• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Sennheiser 598s sound like trash after experiencing Genelec

Pancreas

For the longest time, all I had was a cheap soundbar from Taotronics. So "audiophile" for me was the 598s. I would either connect them directly to my PC or to a Scarlett solo I had

I haven't used them in a long time since I got Genelec 8030c

I also have a very good audio interface Motu Ultralite MK5 which has ESS Sabre32.

I bought new cables for these headphones. I connected to the Motu which is a better DAC than my PC or Scarlett. The sound is like mehhh now and I used to think they sounded good. There is nothing wrong with them, they just don't sound as good as I thought they did

I've been using Genelec for almost a year, and now everything else I hear sounds like trash in comparison

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Are you EQ'ing the headphones?

Music1969

Major Contributor
No but I'm not EQ the speakers either so lol
You listen very close ? 1m distance ?

Probably dont need any EQ in nearfield

I've been using Genelec for almost a year, and now everything else I hear sounds like trash in comparison
Yes this happens after you hear accurate sound reproduction

Now get HiFiMan Sundara or Dan Clarke Audio headphones that Amir has measured here

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Frequency response from Amir's review of the HD598SE (modified with replacement "leather" pads):
index.php

Amir's conclusion:
Conclusions
The measurements and subjective results by no less than three humans agree that out of box tuning of this headphone is horrible. This doesn't jive with any review I read on the 598 or 598 SE. I tend to think that there is more to this SE version than just color back. Anyway, I am not going to generalize the response to all 598 SEs. The walk-away point though is that objective measurements proved their worth strongly in confirming subjective listening tests and showing the path to equalization.

For this specific Sennheiser HD598SE, I cannot recommend it without EQ. It simply is horrid. With EQ however, it becomes a keeper. I understand you can pick these up used for $100 or so at times. If so, and they all measure/EQ like this, they would be a good choic.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The lesson here is to not listen to good speakers. You'll just get spoiled.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I kind of agree. There are no clear audible benefits in my headphones compared to my 2.1 Genelec system. I wouldn't say the headphones sound bad, it's just a different experience.

Main benefit of headphones is that you get the top tier performance so much cheaper. It's a rude awakening if one decides to get speakers to match for example 50€ Truthear Zero Reds.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

The point is the quality of Genelec

Im not using EQ on either, but I do plan to get sonarworks for both speakers and headphones.

I just recently bought the Genelec stands $250 for my speakers.

My room isn’t the greatest but I plan in putting some sound treatment. I did receive some recommendations from a sound engineer so i have an idea what to use and where to put it

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Save up and get a Sennheiser HD800S, then apply EQ to taste. After that you will want to replace your Genelecs. :cool:

I have big ears and a big head. After using the 598s for more than half hour i get hot, fatigued, and a bit uncomfortable and these are supposed to be one of the most if not the most comfortable headphones in the sennheiser line

Zensō

Major Contributor
I have big ears and a big head. After using the 598s for more than half hour i get hot, fatigued, and a bit uncomfortable and these are supposed to be one of the most if not the most comfortable headphones in the sennheiser line
In my experience, there is no headphone more comfortable than the HD800S. Certainly, the 598 is not in the same class comfort wise or sonically.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Im on windows
For Win pooders install EQ APO and then install Peace EQ as the GUI/skin. Open Peace and adjust.

Fenix84

Had the 599s which are similar, went to the 6XXs, never wanted to wear the 599s again.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
For the longest time, all I had was a cheap soundbar from Taotronics. So "audiophile" for me was the 598s. I would either connect them directly to my PC or to a Scarlett solo I had

I haven't used them in a long time since I got Genelec 8030c

I also have a very good audio interface Motu Ultralite MK5 which has ESS Sabre32.

I bought new cables for these headphones. I connected to the Motu which is a better DAC than my PC or Scarlett. The sound is like mehhh now and I used to think they sounded good. There is nothing wrong with them, they just don't sound as good as I thought they did

HD 598:

frequency-response-graph.png

Lacks subbass which was a bit masked by excess warmth (midbass hump) and a little bit of 'sharpness' in it.
Not sounding similar to genelec monitors but was not a particular poor sounding headphone.

The HD599 had a bit better bass extension but was overall quite similar but not the same.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have some pretty nice headphones (LCD-XC) and I've EQ'd them and even added crossfeed. I still prefer my speakers. Speakers have a physical / tangible experience (especially in the bass) that headphones lack, and the soundstage on headphones is just never really as interesting to me as it is with speakers.

It's too bad because in terms of FR and distortion, headphones can beat speakers for much less money, dollar for dollar... but IMO speakers are the gold standard.

I know not everyone agrees, but I can totally understand your point of view.

That said, you should DEFINITELY EQ those cans. It's a free, major upgrade. EQAPO and don't look back.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I have some pretty nice headphones (LCD-XC) and I've EQ'd them and even added crossfeed. I still prefer my speakers. Speakers have a physical / tangible experience (especially in the bass) that headphones lack, and the soundstage on headphones is just never really as interesting to me as it is with speakers.

It's too bad because in terms of FR and distortion, headphones can beat speakers for much less money, dollar for dollar... but IMO speakers are the gold standard.

I know not everyone agrees, but I can totally understand your point of view.

That said, you should DEFINITELY EQ those cans. It's a free, major upgrade. EQAPO and don't look back.

They're also uncomfortable to use. It doesn't matter if they are the most comfortable pair, they are still uncomfortable in comparison to having nothing on your head.

I would much rather not sacrifice comfort, in that case, headphones for me, are more of a privacy gadget, only used when i need privacy, if i dont need privacy, then speakers all day everyday

Top Bottom