• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advice on first audio setup

Johnny5

Hey guys! I'm totally new to home audio and I was hoping to get some advice on how to setup my equipment. I just jumped in about 3 weeks ago and started buying components, piecing a system together based on reviews from this site and youtube, and realized I don't know what I'm doing lol. So far I have a pair of CSS Criton 1TD-X speakers with the superior crossover, Audiophonics HPA-S400ET power amp, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo and Schiit Mani phono preamp. I just realized I'm going to need a preamp and was looking at either the Schiit Kara or the Topping Pre90. I'll be looking to add a CD player/transport as well. I also have no idea which cables to use to connect everything, RCA, XLR etc. Will my components even work together? Have I missed/overlooked anything? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. If using the PC as a source you need EQ/PEQ. That is the biggest improvement other than buying much better speakers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want PEQ tell me which OS you use PC or Mac? I'll point you to what works and does it well.

OP
J

Johnny5

If you want PEQ tell me which OS you use PC or Mac? I'll point you to what works and does it well.
Hey thanks man! My plan was to go with a turntable and CD player/transport to start, then possibly PC since I have a bunch of FLAC files.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd guess around 100 as of right now.
Right around that number that makes having a CD player handy. Perhaps a PC mounted CD player and then it can use the PC PEQ too. The idea is to reduce expenses on a CD player, use PEQ and maybe burn the CDs to flac on the PC. That way you don't go overboard on the CD player aND USE THE FUNDS FOR MORE IMPORTANT STUFF. (I HAVE A BROKEN ARM, SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS.)

OP
J

Johnny5

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between XLR and RCA. XLR is balanced, and balanced means no hum/hiss? Is XLR mainly for connecting preamps to power amps? Is it worth using XLR if you're going to be listening to vinyl and CDs mainly? Thanks.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Hey thanks man! My plan was to go with a turntable and CD player/transport to start, then possibly PC since I have a bunch of FLAC files.
How many LPs do you have? If none or very few, leave out the turntable for now. (Every time I've asked this, there always seems to be a large record collection involved, of course!)

No need for vinyl, especially in a first system.

Ah, too late, you've already bought...

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Welcome to ASR ... and perhaps slow down a little :)

Why not describe your room a bit (size, where can you place the speakers, how close to the speakers will you usually sit etc), the kind of music you like (doesn't change anything but it's interesting!) and how loud you like to listen - give some context.
Budget?

If you will be adding digital sources (CD via a transport, FLAC from your PC, streamed music) then you're going to need a DAC ... many of which will also work as a preamp, although integrating your analogue source (TT) gets more complex.

If you want, you can start analogue, with TT + CD (player, not transport) into a preamp and then add digital later, but you should have a think about what your final system with digital might look like and plan based on that. Try not to end up with redundant gear.

Remember that the things that affect your sound, in order of importance, are;
Room,
Speakers,
Mood / music,
Electronics

That's why talking about your room is important, and why people here are already talking about EQ/DSP to adjust and correct some of your room/speaker interactions. EQ in your PC can't help your TT, but that might be Ok

Do you want a combined preamp/DAC so that your TT and digital sources all use the same box or do you like the idea of separate units? All possible

Slow down a little :) think it through :) Enjoy the music :)

OP
J

Johnny5

How many LPs do you have? If none or very few, leave out the turntable for now. (Every time I've asked this, there always seems to be a large record collection involved, of course!)

No need for vinyl, especially in a first system.

Ah, too late, you've already bought...
Yeah, I inherited around 30-40 records from my uncle and recently decided to build a system. Plus I've bought 7 records recently as well.

JeremyFife

Yeah, I inherited around 30-40 records from my uncle and recently decided to build a system. Plus I've bought 7 records recently as well.
Nice, and you have a decent TT too - all good.

Recognise that you will get much more value - in terms of music you can listen to and at a better quality - from digital sources now, not from vinyl.
I say this from my position of approx 400 records and a TT quite similar to yours.
I'd suggest that you focus on getting your PC set up to play music now (streaming or ripped CDs)

OP
J

Johnny5

Welcome to ASR ... and perhaps slow down a little :)

Why not describe your room a bit (size, where can you place the speakers, how close to the speakers will you usually sit etc), the kind of music you like (doesn't change anything but it's interesting!) and how loud you like to listen - give some context.
Budget?

If you will be adding digital sources (CD via a transport, FLAC from your PC, streamed music) then you're going to need a DAC ... many of which will also work as a preamp, although integrating your analogue source (TT) gets more complex.

If you want, you can start analogue, with TT + CD (player, not transport) into a preamp and then add digital later, but you should have a think about what your final system with digital might look like and plan based on that. Try not to end up with redundant gear.

Remember that the things that affect your sound, in order of importance, are;
Room,
Speakers,
Mood / music,
Electronics

That's why talking about your room is important, and why people here are already talking about EQ/DSP to adjust and correct some of your room/speaker interactions. EQ in your PC can't help your TT, but that might be Ok

Do you want a combined preamp/DAC so that your TT and digital sources all use the same box or do you like the idea of separate units? All possible

Slow down a little :) think it through :) Enjoy the music :)
Thanks for the advice, just excited to get a system together! After a few weeks of research and buying I realized it's not as simple as just buying components and throwing them together lol. The room size is 14'x11' and I planned on placing the speakers facing the longer of the two dimensions, about 2-3 feet from the wall. So I'm estimating I'll be sitting 9'-10' from the speakers. Total budget I'm thinking between $5k-$6k.

