• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Near Field Speakers Recommendations

OP
D

dahuky

Whata the diffrence betwean high pass and low pass?

YSC

Major Contributor
I sold the KH120
I prefer the Genelec tweeter, tonality and overall sound when I auditioned it at the store.
Sound was more neutral and 3D, if that makes any sense.
ic, just watching the FR along I don't expect the difference would be that great, maybe location or even dac problem? regarding your question I never have chance to audition the Neumann in Hong Kong, but with both being excellent monitors and don't look to have those marketing tricks on specs the 8030C having max 104db spl and KH120 with 105.1db with 3% distortion I don't think it will have any significant difference, in close distance (1m per spec) you will lost your hearing soon at both max level, at distance factoring in the loss of sound pressure that 1db should not have any detectable difference IMO

YSC

Major Contributor
Whata the diffrence betwean high pass and low pass?
In more layman terms, normal subwoofer or sub out have low pass, where they only pass the frequencies below the cross over point, so if the cross over at 85 hz the low pass is cutting anything above 85hz and send to the sub.

For high pass you get the opposite, full scale signal send into the sub (with low pass to the sub driver) and then the speaker out connector in the sub cuts anything below the crossover frequency and send all signal above (>85hz for the genelec example) to the main monitor speakers

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
ic, just watching the FR along I don't expect the difference would be that great, maybe location or even dac problem? regarding your question I never have chance to audition the Neumann in Hong Kong, but with both being excellent monitors and don't look to have those marketing tricks on specs the 8030C having max 104db spl and KH120 with 105.1db with 3% distortion I don't think it will have any significant difference, in close distance (1m per spec) you will lost your hearing soon at both max level, at distance factoring in the loss of sound pressure that 1db should not have any detectable difference IMO
There's something beyond measurements, only hearing in person can tell you the whole story

OP
D

dahuky

In more layman terms, normal subwoofer or sub out have low pass, where they only pass the frequencies below the cross over point, so if the cross over at 85 hz the low pass is cutting anything above 85hz and send to the sub.

For high pass you get the opposite, full scale signal send into the sub (with low pass to the sub driver) and then the speaker out connector in the sub cuts anything below the crossover frequency and send all signal above (>85hz for the genelec example) to the main monitor speakers
and what difference does it make?

YSC

Major Contributor
and what difference does it make?
I am no expert but I would say if a sub have a normal low pass filter or even without one, you would need external crossover like a minidsp to let the main monitor cut off at the crossing frequency so it won't be stressed to produce those low frequencies they get unhappy of and hand it over to the sub, if full scale signal are sent to both you will have the boosted and distorted overlapping frequencies where the sub and the main monitor struggles to reproduce.

if the sub have a high pass filter, it would make life easier by letting you connect the dac out into the sub and connect your main monitors to the sub without the need to really tinkle about the crossover settings

OP
D

dahuky

it seems like the genelec are a very good option, bbut i start to get messy with the fact i cant use my amp any more, and have no idea how can i connect my dca and my turntable, which has only rca outs, to the active speakers.
any recommendations for passive nearfield speakers?

YSC

Major Contributor
it seems like the genelec are a very good option, bbut i start to get messy with the fact i cant use my amp any more, and have no idea how can i connect my dca and my turntable, which has only rca outs, to the active speakers.
any recommendations for passive nearfield speakers?
If you really have the amp with xlr out you can still use it with the genelec, just set the input sensitive of the Genelecs to lowest as well as your amp, which will now becomes a preamp

OP
D

dahuky

if i get a sub like the 7050c which has several xlr inputs, can i connect my dac with 2 xlr and my turntable with 2 rca to xlr? does the sub play them all simultaneously? how does it work?

Zek

Major Contributor
Does the turntable have a built-in preamp? If not, then you need a turntable preamp to connect to active speakers.
Problem is the volume control, which you have to do on the active speakers.

OP
D

dahuky

Does the turntable have a built-in preamp? If not, then you need a turntable preamp to connect to active speakers.
Problem is the volume control, which you have to do on the active speakers.
Yes it does have one. is rca to xlr doesn't mess the quality? (since its not real xlr) furthere more, all people use active speakers change the cables each time they want to listen to their turntable instead of their DAC?
does the difference between active and passive worth all this mess?

Top Bottom