• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M23

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Is Hypex obsolete now with Purifi taking over high end amplification?

Martyreasoner

The m23 has the same module as the c298. I don't get it. Very similar product with large price delta from the same company. The Hypex modules are priced cheaper to reflect their slightly worse measurements. Room for both in the market.

TomJ

Who knows, maybe the M23 has an SMPS with upgraded caps and better QA (eg fewer problems with inductor coil buzz), a better internal layout (note the rear panel differences between the M23 and the C 298), and a buffer board with a mute relay that prevents DC offset from reaching the speakers before the amp relays activate during power-on. Or does the C 298 already have that? I had an unexpected problem with that with an EVAL-1.

Last edited:
OP
pablolie

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The m23 has the same module as the c298. I don't get it. Very similar product with large price delta from the same company. The Hypex modules are priced cheaper to reflect their slightly worse measurements. Room for both in the market.
I was being a tad facetious of course :)

I very much doubt any differences are audible between all these products, they are all pretty stellar. But then again there's the case design quality, which used to matter to me, but I learned no one pays attention as a rule... :)

It will be telling which one NAD discontinues. Their premium products seem to have a shorter timespan than ever before, clearly in order to keep up with market fashionability....

Martyreasoner

I was being a tad facetious of course :)
My bad. Didn't catch the joke. I can be dense sometimes.

Who knows, maybe the M23 has an SMPS with upgraded caps and better QA (eg fewer problems with inductor coil buzz), and a buffer board with a mute relay that prevents DC offset from reaching the speakers before the amp relays activate during power-on. Or does the C 298 already have that? I had an unexpected problem with that with an EVAL-1. Also a better internal layout, note the rear panel differences between the M23 and the C 298.
The m23 has fewer features. You'd have to ask someone smarter than me to comment on the componentry though.

dnyvdm

pre-ordered the M23 this week, initially ordered the C298, but I switched when the M23 was announced. It will probably not be a huge difference between the C298 but I just want the best 2 channel Purifi amp NAD can offer, and I can appreciate the better looks. I also looked at the M28 but with the main focus on stereo listening and movie watching on the 2nd place it did not make any sense to put Purifi quality amps on surround channels. I will use a Audiophonics NC502MP Ncore amp for surrounds and an Audiophonics NC500MP mono for the center channel.
Now waiting for the M23 to be officially released for order.

Martyreasoner

But technically (different specs/curcuit design) other bridged purifis does not match with my bridged M33!
Maybe, but reading through the m33 review, it's not possible to isolate the power amp on the m33 to test. There is no way to verify your anecdotal view of your m33.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Maybe, but reading through the m33 review, it's not possible to isolate the power amp on the m33 to test.
That's something that annoyed me despite my overall lust for the M33. NAD even had this feature on the old 3020

Reactions: ENG

pogo

Major Contributor
There is no way to verify your anecdotal view of your m33.
NAD announced this unit last year as a suitable upgrade for the M33:
The NAD M23 is essentially the power section of the M33 in its own cabinet, and both amplifiers can be bridged to mono power amplifiers via a switch on the rear panel.

Martyreasoner

NAD announced this unit last year as a suitable upgrade for the M33:
The NAD M23 is essentially the power section of the M33 in its own cabinet, and both amplifiers can be bridged to mono power amplifiers via a switch on the rear panel.
I look forward to reading an objective review of the m23 one day.

pogo

Major Contributor
The bridge mode would be interesting to measure again. The stereo mode is already known by the M33 and there are no surprises to be expected, since according to NAD identical design to the M33.

Martyreasoner

The bridge mode would be interesting to measure again. The stereo mode is already known by the M33 and there are no surprises to be expected, since according to NAD identical design to the M33.
Except that it is not known. Your M33 is an integrated product and the power amp has not been tested independent of the rest of the unit, because it cannot. This is the point I was making in post #8.

Anyway, it makes sense to wait for measurements/reviews before casting judgment on the comparisons between the M23 and the C298 or other purifi power.

pogo

Major Contributor
Except that it is not known. Your M33 is an integrated product and the power amp has not been tested independent of the rest of the unit, because it cannot.
According to test review here in ASR: The clean heart of Purifi still beats inside the NAD M33!
And if you want to listen to music, you still need a source. That's why I don't understand the argument 'integrated product'!?

Martyreasoner

According to test review here in ASR: The clean heart of Purifi still beats inside the NAD M33!
And if you want to listen to music, you still need a source. That's why I don't understand the argument 'integrated product'!?
I am not going to discuss this further. I made my point.

OP
pablolie

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There may be a marginal difference in measurements, but I doubt there's an audible difference between competent Ncore and Purifi implementations. :) It's more of what is better suited to one's needs. Naturally when one's in the market, getting the newest and shiniest is fun. :)

pogo

Major Contributor
I doubt there's an audible difference between competent Ncore and Purifi implementations.
With a T+A A200 (Purifi) you can definitely hear differences. It has a switchable damping factor and can thus be adapted to the speakers or taste. See also here:
Link

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
There may be a marginal difference in measurements, but I doubt there's an audible difference between competent Ncore and Purifi implementations. :) It's more of what is better suited to one's needs. Naturally when one's in the market, getting the newest and shiniest is fun. :)
I have compared both. And the results are what you'd expect.

dnyvdm

I am going to compare the M23 when It arrives to my Audiophonics Hypex Ncore NC502 amp. Both would measure well based on the Purifi and Ncore measurements already done by Amir, but I do expect to hear differences.

Top Bottom