I listen to mostly Death Metal, with some post rock(Mogwai), Prog-rock, Americana/Bluegrass and some 80s/90s pop(Duran Duran) thrown in. I also recently got some Kraut Rock and British Rock records given to me. Listening volume depends on mood and genre of music I suppose. I'd say usually moderate volumes though, fairly loud with some of my favorite Death Metal songs.

I'm leaning more toward a CD transport/DAC setup. That type of setup is more customizable to preference with the option of switching DACs, versus a CD player? DACs also allow FLAC to be played? As far as combined DAC/preamp, I'm unsure. Didn't know that was an option.

OP
J

Johnny5

Nice, and you have a decent TT too - all good.

Recognise that you will get much more value - in terms of music you can listen to and at a better quality - from digital sources now, not from vinyl.
I say this from my position of approx 400 records and a TT quite similar to yours.
I'd suggest that you focus on getting your PC set up to play music now (streaming or ripped CDs)
Ok, you and @Doodski both recommend going that route, so that route I will take. I do know that digital offers better quality in comparison to vinyl, so that makes sense. I see you're in Scotland? How is it there? I've wanted to visit for a while now. My Father's side of the family is Scottish, Bothwell surname. Another reason I like the band Mogwai so much.

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
Hey guys! I'm totally new to home audio and I was hoping to get some advice on how to setup my equipment. I just jumped in about 3 weeks ago and started buying components, piecing a system together based on reviews from this site and youtube, and realized I don't know what I'm doing lol. So far I have a pair of CSS Criton 1TD-X speakers with the superior crossover, Audiophonics HPA-S400ET power amp, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo and Schiit Mani phono preamp. I just realized I'm going to need a preamp and was looking at either the Schiit Kara or the Topping Pre90. I'll be looking to add a CD player/transport as well. I also have no idea which cables to use to connect everything, RCA, XLR etc. Will my components even work together? Have I missed/overlooked anything? Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Welcome @Johnny5

I went with the MiniDSP Flex as preamp because it equalizes (EQs) all the inputs. @Doodski suggested doing that on the computer, which works well but doesn't EQ the TT or anything else you may connect to the preamp, e.g. a TV. Connected to my Flex I have a phono preamp, a Roku, a DVD player that also plays CDs, a WiiM Pro streamer, a Raspberry Pi, and bluetooth. All are EQed.

OP
J

Johnny5

Welcome @Johnny5

I went with the MiniDSP Flex as preamp because it equalizes (EQs) all the inputs. @Doodski suggested doing that on the computer, which works well but doesn't EQ the TT or anything else you may connect to the preamp, e.g. a TV. Connected to my Flex I have a phono preamp, a Roku, a DVD player that also plays CDs, a WiiM Pro streamer, a Raspberry Pi, and bluetooth. All are EQed.
Thanks @Multicore. Ok, so the MiniDSP Flex automatically equalizes the sound for the room you're in? I noticed it mentions specifically active speakers. Would the Flex also work for passive speakers like I have? I'll start doing more research into the Flex.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Thanks @Multicore. Ok, so the MiniDSP Flex automatically equalizes the sound for the room you're in? I noticed it mentions specifically active speakers. Would the Flex also work for passive speakers like I have? I'll start doing more research into the Flex.
It is not automatic. You have to design the EQ using an app you run on a computer which then saves the EQ design to the Flex device.

I used a MiniDSP UMIK-1 microphone (that I bought with independent calibration from a local firm) together with software called REW (Room Eq Wizard) to produce the EQ design and I copy pasted that into the MiniDSP app. This is a technical process and not exactly simple but it is highly instructive.

And the Flex is has 4 outputs so if you add sub woofers later you can do a proper crossover design using the same process with UMIK-1 and REW.

JeremyFife

Ok, you and @Doodski both recommend going that route, so that route I will take. I do know that digital offers better quality in comparison to vinyl, so that makes sense. I see you're in Scotland? How is it there? I've wanted to visit for a while now. My Father's side of the family is Scottish, Bothwell surname. Another reason I like the band Mogwai so much.
Hi :)

How is Scotland ... there's a question:) It's small, but packs a punch that's for sure. Come visit sometime , come and find out.
There's a smallish town just outside Glasgow called Bothwell btw, if you didn't know.

Hifi... you've seen a recommendation for the miniDSP Flex. I'd second that - it's a DAC, a preamp and it can take digital and analogue input too so it works with your TT. It's what I use.

There's a learning curve with it, to get the EQ set but it works out of the box too. Get a UMIK-1 microphone when you buy it (if you do).
I'm no EQ expert - listen to others when you start to make measurements.

You'll have budget left - that's good! Wait until you've made some measurements and got some feedback and advice. Then get a subwoofer or two :)

OP
J

Johnny5

It is not automatic. You have to design the EQ using an app you run on a computer which then saves the EQ design to the Flex device.

I used a MiniDSP UMIK-1 microphone (that I bought with independent calibration from a local firm) together with software called REW (Room Eq Wizard) to produce the EQ design and I copy pasted that into the MiniDSP app. This is a technical process and not exactly simple but it is highly instructive.

And the Flex is has 4 outputs so if you add sub woofers later you can do a proper crossover design using the same process with UMIK-1 and REW.
That seems pretty rad, thanks man!

Top Bottom