• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need help choosing for active 2.0 desktop speakers + questions

psynsleep

Hey ASR, big noob here, prepare for nooby questions. Warning ahead, I tend to overthink everything and have difficulties on wording what I mean, resulting in much text as you can see, sorry!!. I really hope it's not too bad, resulting in nobody wanting to read :p

I'm looking for active desktop speakers. I got two I'm diciding between currently.
iLoud micro monitors
Edifier R1855DB (same as 1850 as far as I understood but with a much better remote)
added: Wavemaster Cube Neo / Wavemaster Mini Neo
added: Nubert nuBox A-125

Could you tell me which ones would be better in my case? I got some points and questions I want to include in the decisionmaking. If you want to recommend me any other speakers, I'd also appreciate that, but please don't ignore my points, like recommending passive speakers + amp when I want active ones, etc.
Germany btw, I'd prefer to have them ordered locally so it doesn't take a month to arrive + saving shipping fees
  • I'll use my mainboard, no extra soundcard. I was told its sound chip is decent enough. MB: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro v2 - Realtek® ALC1220-VB codec
  • I want to keep it 2.0, so no subs. I also want active speakers, so no external amp or anything. Just speakers directly connected to my pc.
  • I don't make music or anything -> monitoring speakers are not necessary. Speakers with an extra monitoring mode, like the MR4, would probably be a waste of money. I'm not gonna switch between the modes and just pick the one that sounds better and I assume the ability itself to have different modes makes it more expensive. So speakers with one sound mode is enough :)
  • I just want it to "sound good":
    • usage is multimedia. games (recently dipped into Skyrim again), music (trance, psytrance, progressive, deep house, rock), videos & streams
    • no distortion, esp when on low or high volume - I never put volume on high, something below 50 dB is probably my max. Never measured how loud my maximum actually is, just comparing it to my fridge lol
    • it shouldn't be exhausting to listen to them
  • ?: using optical input vs line out jack:
    • no sounds picked up from magnetic fields when using SPDIF, as there are a bunch of cables at my desk
    • I could then plug in my 3.5mm headphones to the back panel instead of the front like atm -> also better sound on headphones cause integrated amp works then
    • the iLouds don't have an opt in, but I don't want to exclude them when they're apparently very good speakers, when I'm not sure whether using fiber cables is gonna make a difference in external sounds and headphones being plugged into back instead of front panel
    • ?: As far as I understood, using the optical input would use the amp integrated in the speakers, and with the line out at the back panel it'd use the one of the mainboard instead. Which would be better, considering the speakers are rather cheap compared to what's written here about otherwise, so whatever they got integrated, it might be worse than what's on my mainboard?
  • they shouldn't be bigger in width and depth than the previously mentioned ones from Edifier: WxHxD 155×254×223mm.
    I already need to put my right monitor much more to the right so I got enough space between where I could put the right speaker. Things like JBL 305P MKII or Kali LP6 are too big. Could probably fit in the JBLs but 3cm wider is very much when considering my 2nd monitor, so most likely a no.
    I put together some DVDs into a corpus in the size of the mentioned Edifier speakers, to be able to imagine how much space they need and how much I need to move my right monitor so that they fit in and I be able to still see the bottom left of the screen...:
PXL_20221201_174955380.jpg PXL_20221201_175033377.jpg Screenshot 2022-12-01 183947.png
  • ?: the iLouds are for "very near field" monitoring and are pretty small. Am I even gonna hear sound when standing somewhere else, like in my open kitchen 3 meters to the right of my desk, or would I need to put them on very high volume? Would the bigger size of the Edifier speakers be better in that case?
  • no use of stands, speakers should be standing on my desk. So I like the Edifiers being angled up a little, but it's probably not gonna make much of a difference for me if I get others that aren't
  • 300€ for the pair is maxest max I want to pay. Not that much of an audiophile, so I'm not going to strech that for slightly better audio I won't notice anyway. Distortion and exhaustion from listening is all I care about besides a good and balanced sound. A sound that is "good" for me could sound ****** to you, I'm not trained in listening :D

Currently tending towards the Edifiers. I listened to this and couldn't notice much difference using my beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. Though according to some comments the iLouds provide a more clearer sound. I want to know if they're actually (much) better, in consideration with above points. No opt in = headphones are still on front panel, smaller size = not very far reaching sound but fitting better on desk, etc. I'd just be able to click on buy but I can't, there's so much in my mind that I want to clear up D:

If anyone actually read through this, big thank you!<3 I hope all is clear, if there's anything I wrote you don't understand, just tell me :) English isn't my first language as you probably can notice through my elementary school grade vocabulary. Took me more than 2 hours to write this so I got everything included lmao

Last edited:

beren777

OP
P

psynsleep

I've read that already, but thank you. I'm unsure due to the questions I have that I need an answer for to be able to decide. Linking me the recommendations thread won't help me here sadly.

Top Bottom