• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

pogo

Major Contributor
if measured at just the amp will it measure the same?
Yes, within the normal tolerances, whereby NAD does not use any off-the-shelf purifi modules, but rather modules produced and matched 'in-house'.
Matched modules are necessary for the bridge mode to work properly!

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
Intersample peak problem solved?
M66 is the first component to feature NAD’s innovative Dynamic Digital Headroom (DDH) circuitry.

Last edited:

fcracer

Forum Donor
For the M66 maybe, still not for the M33
Would be foolish for NAD to not include what appears to be a software fix for original M33 owners. I really love how they make it sound like this is a feature rather than something that should have been there all along as part of good engineering:

“When enabled via the BluOS app, DDH eliminates digital inter-sample peak clipping distortion, which can occur during digital-to-analog conversion of sudden high-frequency transients. NAD says the benefits are especially obvious with percussion instruments: cymbals are less splashy and more realistic; rim shots are less strident and more impactful.”

doorofnight

Great, I don't know exactly why I didnt try Roon before. I know someone mentioned Roon before. And I created an account some time ago.. But never used it. However, this seems to solve the problem without losing dynamics and or SQ. With only -2 dB headroom adjustment. I'll try -1 dB later on. Roon is an expensive solution for a stupid (but for me major) problem that NAD should solve / have solved a long time ago.

Many thanks for the help. Now, finally, this amplifier might well be the end game for me.

I asked NAD a few times but there's some sort of robot answering my questions. (very dificult, major issue, working on it, we know nothing)

Last edited:

h46e55x

Great, I don't know exactly why I didnt try Roon before. I know someone mentioned Roon before. And I created an account some time ago.. But never used it. However, this seems to solve the problem without losing dynamics and or SQ. With only -2 dB headroom adjustment. I'll try -1 dB later on. Roon is an expensive solution for a stupid (but for me major) problem that NAD should solve / have solved a long time ago.

Many thanks for the help. Now, finally, this amplifier might well be the end game for me.

I asked NAD a few times but there's some sort of robot answering my questions. (very dificult, major issue, working on it, we know nothing)

This thread is too long to look through, so my comment has probably been made multiple times. If you enable the tone controls of the M33 it will lower the signal by 6db (from memory). You will have to turn the volume up but the additional headroom should prevent inter-sample overs. Also Dirac should add 10db of headroom (also from memory) and Dirac is a must for me.

pogo

Major Contributor
If you enable the tone controls of the M33 it will lower the signal by 6db (from memory). You will have to turn the volume up but the additional headroom should prevent inter-sample overs. Also Dirac should add 10db of headroom (also from memory) and Dirac is a must for me.
You won't necessarily need the tone controls. If you use DL anyway, you can add a -1dB offset to the target curve. This is also very easy to do in the text editor and you just subtract x-dB for each amplitude value.
Maybe someone can try this, because I don't use the subwoofer function.

vjen

If you’re only talking about price and features, NAD c658 + c298 combines the same features (minus the fancy touch interface) and the same amp for $3650. If you don’t like the performance of the c658 based on Amir’s review, substitute a MiniDSP SHD, Bluesound Node 2i, and your choice of phono preamp for under $4000 total. You could use the built-in streaming on the MiniDSP and substitute a less expensive Purifi amplifier to save more.

If I’m adding $2k, I’d say the Anthem STR preamp plus a pair of Purifi monoblocks and the streamer of your choice would probably be better if only for the convenient integration of subwoofers.

If beauty is a factor the M33 might take that prize, and it is the only thing on the market with the feature set in a single package (as far as I know). I’d buy one, and I’d pay a bit more for the slick interface and one-box convenience, but not $1350 more than their own c658+c298 which has exactly the same functionality.
Agreed. The power amps of M33 and C298 are identical. With an upgraded BluOS UI over C658, NAD shouldn't call it "M33" and market it "Masters." It's with all the "C" class building blocks.
Also, the use of low-grade ribbon cable for the analog audio signals from the pre amp outputs to the power amp inputs is not an audiophile engineering.
1687204537111.png

fcracer

Forum Donor
The most recent update to my m33 completely removed all my diraclive settings. Has anyone else experienced this?
Which update are you referring to? I haven’t seen anything recently. The latest one I saw was BluOS 3.20.52. Released May 23, 2023. Are you referring to the Dirac Live software update? If so, it’s recommended to stick with DL 3.4.4 as the newer versions are very buggy.

Question re: connecting two subs.

I will be connecting two subs to my M33. Is it better to use the RCA preouts to connect or the labelled RCA subwoofer outputs?