• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I connect my speakers to TV?

Pancreas

IMG_0264.jpeg

Since my room is small, this is the only setup I can do. There is no space to put TV anywhere else except on the wall.

I have Genelec 8030c connected to my audio interface Motu MK5 ultralite.

This interface has 10 line outs, which Im using two of them (main out) for the speakers. It also has 8 line in. Two in front for instrument or mic. Six on back.

I could connect my TV optical to the audio interface optical. Would it be overkill?

How can I use my speakers with TV. Can i buy something else to dedicate it?

IMG_0178.jpeg

IMG_0173.jpeg

staticV3

Master Contributor
I could connect my TV optical to the audio interface optical. Would it be overkill?
Better than the built-in speakers if you ask me.

How can I use my speakers with TV. Can i buy something else to dedicate it?
What you suggested with the mk5 sounds pretty reasonable if you want to keep using the 8030C with both your TV and PC.

Or are you looking for an extra DAC that you could dedicate to just the TV setup?

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Better than the built-in speakers if you ask me.

What you suggested with the mk5 sounds pretty reasonable if you want to keep using the 8030C with both your TV and PC.

Or are you looking for an extra DAC that you could dedicate to just the TV setup?

I mentioned this on a previous thread and someone told me it may be overkill to use my interface for everything

Also, if I were to connect my TV to audio interface, then I won’t be able to connect the ps5 to audio interface with one of those USB to optical devices such as the Pom100 which you recommended before for ps5 sound

I haven’t bought it yet, but I may go that route.

The Motu has Optical in and out.

I’m more interested in getting better sound from my Ps5 than TV, as I use computer monitor for ps5

If I get an extra dac for TV setup, then would I connect to speakers when they are connected to my interface?

Could I connect the TV to audio interface with an optical to TRS cable?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Also, if I were to connect my TV to audio interface, then I won’t be able to connect the ps5 to audio interface with one of those USB to optical devices such as the Pom100 which you recommended before for ps5 sound
Yes you would. The TV will output PS5 sound via its Toslink output.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Yes you would. The TV will output PS5 sound via its Toslink output.

I want the ps5 sound to come out of my speakers. I also play ps5 through my monitor, not the TV.

You recommended before the pom100, so I can connected to the ps5 usb port, then optical to my audio interface.

If I connect my tv to the interface optical, I won’t have a port for the pom100

Maybe I’m not understanding correctly

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 305574

Since my room is small, this is the only setup I can do. There is no space to put TV anywhere else except on the wall.

I have Genelec 8030c connected to my audio interface Motu MK5 ultralite.

This interface has 10 line outs, which Im using two of them (main out) for the speakers. It also has 8 line in. Two in front for instrument or mic. Six on back.

It might be overkill to buy the audio interface, but since you already have it just use it. I use my RME ADI-2 PRO fs with a Mackie mixer and a professional Beyer Dynamic microphone together with my Genelec 8020a for Teams conferences. This certainly is overkill but it's already installed so I use it.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
My recommendation would be depending on what TV that is. Get a 42 inch OLED with 120hz and VRR.. hdmi 2.1

Use it as a desktop monitor. Use the optical out for your interface.

Put the desk in the middle of that wall so you have some space for a kallax shelf and put all your consoles in there. Maybe your computer as well.

That way you get some space on your desk for genelec speaker stands.

On the left wall would be space for a absorber Panel. Do some cable management.

But you have really a lot of open Threads now with kinda the same question.

Willem

Major Contributor
There is almost no TV that cannot benefit from using even a modest stereo system for its audio. I have done so for many years and never regretted it. Currently I use the optical output of my old Panasonic plasma screen into my RME ADI-2. Since I use multiple optical sources I use this automatic input switch: https://www.tindie.com/products/beni_skate/automatic-spdif-opticalrca-audio-switch/ RME tested the switch and was impressed.

Last edited:

MinimumFaze

Forum Donor
There is almost no TV that cannot benefit from using even a modest a stereo system for its audio.
100000% this. In other words, you can spend as little $$ or effort as possible and it will still sound an order of magnitude better than the sound coming out of the built-in TV speakers. Don't overthink it. I have two small NHT monitors purchased from Goodwill for $20 and a thin profile Jamo 10" subwoofer for $100 fed by an SMSL AD 18 (reviewed here - terrible measurements) via my TV's optical out and it's like watching in a movie theatre compared to the TV speakers.

