• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help picking out DAP

Jeeper808

Update:
While reviewing suggestions I came across the Astell & Kern SR25...What are your experiences or thoughts on this device? This will probably be the top end of my budget. I will be using UE 11 csx IEM'S. I don't use an streaming services.

New here and looking for help picking a Hi-Res digital audio player.

Unfortunately, the brand names and specs mean little to me as a newbie in this area. I have always used stand alone devices like an ipod for music listening, especially at work where I don't want to walk around with a phone in my pocket all day.

I am looking for a quality player that is not too large for putting in front pocket for daily use. Price range between 400-600, but willing to spend slightly more if it makes a difference in quality. I will mainly use with the Ciem's I have on order, having already purchased and downloaded some Hi-Res FLACs of artist I listen to.

Open to suggestions. If there are any specific reasons player x is a better choice than player y please include it. Battery life, OS, durability, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The FiiO M11 Pro and Shanling M6 Pro already mentioned are outstanding choices, a bit higher priced than your budget, assuming you meant US$.

The $400 iBasso DX160 is also an excellent contender, and is at the low end of your price range.

https://hifigo.com/products/ibasso-...sic-player-android-dsd-decoder-portable-black
https://headfonics.com/ibasso-dx160-review/
https://twister6.com/2019/11/06/ibasso-dx160/
https://www.headfonia.com/ibasso-dx160-review/

The three changes in the 2020 version as compared with 2019 version are listed on the HiFiGo page. These include even more powerful amp output than described in the headfonics review of the 2019 version which was already able to drive 126 mW into 300 ohm headphones. Also the 3.5mm earphone output socket is now compatible with earphone cables with an additional microphone wire (so it is a four-pole cable instead of the previous three-pole) and in-line Android controls. So presumably, you could stream via the two-way BT from your phone to the DX160 and take phone calls that way. So you could have your fancier CIEMs without the mic wire, maybe even on a 4.4mm Pentaconn connector cable, and a separate pair of earphones with a mic-enhanced cable for other times when you may be expecting phone calls.

AudioStudies

If you don't intend to stream, some of the portable audio recorders from the Pro Market that both play and record on SD cards or microSD cards may be an option, particularly if you don't need DSD. Many of these will do 24/192 (High Res), and they come with the added advantage of record capability often with built-in mics. The Tascam DR-100mkIII is street-priced at $300.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Personally. I think phone + dongle gives a better experience, especially if you will use streaming apps.
You can get a NIB LG V20 910H with the same excellent Quad DAC as in the Amir tested G7 for about $170. No need for a dongle. The internal DAC on the LG is almost certainly better:

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...o-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/

Works on wifi just fine without a SIM card.

I use one as my primary source to my Liquid Spark /HE400i, or alone with SHP9500 phones (I don't like stuffing IEMs in my ears). Should have plenty of power for any IEM. Mine came with a B&O set.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can get a NIB LG V20 910H with the same excellent Quad DAC as in the Amir tested G7 for about $170. No need for a dongle. The internal DAC on the LG is almost certainly better:

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...o-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/

Works on wifi just fine without a SIM card.

I use one as my primary source to my Liquid Spark /HE400i, or alone with SHP9500 phones (I don't like stuffing IEMs in my ears). Should have plenty of power for any IEM. Mine came with a B&O set.

True- but a dongle is waaaaay cheaper and smaller assuming OP wants to keep existing phone.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Update:
While reviewing suggestions I came across the Astell & Kern SR25...What are your experiences or th oughts on this device? This will probably be the top end of my budget. I will be using UE 11 csx IEM'S. I don't use an streaming services.

Unfortunately, the brand names and specs mean little to me as a newbie in this area. I have always used stand alone devices like an ipod for music listening, especially at work where I don't want to walk around with a phone in my pocket all day.

I am looking for a quality player that is not too large for putting in front pocket for daily use. Price range between 400-600, but willing to spend slightly more if it makes a difference in quality. I will mainly use with the Ciem's I have on order, having already purchased and downloaded some Hi-Res FLACs of artist I listen to.

Open to suggestions. If there are any specific reasons player x is a better choice than player y please include it. Battery life, OS, durability, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I have the SR15- never had issues with it, just realised it was a pocket filler I didnt need. Reviews indicate the output power is pretty lame though. Shouldnt be an issue for any half sensitive IEM though. Actually, I do have an issue, if you use the wifi you literally watch the battery indicator drop. But shouldnt impact you if not streaming.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Update:
While reviewing suggestions I came across the Astell & Kern SR25...What are your experiences or th oughts on this device? This will probably be the top end of my budget. I will be using UE 11 csx IEM'S. I don't use an streaming services.

Thanks in advance!

You would get the highest quality sound using your phone and a $100 E1DA #9038D (or #9038S with balanced 2.5mm jack) or $40 HiDizs S8 / Tempotec Sonata HD Pro dongle to play the hi-res files you bought. Both the E1DA #9038S and HiDizs S8 have measured really well here on ASR, and reviewed as being excellent.

You did not say clearly, but if the primary objection to carrying your phone around all day is the weight, then DAPs like the A&K SR25, FiiO M11 Pro, Shanling M6 Pro or iBasso DX160 would not solve that problem, they are just about as heavy and large as your phone likely is. Something like the HiBy R3 Pro may fit your needs if the weight of the other DAPs is an issue.

The iBasso DX160 uses the same dual CS43198 DAC chips as the A&K SR25.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jeeper808

You would get the highest quality sound using your phone and a $100 E1DA #9038D (or #9038S with balanced 2.5mm jack) or $40 HiDizs S8 / Tempotec Sonata HD Pro dongle to play the hi-res files you bought. Both the E1DA #9038S and HiDizs S8 have measured really well here on ASR, and reviewed as being excellent.

You did not say clearly, but if the primary objection to carrying your phone around all day is the weight, then DAPs like the A&K SR25, FiiO M11 Pro, Shanling M6 Pro or iBasso DX160 would not solve that problem, they are just about as heavy and large as your phone likely is. Something like the HiBy R3 Pro may fit your needs if the weight of the other DAPs is an issue.

The iBasso DX160 uses the same dual CS43198 DAC chips as the A&K SR25.

The issue about using my phone isn't so much about the weight, but I would perfer something that fits in my front pocket. The dimensions of the SR25 are in the range that fit with extra room. I prefer stand-alone devices due to battery drain on phone for all day listening, as well for dedicated buttons that some DAPs have for music controls. There are other minor things that have always caused me to prefer a stand-alone device.

I would prefer something not made in China if all possible.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I fit a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 in my front pocket. That's a pretty big phone, I also have 1TB of storage in it. I really don't see the point of DAPs in 2020 and i've owned quite a few (I think my first one was an Aiwa HZ-WS2000 with a 1.5GB 1" HDD in it).

OP
J

Jeeper808

Thanks for everyone's input. I ended up purchasing the A&K SR25. While use of phone might work in most cases, my galaxy s20 is not best suited for that purpose. The main issue is that while we are allowed to listen to music at work, there are people who try to cause trouble for others and would tell management that they saw someone on their phone, which is why I usually leave it in my desk. With a stand alone devise they can report away and will just look stupid for doing so.

Top Bottom