops when playing tracks of different sample rates. No pop if the track had the same sample rate as the preceding track, it only happened when the sample rate changed from one to another.
It could be that Neumanns wouldn’t have this problem, because they are made differently than JBL’s. Or maybe they are the same, I don’t know. Now, I’m one of these folks who won’t just take the word of some random internet dude (I realize I am the random one in the present case), so I had to try this out for myself. But I concluded it wasn’t worth the bother, and I took it out of the system.
One positive thing that came out of it, though, is that I have no fear of putting in an extra ADC into the chain to allow DSP of, say, an Atmos playback. That way, you could use PC based correction for any source. I often wonder if that would be a good way to go.

hege

Forum Donor
You don't need a new interface. Your RME DAC already has COAX S/PDIF out, which KH750 happily accepts per it's manual (lots more info there):

1692331588844.png

You simply need a cheap RCA-BNC cable. And BNC-BNC between subs.

OP
O

onununo

You don't need a new interface. Your RME DAC already has COAX S/PDIF out, which KH750 happily accepts per it's manual (lots more info there):

View attachment 306421

You simply need a cheap RCA-BNC cable. And BNC-BNC between subs.
Oh dear! Thanks!!!
I didn't know that!!
I'll give it a try, then, even though I am afraid my conclusions will be very similar to those of Tom C. In fact I hadn't thought about it, but true, it's quite likely loud pops will be produced each time there's a change of bitrate.
Nevertheless, since I can make a cable for free, why not trying!

Top Bottom