1691958633238.png

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

100000% this. In other words, you can spend as little $$ or effort as possible and it will still sound an order of magnitude better than the sound coming out of the built-in TV speakers. Don't overthink it. I have two small NHT monitors purchased from Goodwill for $20 and a thin profile Jamo 10" subwoofer for $100 fed by an SMSL AD 18 (reviewed here - terrible measurements) via my TV's optical out and it's like watching in a movie theatre compared to the TV speakers.

View attachment 305634

but why should I buy cheap speakers when I have the Genelec which surpasses most mainstream speakers on the market?

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

My recommendation would be depending on what TV that is. Get a 42 inch OLED with 120hz and VRR.. hdmi 2.1

Use it as a desktop monitor. Use the optical out for your interface.

Put the desk in the middle of that wall so you have some space for a kallax shelf and put all your consoles in there. Maybe your computer as well.

That way you get some space on your desk for genelec speaker stands.

On the left wall would be space for a absorber Panel. Do some cable management.

But you have really a lot of open Threads now with kinda the same question.

a 42" TV at desk distance may be death sentence for my vision

Willem

Major Contributor
but why should I buy cheap speakers when I have the Genelec which surpasses most mainstream speakers on the market?
Of course you shouldn't. I think the argument was that even cheap speakers make a big improvement. In my own case the TV plays through a pair of Quad electrostats and three subwoofers. The resulting TV sound is glorious, and not just for TV news but of course also for Bluray discs of opera or ballet.
The limitation is of course the location. Speakers have to be located for the most convenient viewing location and vice versa.

Rotiv

Taking advantage off this theme, for sound tv 2.0 or 2.1, is it possible to connect a hdmi arc extractor with optical output to dac with optical in and balanced outputs to connect to active speakers?
And control volume from tv remote?
Really need some help.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Taking advantage off this theme, for sound tv 2.0 or 2.1, is it possible to connect a hdmi arc extractor with optical output to dac with optical in and balanced outputs to connect to active speakers?
And control volume from tv remote?
Really need some help.
My Arc extractor that I use with an LG E7, cannot do volume control.
As a result, volume control has to happen after the extractor.

It's technically possible for an extractor like that to be capable of volume control, but that would require a built-in DSP chip that I don't think is very common in this class of device.

SMSL recently released the PS100 DAC with Arc input and volume control as far as I can tell, but w/o balanced output.
I'd wait until that Arc input makes its way to other SMSL DACs, then buy one with Bal out.

Last edited:

Willem

Major Contributor
But why not use the optical of coaxial output of the tv? The remote of my tv only controls the tv's speaker so I turn that down and control the volume using the better volume control of my RME ADI-2 DAC.

staticV3

Master Contributor
But why not use the optical of coaxial output of the tv?
The TV's volume is frequently locked to 100% when you use Toslink or Coax out.
If you want to use the TV's remote for volume and use digital out, HDMI Arc is often the only way.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your PC (or MAC) has TV viewing capability (access to optical TV channel by such software), I would like to suggest connecting your TV as "second PC monitor (of 4K resolution?)" with one slim HDMI cable for visual use only and you would process all the audio by your existing audio system.

I discussed this approach in my post here, and you can find my latest system setup (including Panasonic 55-inch OLED TV as second PC monitor) here on my project thread.

Last edited:

RosalieTheDog

I want the ps5 sound to come out of my speakers. I also play ps5 through my monitor, not the TV.

You recommended before the pom100, so I can connected to the ps5 usb port, then optical to my audio interface.

If I connect my tv to the interface optical, I won’t have a port for the pom100

Maybe I’m not understanding correctly
How is your PC connected?

The device Willem attached is great for routing two optical devices to one optical in, if a bit expensive. A cheaper solution is an optical to coax converter, which you can use for the tv or PS5, so you can have one attached with optical and the other with coax.

I don't understand who would say this is overkill: why not use the good gear you have to its maximum potential?

But why not use the optical of coaxial output of the tv
I have the same question, I don't really understand the use case scenario of hdmi extractor if the tv has optical out (I do understand in the case of the use of a projector or so).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My first HD TV had optical output that was controlled via the remote. While not SOTA quality using that to feed Quad ESLs and later Soundlab ESLs was super good. You have some very good speakers. Use them. My advice for video is eventually add a sub even if a small one.

Top Bottom