• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need recommendations for 2 channel integrated Stereo

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What about the new NAD C399 with the BLUOS option so you get DIRAC as well? No measurements yet but should measure better than the C368 "pre with DIRAC" plus it has HYPEX amps.

NewShoes

The 399 and 1592 were on my shortlist when I went shopping last weekend. In the end the QC issues for the nad (low sub output complaints etc) put me off the 399, while the 1592 is a bit old fashioned without any streaming or ARC connections.

I went home with the evo 150. I wish it had some subwoofer bass management, but otherwise it seems rock solid and all the features are well implemented.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Then all you need is an amplifier that can do a proper bass management, not just a simple subwoofer output.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't like to hear new things? Your desire to explore music is frozen in time?
Dude probably buys new stuff on CD and rips it, or maybe he is into piracy, like i am.

I also buy entire collections of CDs, sometimes for less than 50 cents a CD. I'll rip them all and sell the CDs on.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Dude probably buys new stuff on CD and rips it, or maybe he is into piracy, like i am.

I also buy entire collections of CDs, sometimes for less than 50 cents a CD. I'll rip them all and sell the CDs on.
Don't pirate! Love the idea of buying CDs, I still do as well, just not very often. I think I still have about 300 discs in boxes, all bought retail.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't pirate!
Let me think about this for a second ... yeah, nope.:p
1543590478892.jpg

rwortman

Forum Donor
Then all you need is an amplifier that can do a proper bass management, not just a simple subwoofer output.
Every sub I’ve seen has a crossover. It is handy but not necessary to have one in the integrated amplifier. Running the main speakers full range and propping up bottom end with a sub is a satisfactory method, if not the best method. After all, one was running the main speakers full range when there was no sub.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Doubling some low un synchronised frequencies os surely not the best method.

Slayer

Every sub I’ve seen has a crossover. It is handy but not necessary to have one in the integrated amplifier. Running the main speakers full range and propping up bottom end with a sub is a satisfactory method, if not the best method. After all, one was running the main speakers full range when there was no sub.
Huh
" Running the main speakers full range and propping up bottom end with a sub is a satisfactory method"- Only as a last resort, if you have no other sort of dsp options, maybe.

"if not the best method"- No, far from it.

"After all, one was running the main speakers full range when there was no sub."- Yes, but we've come a long ways since then, and for good reason.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most subs only have a low pass filter. Few have the ability to high pass the speakers.

ps let alone subs generally more capable of lower frequencies than most speakers as spl rises.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How would phase/polarity solve the overlap of frequencies produced?
They don't cancel each other out anymore. We are talking very low frequencies where this works easily.

Lots of more detailed explanation here, second post sums it up:

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Hopefully I am not simply propagating misinformation, or oversimplifying, but it is my understanding that by not asking your mains to reproduce the lowest frequencies, in my case my integrated has a hardware crossover which I set at 40Hz, that you are reducing the workload for the speaker and the amplifier, and passing that work off to what are hopefully more capable sub(s). I'm sure this potential positive effect is case by case, but if there is even a small but audible advantage, why not take it if it is there?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hopefully I am not simply propagating misinformation, or oversimplifying, but it is my understanding that by not asking your mains to reproduce the lowest frequencies, in my case my integrated has a hardware crossover which I set at 40Hz, that you are reducing the workload for the speaker and the amplifier, and passing that work off to what are hopefully more capable sub(s). I'm sure this potential positive effect is case by case, but if there is even a small but audible advantage, why not take it if it is there?
Not sure it is as you say. Yes, you reduce the workload for the main speakers, which might reduce power demand for the amp. Also, maybe, distortion gets lowered from the main speakers. But one could argue that three low frequency sources are better than one, in terms of room acoustics.

Anyway, op asked for 2 channel. A sub might be nice, bass management or not, but he might enjoy his music without.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello

I am building a 14 x 16 music room in my basement and am looking for a 2 channel stereo amplifier in the range of $3k- $3500 to go with my new Klipsch Cornwallls 4

If it matters I have also a sub SVS PB16 Ultra

I really appreciate any recommendations If any more details are needed please let me know

Thanks in advance.

forgot to mention I'm in Canada
Maybe you can consider the Topping PA5? It costs around the tenth of your budget and as your speakers are so efficient that lower than expected power shouldn’t be a problem.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Yeap, also do not pay for bass management, as explained here it is a hoax or something.

Top Bottom