• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M23

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I am going to compare the M23 when It arrives to my Audiophonics Hypex Ncore NC502 amp. Both would measure well based on the Purifi and Ncore measurements already done by Amir, but I do expect to hear differences.
If you expect to, you will, this I promise.

If you just use your ears, you won't. This I also promise.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is Hypex obsolete now with Purifi taking over high end amplification?
Nope. For now, Purifi lacks a bit on power. It cannot compete against NC500, NC1200 or NC2K Ncores on this point.

Personally, I don't understand this... Why releasing the M23 at such a premium price, only few months/weeks before the 1ET7040 launch? Makes no sense to me.
but I do expect to hear differences.
Then you will...:rolleyes:

Edit: grilled by @SIY!;).

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
Personally, I don't understand this... Why releasing the M23 at such a premium price, only few months/weeks before the 1ET7040 launch? Makes no sense to me.
First and foremost, you have to see this device as the matching announced bridge-mode extension for the M33.

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
Could you describe your procedures and controls?
What is so clearly audible does not need these things.

According to STEREO (a German audio magazine):
All loudspeakers, from large-volume bass monsters to compact shelf speakers or speakers with low chassis mass, should now be able to exploit their full potential. DF switching is done by means of a push button.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Uh uh.
First and foremost, you have to see this device as the matching announced bridge-mode extension for the M33.
Which does not justify the 1500€ extra over the C298. Even more for an amp module that still not recommended for bridging by its own manufacturer.;)

pogo

Major Contributor
Which does not justify the 1500€ extra over the C298.
Do you know the design differences to make that claim?
NAD is actually known for not charging inflated prices.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

According to STEREO (a German audio magazine):
All loudspeakers, from large-volume bass monsters to compact shelf speakers or speakers with low chassis mass, should now be able to exploit their full potential. DF switching is done by means of a push button.
Mmmm ... found this gem from a Stereo Magazine cable review. I am sure the differences are so clearly audible that no control is necessary too ;)

stereo mag.png

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD is actually known for not charging inflated prices.
You mean.. like asking 3k€ for the NAD M10?

...Or 1700€ for the new C700, which is still using obsolete UcD modules? Come on...
Do you know the design differences to make that claim?
I do not. But I know at the end that is a pretty box with two 1ET400A and some custom SMPS inside. That's enough for me. They should have wait for the 1ET7040 to justify such a pricetag in their own lineup. Period.

pogo

Major Contributor
Bullshit.
I do not believe that the respected manufacturer T+A promises BS and since I and others can confirm the mentioned differences with different DFs, also independent of this device, we should be able to end this discussion here.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I do not believe that the respected manufacturer T+A promises BS and since I and others can confirm the mentioned differences with different DFs, also independent of this device, we should be able to end this discussion here.
There is no bigger fan of T + A than me (sorry, that's an American joke), but your unsubstantiated claims and denial of the need for basic controls for your extraordinary claims continue to beclown you.

Norway

I am pulling the plug on ether two C298 or the M23 for my Altec VOTT A2 system active crossover via the MiniDSP SHD. I need the variable gain in order to lower the gain to match the ultra high efficiency drivers( 110 db+). The M23 has fixed 3 position where the C298 is continually from 8-30 db gain. Will the rather high price premium for the M23 be worth it? I’m not interested in the looks as the amps will be stoved away in the back of the enormous Altec cabinets.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am pulling the plug on ether two C298 or the M23 for my Altec VOTT A2 system active crossover via the MiniDSP SHD. I need the variable gain in order to lower the gain to match the ultra high efficiency drivers( 110 db+). The M23 has fixed 3 position where the C298 is continually from 8-30 db gain. Will the rather high price premium for the M23 be worth it? I’m not interested in the looks as the amps will be stoved away in the back of the enormous Altec cabinets.
Tell me what you see as being the advantages of the M23. I personally don't see any.

pogo

Major Contributor
NAD announced this unit last year as a suitable upgrade for the M33:
The NAD M23 is essentially the power section of the M33 in its own cabinet, and both amplifiers can be bridged to mono power amplifiers via a switch on the rear panel.
Bridge Mode Setup M33 & M23

Martyreasoner

I get the concept, but I am left scratching my head honestly. I think this product has exactly one customer who I would recommend this to... (It's you).

Not many people who want an integrated amp and monoblocks at same time.

You get none of the convenience and compactness of a integrated solution and none of the upgradeability and choice of seperates.

Also, No native USB in... Gotta pay extra.

Also, you have to use the unbalanced inputs on your m23.

I look forward to measurements of channel matching between the integrated channel and the monoblock channel too. I have my doubts.

pogo

Major Contributor
I think this product has exactly one customer who I would recommend this to... (It's you).
Thanks for the recommendation, but I will probably not change my setup until the end of my life;) The M33 alone has so much power that I can not drive out. The M33 is a real hobby killer and an upgrade will not bring any further audible benefits from my point of view, even if I would go back to seperates. But good that there is this M23 option of performance expansion and the M33 also has MDC slots for future expansions, whatever they may be. There is still a slot width on the M33 for which there is no MDC module yet...

dnyvdm

Thanks for the recommendation, but I will probably not change my setup until the end of my life;) The M33 alone has so much power that I can not drive out. The M33 is a real hobby killer and an upgrade will not bring any further audible benefits from my point of view, even if I would go back to seperates. But good that there is this M23 option of performance expansion and the M33 also has MDC slots for future expansions, whatever they may be. There is still a slot width on the M33 for which there is no MDC module yet...
NAD did provide MDC's for older surround receivers and AV preamps to upgrade to Atmos/Dirac/BluOs and HDMI/Bluesound and for the C series so when new important technology is introduced NAD wil provide an MDC (newer improved bluesound, 8K hmdi,.... etc)

pogo

Major Contributor
Here are the first measurements and sound impressions: Link

It would be interesting to make a listening comparison to a T+A A200.

pogo

Major Contributor
The German trade magazine STEREO has now also tested the M23, with similar sonic impressions.
Sound quality:
M23 = 93%, same as the T+A, great job from NAD
C298 = 80%

Top Bottom