• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Near Field Speakers Recommendations

dahuky

Hi,
looking for a near field arounk 1k budget spearkers, thanks.

thrash

Are they going to be only for nearfield listening?
1K/piece or for a pair ?

Some suggestions:
Mackie MR-624 / 824. Quite underrated but dirt cheap for their quality (and they measure well for their price)
https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/nearfield-studiomonitor-mackie-mr824-mrs10/
400€ / pair.
Their larger sibbling the HR 824. Those are 1.4K / pair.

Adams A7X 1K / pair

And of course the Neumann KH80/120 and the Genelecs as suggested above.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Moonhead

Yes Both are hq active speakers.

OP
D

dahuky

Neumann KH80

amirm wrote:
Conclusions
The Neumann KH 80 DSP Monitor measures quite well and seems to be competently designed.. This may make it a very good fit for pro use in recording and mixing. For hifi listening though as I noted, I still prefer the JBL LSR305P. The JBL projects a larger image, has more bass performance and detail in mid-range. It is also cheaper. So personally I would not use the KH 80 DSP but you have the data to decide for yourself.

Net, net, we have some work to do to better objectively qualify performance of speakers like Neumann KH 80.

OP
D

dahuky

i'm not familiar with active speakers.
i need to connect each one to power supply?
can i use a subwoofer?
can i connect them to my turntable? i think those genelec doesnt have rca?

OP
D

dahuky

how can you use a subwoofer with the genelec? it has no sub out.

YSC

Major Contributor
i'm not familiar with active speakers.
i need to connect each one to power supply?
can i use a subwoofer?
can i connect them to my turntable? i think those genelec doesnt have rca?
You need a socket for each speaker, genelec can use a rca to xlr cable or adapter or you could opt for their G3 for 8030C with rca
For sub you better use their own with the sub having the high pass filter

OP
D

dahuky

You need a socket for each speaker, genelec can use a rca to xlr cable or adapter or you could opt for their G3 for 8030C with rca
For sub you better use their own with the sub having the high pass filter
can you name the sub?
actually i've just bought today the GUSTARD DAC-X16 Dual which has XLR outputs, but that doesnt help me in terms of my turntable.
can you please recommend a good RCA to XLR CABLE? guess i can use one of those with the turntable preamp

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Just wonders why would you want a pair of 8030C when you already have a pair of kh120
I sold the KH120
I prefer the Genelec tweeter, tonality and overall sound when I auditioned it at the store.
Sound was more neutral and 3D, if that makes any sense.

YSC

Major Contributor
can you name the sub?
actually i've just bought today the GUSTARD DAC-X16 Dual which has XLR outputs, but that doesnt help me in terms of my turntable.
can you please recommend a good RCA to XLR CABLE? guess i can use one of those with the turntable preamp
If you have completely no idea of external crossover or don't bother like I do (I personally use the 8030C without any sub) you can just go with the Genelec 7040A or 7050C, in which you go dac-> sub->8030C, I think from their own manual the 7040A have a high pass filter to cut off those frequency below 85hz and pass to your main monitor, while 7050 have more input and output where it don't have built in high pass, just low pass the dac signal into the sub, then send the same signal to the main monitor, but genelec own manual makes it quite clear how to set it up.

just to say first it seems genelec sub isn't as brilliant in absolute terms as they excel in main monitors but those are still great subwoofers, and the main benefit beside the built in high pass is that the gain switch is the same as their own main monitors, so selecting both at same setting would result in same SPL ignoring the room mode, which you will need some measurement and DSP to fully mitigate

Top Bottom