• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NC500 VS NC400

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Slightly older thread, but I've been reading their spec sheets because I'm in a similar position. The larger number (500 vs 400) doesn't exactly indicate increased quality. They seem to be rather different, with the 400 having a more discrete design vs the IC or two on the 500. It also appears that the 400 is a current monster, increasing it's output power with decreasing impedance loads, while the 500 actually decreases it's output power into 2 Ohm loads. The 500 has higher distortion than the 400, though I highly doubt it's audible. Finally, I believe the 400 does 133W continuous by their spec, under normal conditions, while the 500 puts out 100W.

Overall, the 400 appears to be the higher end board, from what I've gleaned. The 500 is a nice midrange solution though! See the review of the DIY NC400 which Amir reviewed, it compares very favorably to the commercially manufactured NC500 from what I recall.

OP
K

klipsch

I managed to get a 3 channel nc500 based amplifier with the standard opamps. I have very high sensitivity speakers (Danley Sound Labs SH50's). I've tested many amplifiers with different topologies and this module is among the few where I can stick my head inside the SH50's horn (literally, the horn is large) and not hear any "hiss". I have a soundproofed and treated room with a noise floor in the low 30dblBs (mid 30dBs when hvac is running as the air movement adds 3ish dB) - the hiss from 13 feet away would be easily noticeable with many amps without sound and could be heard with music depending on different passages of music. I assume the silence is related to the SINAD rating? I am very impressed with the nc500 thus far (beyond the silence) and will leave any subjective comments out. I just wanted to briefly share for those on the fence or researching like I was.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
That's good stuff. Hopefully it's just a matter of time when "Pro" monitors begin using the technology. SOme have Icepower modules, and they seem to be very quiet as well. Congrats on your purchase!

temps

That's good stuff. Hopefully it's just a matter of time when "Pro" monitors begin using the technology. SOme have Icepower modules, and they seem to be very quiet as well. Congrats on your purchase!

Barefoot uses HypeX modules exclusively in all their models, some of which sell for $60k+ a pair.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
Indeed. I've been eyeing their low end model, the Footprint 02.

temps

Indeed. I've been eyeing their low end model, the Footprint 02.

Me too. If they had detailed specs, spins, etc. like Neumann offers on the 310 I'd have a pair already, provided the data looked good. The design certainly checks all the boxes... I'm probably going to risk it when they come back into stock here in August.

Feyire

No at the time REV C buffers.
I would say with Hypex buffers very close though NC500 edges it. Beauty is you can upgrade or change the buffers with NC500. And I suspect the NC400 had the smaller 600 PSU.

Did you have any feedback from people who actually upgraded from a Hypex NC400 DIY kit (i.e. reference design) to your NC500 implementations and that found yours better? I would find it very hard to believe.

Also, there is nothing wrong with pairing the SMPS600 with the NC400, as that's literally what the reference design does, as I'm sure you are aware. Unless you mean to say that it was a stereo NC400 setup sharing x1 SMPS600, in which case I'd agree that there should be x2 SMPS600 or x1 SMPS1200 instead, in order to avoid any bottleneck at the power supply.

Kegemusha

Hi, I came across a Nord NC500 review, is this still accurate these days? I am interested in the purifi 1EAT400 anyway or is a big difference between the NC400-500 and the purifi?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I came across a Nord NC500 review, is this still accurate these days? I am interested in the purifi 1EAT400 anyway or is a big difference between the NC400-500 and the purifi?
Objectively these are all the top 2, 3 and 4 modules measured here in ASR as far as I know. Subjectively some people say the Purifi highs are a little smoother. And the NC500 are more powerful in 4 ohms than the others. Tough choice, along with the MP series, these are all good options.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello friends,

I recently had an interesting and exciting opportunity of testing and trying two (2) of DENTEC DP-NC400-4-EXP, one unit has 4 (four) Hypex NC400 modules with two heavy duty DC power supply (PS) in outer PS boxes (huge transformer+big capacitors+regulators). DENTEC DP-NC400-4-EXP, still not yet appears on DENTEC web site, is the latest renewal model of their DP-NC400-4.

The two of newly built DENTEC DP-NC400-4-EXP could stay at my home with President of SOUND DEN Sound Pro Shop only a short period of half-a-day for my free trials and tests in my 5-way 10-channel multichannel system. Very regretfully, we could perform only some subjective listening sessions and no objective measurement using REW and ECM8000 have been done this time.

The President of SOUND DEN Sound Pro Shop said that they will soon show DENTEC DP-NC400-4-EXP at their web site with some inside photos.

If you are interested in photos and my (our) subjective impressions on two of DENTEC DP-NC400-4-EXP, please visit my specific post in my thread.

Last edited:
OP
K

klipsch

Haven't heard each module. If it gets better than the NC500 I ended up with, I can't imagine how it'd be audible. Dead silent noise floor, good clean power, flat frequency response. Any of the topologies probably will be excellent for your needs.

Bear123

If you have a very low power requirement, the NC400 would be a fine choice, but I honestly can't see the reason to give up more than double the power that the NC500 provides. The measured SINAD difference will not be audible, but more headroom if needed certainly will be. Also, it would seem a lot more future proof if someone might ever want, need, or benefit from more power than the NC400 offers. Distortion from clipping definitely sounds bad, but -95 dB vs -105 dB SINAD will not sound any different, especially considering most real word AVR or processors will not provide a cleaner signal than the NC500 at -95 dB. My two cents. Three channels of Nord NC500 are around $1800 shipped to US.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I came across a Nord NC500 review, is this still accurate these days?
This has never been accurate...

This "review"... Of course, nothing relevant from an objective POV... and no question about the fact the all audible performance should be (or is) limited whatsoever by his Parasound preamp.:facepalm: This is nothing but some full of bias propaganda about Class A-AB vs D.
Unless... PS Audio or some audiophile brand send him a pricy ICEpower or NC amp, then he will suddenly find it much more musical, because these brands know how to implemant Class D.

Also, glad to see the "ASR Cult" being so popular in the comments. Didn't know we were so famous::cool:

Last edited:

Fjc20

DIY Nc400
Vs Nc500 mk2 from Nord
Or nc1200
As you move up are you getting better sound quality or just more power.
I see all these classD companies making there own amps now. Who does it better?
VTV
NORD ...ect

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As you move up you get more power and better measured performance. Whether the better measured performance is audible is questionable, but likely not, or even if it is, only under the best test conditions, with certain music, and to some listeners. Pick the power you need, the price you can afford and be happy, all are excellent.

OP
K

klipsch

DIY Nc400
Vs Nc500 mk2 from Nord
Or nc1200
As you move up are you getting better sound quality or just more power.
I see all these classD companies making there own amps now. Who does it better?
VTV
NORD ...ect

Moving up garners more power. In my opinion and experience the NC400 is probably plenty of clean power for most. However, I went with the NC500 based on opportunity in the market.

I would suggest to get an implementation without any aftermarket opamps. Results of measurements and general shared consensus seem to suggest the stock opamps are the way to go (also is less money).

I have experience with Nord and Apollon. No issues with either in many aspects (I'm in the States and not Europe) and did not notice differences in sound. Whichever gives you the best service and price would probably be good options.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
I generally agree with the above, though some had messier (and in one case I believe, backwards speaker connection) wiring. They aren't engineering a whole lot, that has already done by Hypex for the most part. They are assembling and mounting boards and connectors to cases..IMO, and potentially giving you a place to go for warranty service. The latter of which, may have value to you.

Top Bottom