• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M23

pogo

Major Contributor
The sound impressions manifest themselves and this time with some measurements:
Link

You can easily see the better shielding measures compared to the C298.

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
The bridge mode would be interesting to measure again. The stereo mode is already known by the M33 and there are no surprises to be expected, since according to NAD identical design to the M33.
Here are the first sound impressions M23&M33 in Bridge Mode: Link

pogo

Major Contributor
I didn't expect that either. I'll have to listen to it when I get the chance.

Powerbench

Back in the 80-90s NAD electronics was famous not only for its Power Envelope Design but its ability to bridge and flexibility ie. braiding a NAD 7100 receiver and 2100 power amp, 7400+2400,7600+2600 etc. The Monitor series look awesome sounded pretty good and was good value for the money. It was my first real system with a 3020e+ NAD5000 cd and Paradigm 5s then the Export Monitors.
The monitor series look cool , was entry level hifi and look even better with the rack handles IMO.
I think NAD was one of leading innovators along with other entering the digital (cd) age at the time. It is what they again doing.

Yes specs and measurements say a lot but really if your happy with your investment is really what is enjoyable.

OP
pablolie

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometime soon, I'll have to see if I can really hear a difference between a Purifi and an Ncore design. I remember spending a frustrating 2 weeks trying to decide between the MAD M22 and the Benchmark AHB2. I couldn't really hear a difference. At some point in time, the fact something measures "better" doesn't mean it make an audible difference... Naturally, if you're shopping, you might as well go for gold.

pogo

Major Contributor
Possibility to hear the M23 and more: Link

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Sometime soon, I'll have to see if I can really hear a difference between a Purifi and an Ncore design. I remember spending a frustrating 2 weeks trying to decide between the MAD M22 and the Benchmark AHB2. I couldn't really hear a difference. At some point in time, the fact something measures "better" doesn't mean it make an audible difference... Naturally, if you're shopping, you might as well go for gold.
Keep us updated about it because that is something I´m quite curious about too.

The other side of the comparison would be taking a look at power consumption and dissipated heat for the same workload (I loathe heat).

pogo

Major Contributor
Here are the first sound impressions M23&M33 in Bridge Mode: Link
I have to correct myself here, now that I have the entire test report. The described improvement now also makes sense.
The M23 was used in horizontal bi-amping mode on the Epicons with the audible improvements described.
The testers did not like the Bridge Mode as much as bi-amping on the Epicons, and that was probably due to the halved DF.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
The testers did not like the Bridge Mode as much as bi-amping on the Epicons, and that was probably due to...
...sighted evaluation and no controls.

Reactions: ENG

donnrut

Maybe I'm stupid. I've read all the comments on this thread, the arguments about this and that and other. I do believe there is a difference between 2nd order and 3rd order harmonics. Nelson Pass has spent a lot of time and building different amps to different goals. And having sung a ittle bit in chorus, it is always better to miss your note by a harmomic or an octave, not by a flat or sharp.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I do believe there is a difference between 2nd order and 3rd order harmonics. Nelson Pass has spent a lot of time and building different amps to different goals. And having sung a ittle bit in chorus, it is always better to miss your note by a harmomic or an octave, not by a flat or sharp.
Yes, a factor of 3/2 in frequency.

Is any of that "harmonics tuning" that Nelson does actually audible? To date, I've seen no evidence that it is.

sngreen

So has anyone listened to NAD M23 yet? What's the impression, does it go strong?

sngreen

pre-ordered the M23 this week, initially ordered the C298, but I switched when the M23 was announced. It will probably not be a huge difference between the C298 but I just want the best 2 channel Purifi amp NAD can offer, and I can appreciate the better looks. I also looked at the M28 but with the main focus on stereo listening and movie watching on the 2nd place it did not make any sense to put Purifi quality amps on surround channels. I will use a Audiophonics NC502MP Ncore amp for surrounds and an Audiophonics NC500MP mono for the center channel.
Now waiting for the M23 to be officially released for order.
Satisfied? What did it replace?

pogo

Major Contributor
Which speakers are to be operated on it?

Sibemolle71

Avalon Avatar. It should be 6ohm and 85db and it should be connected to a Mark Levinson 326s preamp.

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
I am already waiting for the upcoming listening comparisons:

Top Bottom