• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAS for Music Servers

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I have been running a Netgear ReadyNAS two bay NAS with two WD Red 4TB drives for about 8 years now. One drive failed in that time. I have it in a cabinet in the living room away from any listening area, as it does generate some noise. There is a 4TB SSD plugged into one of its USB ports for weekly backups. It supports a wide variety of media servers and has built-in DLNA functionality on its default media shares.

On December 29, 2022, while I was on vacation with my family, OneDrive notified me of suspicious activity on one of our family accounts. We had been hit by a ransomware attack. The ransomware encrypted all files on all local machines and all files on all visible network drives, including the NAS. It also encrypted all visibly attached backup drives and all recovery partitions. Those encrypted files began syncing to our OneDrives, but I was able to remotely log into my router and shut it down, killing network access to everything before it got too far. I also think Microsoft limited the damage to some extent automatically.

When I got home, I physically removed every machine from the network and started the long process of formatting drives and reinstalling the OS on every machine in the house. Afterward, I was able to use OneDrive's restore points to restore all our files to two days before we left. (My best guess is someone clicked a malicious link in an email the day before we left or the morning of.) That USB drive plugged into the NAS, but not visible on the network, is what saved my very large music collection on the NAS. In the end, the script kiddie only cost me time and the PST files from businesses I closed more than 10 years ago.

The point is, do not rely on the redundancy of RAID to protect your files. Ideally, you need a robust cloud solution and some kind of detached or otherwise invisible backup storage.

If I were to solve the problem of how to serve music to my household today, I would probably just install a 2TB SSD in my main workstation, enable the DLNA feature now built into Windows, and pay for extra OneDrive storage to back it up. But since I have a NAS, and it has USB ports for invisible backup storage, I'll just keep rolling with what I have. (There is more than just media files on my NAS.)

Aldoszx

DIY NAS based on TrueNAS (formerly FreeNAS), SAS HBA and SAS HDDs,
Best flexibility and reliability from my point of view.
Can be a virtual machine under VMware, as well.

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
Don't forget unRaid
DIY NAS based on TrueNAS (formerly FreeNAS), SAS HBA and SAS HDDs,
Best flexibility and reliability from my point of view.
Can be a virtual machine under VMware, as well.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been running a Netgear ReadyNAS two bay NAS with two WD Red 4TB drives for about 8 years now. One drive failed in that time. I have it in a cabinet in the living room away from any listening area, as it does generate some noise. There is a 4TB SSD plugged into one of its USB ports for weekly backups. It supports a wide variety of media servers and has built-in DLNA functionality on its default media shares.

On December 29, 2022, while I was on vacation with my family, OneDrive notified me of suspicious activity on one of our family accounts. We had been hit by a ransomware attack. The ransomware encrypted all files on all local machines and all files on all visible network drives, including the NAS. It also encrypted all visibly attached backup drives and all recovery partitions. Those encrypted files began syncing to our OneDrives, but I was able to remotely log into my router and shut it down, killing network access to everything before it got too far. I also think Microsoft limited the damage to some extent automatically.

When I got home, I physically removed every machine from the network and started the long process of formatting drives and reinstalling the OS on every machine in the house. Afterward, I was able to use OneDrive's restore points to restore all our files to two days before we left. (My best guess is someone clicked a malicious link in an email the day before we left or the morning of.) That USB drive plugged into the NAS, but not visible on the network, is what saved my very large music collection on the NAS. In the end, the script kiddie only cost me time and the PST files from businesses I closed more than 10 years ago.

The point is, do not rely on the redundancy of RAID to protect your files. Ideally, you need a robust cloud solution and some kind of detached or otherwise invisible backup storage.

If I were to solve the problem of how to serve music to my household today, I would probably just install a 2TB SSD in my main workstation, enable the DLNA feature now built into Windows, and pay for extra OneDrive storage to back it up. But since I have a NAS, and it has USB ports for invisible backup storage, I'll just keep rolling with what I have. (There is more than just media files on my NAS.)
Scary. How is the external drive "invisible"? Like many here I'm interested in a NAS due to my large music collection but know very little about them. They seem daunting to set up...

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Scary. How is the external drive "invisible"? Like many here I'm interested in a NAS due to my large music collection but know very little about them. They seem daunting to set up...
The NAS does not expose USB drives to the network by default. So, ransomware cannot find it using network discovery.

Something like FreeNAS / TrueNAS is daunting to set up. I did it for my son over Thanksgiving break. It's a good thing I'm an IT guy...

Something like a Synology or Netgear NAS takes about 15 minutes. You plug in the drives, fire it up, and follow a wizard in your web browser, then go tweak some settings in the GUI, such as creating snapshots and backups, creating custom shares as desired, and setting permissions.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. I have used Netgear routers for many years. I didn't know they had NAS products.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
The NAS does not expose USB drives to the network by default. So, ransomware cannot find it using network discovery.

Something like FreeNAS / TrueNAS is daunting to set up. I did it for my son over Thanksgiving break. It's a good thing I'm an IT guy...

Something like a Synology or Netgear NAS takes about 15 minutes. You plug in the drives, fire it up, and follow a wizard in your web browser, then go tweak some settings in the GUI, such as creating snapshots and backups, creating custom shares as desired, and setting permissions.
I concur setting up a Synology NAS is easy. 1 tip: when you format the drives use the same format type as your regular pc or laptop. Don't use Synology's own format type (like I did).

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I concur setting up a Synology NAS is easy. 1 tip: when you format the drives use the same format type as your regular pc or laptop. Don't use Synology's own format type (like I did).

Only for an external drive, internal volumes are ext4 (or btrfs on newer systems).

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
do not rely on the redundancy of RAID to protect your files.
Even worse, the redundancy takes care of storing all your cockpit errors flawlessly. :)
RAID is about continuity.
RAID is not a backup.

I have a NAS from 2007 on. However I can connect a USB drive to my router as well. Effectively turning it into a (bit slow) NAS as well.
Something to try for free if you want to know what is NAS is about.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even worse, the redundancy takes care of storing all your cockpit errors flawlessly. :)
RAID is about continuity.
RAID is not a backup.

I have a NAS from 2007 on. However I can connect a USB drive to my router as well. Effectively turning it into a (bit slow) NAS as well.
Something to try for free if you want to know what is NAS is about.
Dumb question- my Orbi router has a USB slot. How can I access files from that drive?

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Assuming Windows, you probably see it in the Win Explorer Network

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom