• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qobuz / Volumio integration

Paul Ebert

So, last weekend, I finished assembling a Raspberry PI streamer with Volumio. After a bit of an ordeal, I was able to set it up to access the CDs I am ripping to my NAS and started trying to integrate a brand new Qobuz subscription. Currently, the Qobuz option appears in the UI and I can search for an artist, album or song and play the song. However, that seems to be the extent of the integration. I seemingly can't create a playlist or designate an album or song as a favorite or download anything.

I'm very new to all of this, but I guess I thought the integration would be significantly better than this. Am I missing something? Should I be looking at Roon or some other platform?

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use Volumio but not Qobuz. Despite the fact, that i refuse updates for quite a while now (never change a finally stable running system), i always found the support very responsive and helpful. So what about asking them directly?

REs

I use Qobuz with volumio as OS on my Rpi. Has tried roon prevously, and its nice, but I tried to find a free alternative. Installed Logitech Media Server through Volumio, created and account and installed the qobuz pluging along with some other plugins. (materials is a must). The LMS player is possible to use as a web application so it´ll run looking like an app on whatever device you´re on.

I´m happy for the time beeing. The player is not the best, but for browsing music I can use qobuz and add as favourite and find it in LMS. (browsing is possible in LMS as well)

OP
P

Paul Ebert

So (just to make sure), LMS allows you to integrate Qobuz with the free version of Volumio?

REs

Yes! I´ve had some troubles with volumio lately though. LMS will play on my Chromecast Audio devices, but no sound from the Rpi. This might be a problem of the distribution of volumio I´m running which is is customised to the audiophonics raspdac mini im running.

I´ve read elsewhere that moode is more stable than volumio, but I think the usability of volumio is better. If I cant volumio to work again I´ll try out moode or picoreplayer.

LMS in itself seems stable. It feels like a nerds free version of Roon. I guess it´s as good as your skills make it. If Roon was free I´d sure be sticking to that, but since its not LMS seems like a good alternative.

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Volumio integration on volumio is quite basic. It uses the qobuz API. Roon implements the API better with more complete access to menus etc. Roon will be a very expensive way of getting better menus for qobuz if that's all you need. Qobuz are really assuming that most people use Chromecast or airplay from their app, which is a good assumption. If you don't need your streamer to handle eq then these are probably the best options for a good UI experience with qobuz. Otherwise you can use mconnect or bubble upnp from a tablet or phone to stream to volumio or moode etc using upnp. Those applications rely on the same qobuz API and implementation is better than volumio onboth, but no where near as good as the native qobuz app. I use moode with upnp and call it 'good enough'.

Top Bottom