• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice on first audio setup

OP
J

Johnny5

Hi :)

How is Scotland ... there's a question:) It's small, but packs a punch that's for sure. Come visit sometime , come and find out.
There's a smallish town just outside Glasgow called Bothwell btw, if you didn't know.

Hifi... you've seen a recommendation for the miniDSP Flex. I'd second that - it's a DAC, a preamp and it can take digital and analogue input too so it works with your TT. It's what I use.

There's a learning curve with it, to get the EQ set but it works out of the box too. Get a UMIK-1 microphone when you buy it (if you do).
I'm no EQ expert - listen to others when you start to make measurements.

You'll have budget left - that's good! Wait until you've made some measurements and got some feedback and advice. Then get a subwoofer or two :)
I've heard that there was a castle Bothwell, but didn't know about the town. That's cool!

When ordering the MiniDSP Flex, what do you guys recommend for output connections? RCA, TRS, Digital?

Multicore

Major Contributor
There's a smallish town just outside Glasgow called Bothwell btw, if you didn't know.
Your on the road to music threater greatness there: two stops before Hamilton. As opposed to Plaistow: two stops before Barking on the road to madness.

Just last week I noticed that I grew up exactly half way between Ibrox and Hampden. No wonder my parents warned be about game days.

Multicore

Major Contributor
There's a learning curve with it, to get the EQ set but it works out of the box too. Get a UMIK-1 microphone when you buy it (if you do).
I'm no EQ expert - listen to others when you start to make measurements.
This video from Julian Krause is unimpeachable as a beginner tutorial. One can quibble with certain details (and I would be pleased to) but it walks you through the full process beginning to end and has time left at the end to suggest iterating to confirm. That's good by any standard and exceptional by Youtube standards.

OP
J

Johnny5

Your on the road to music threater greatness there: two stops before Hamilton. As opposed to Plaistow: two stops before Barking on the road to madness.

Just last week I noticed that I grew up exactly half way between Ibrox and Hampden. No wonder my parents warned be about game days.
You're a Scotsman too? Also, thanks for the Julian Krause tutorial video.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've heard that there was a castle Bothwell, but didn't know about the town. That's cool!

When ordering the MiniDSP Flex, what do you guys recommend for output connections? RCA, TRS, Digital?
miniDSP ... personally I'd go for the TRS (i.e. balanced) version. You'll need a TRS to XLR male cable to connect to your amp. Plenty of pro audio options, or minidsp sell them if you are buying direct.
You'll also need RCA male to TRS cable for your phono stage, again these are widely available.
Do not buy any fancy or expensive cables, ever!
As I understand it, it's ok to route your single-ended (unbalanced) phono stage into balanced inputs. Going the other way (balanced into single-ended) is less advised. Staying balanced between miniDSP and Amp reduces the risk of ground loops (hum).

If you went for the Digital version then you'd still have to buy a DAC. Some people like the flexibility of separate boxes, but the miniDSP DAC is plenty good enough. You get better measuring DACs, but the differences are inaudible.

I dated a girl from Bothwell for a while ... we don't talk about that!

Multicore

Major Contributor
I got a balanced Flex because my power amp has XLR inputs. For the connection to the phono preamp I used this wiring and got good hum/noise performance, meaning I can't hear any.

But be aware that MiniDSP explicitly recommends to not use the Flex's balanced analog inputs with unbalanced sources.

OP
J

Johnny5

Thanks @JeremyFife @Multicore, you guys have been a huge help, I really appreciate it!

For clarification, the Stereo (2ch) Dirac Live License (Full Range) option, when ordering direct from their site, is what allows for the equalization/room correction? So I'll want to add that option, correct? Also would you recommend I buy one of UMIK-1 direct from miniDSP or the independently calibrated UMIK-1 from the link that was posted?

Multicore

Major Contributor
Thanks @JeremyFife @Multicore, you guys have been a huge help, I really appreciate it!

For clarification, the Stereo (2ch) Dirac Live License (Full Range) option, when ordering direct from their site, is what allows for the equalization/room correction? So I'll want to add that option, correct? Also would you recommend I buy one of UMIK-1 direct from miniDSP or the independently calibrated UMIK-1 from the link that was posted?
It's up to you. I did not choose Dirac Live. Being Scots I wanted to save the $200 so I just use the parametric EQ that's included with the Flex.

I know you can do sub woofer management with the parametric EQ but Idk about Dirac Live.

OP
J

Johnny5

It's up to you. I did not choose Dirac Live. Being Scots I wanted to save the $200 so I just use the parametric EQ that's included with the Flex.

I know you can do sub woofer management with the parametric EQ but Idk about Dirac Live.
Okay, I'll do some research to see if it's worth the extra money. Also LOL, my Dad always says he's not cheap, he's thrifty!

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Ditto.
I bought my umik from miniDSP when I bought the Flex - easiest way.

Top Bottom