• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My new Open Baffle Speakers Tri-Art Audio

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These speakers were delivered today and they sound fantastic. Tri_Art open baffle speakers; very different looking to say the least. Comprised of a 15" woofer, 8" full-range driver 1"fabric-dome tweeter and a super tweeter. I'm driving them with a 95 watt per channel tube integrated amplifier and source is a Pro-ject TT, Rega Apollo CD Player or Oppo BDP-95.

Attachments

• Tri Art Speakers front .jpg
    Tri Art Speakers front .jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,169
  • Tri Art Speakers side view .jpg
    Tri Art Speakers side view .jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 952
Last edited:

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I saw these at the audio show in Toronto. They sounded good.

OP
Canuck57

Canuck57

Forum Donor
me too, I spent quite a bit of time in the Tri-Art room Friday & Saturday last October, we may have been there at the same time! cool!

D

Deleted member 15250

The driver damping on the back with wood pushing on the magnet is cool *thumbs up*

OP
Canuck57

Canuck57

Forum Donor
My wife's first reaction when she saw them was "those are the ugliest frickin' things I have ever seen," true they're an acquired taste!

OP
Canuck57

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Are you still happy with the SOUND, please?:)
Have you had a chance to compare your Tri-Art's with any other OB's?:facepalm:

Yes I'm very satisfied with the sound. I haven't compared them to any other open baffle speakers. I've owned many many speakers over the years though about 40 or so.

OP
Canuck57

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Excellent. You've found your Holy Grail!:)
What listening distance would you recommend? Do you see any need for sub(s)?:facepalm:

I find the bass different from conventional box speakers in that it goes deep (15" woofers) however there is no upper bass bump/bloom and not having a cabinet makes the bass less impactful. I've added a cheap subwoofer that nicely adds some impact to the bass. I've ordered a SVS SP 1000 Pro subwoofer as it seems well regarded and it should be a much better subwoofer than the one I'm currently using. It also has the app. whereby it's easier to blend in the subwoofer with the main speakers.

Having said that, a subwoofer is not essential, the sound is akin to STAX headphones where the bass goes deep however it's very linear to the midrange without any hump in the bass to make it more prominent.

The wall behind my speakers to the back of my couch is approx. 15 feet. Tri-Art recommends that ideally the speakers are 5 feet from the wall behind them, therefore my listening position is 10 feet away. Ideally my couch (listening position) should not be against the back wall - however we all have to compromise. I pull the speakers out when listening and push them back otherwise.

FYI - I'm using the Tri-Art passive preamplifier and two Tri-Art class D stereo power amplifiers with their speakers. Bi-amping.

Last edited:

pads

Beautiful speakers, big fan of open baffle, mine are Hawthorne audio DIY, added a pair of of ribbon super tweeters which definitely tied things together. They need space for sure but are remarkable in sound, I'd be hard pressed to back to enclosed speakers.

OP
Canuck57

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Beautiful speakers, big fan of open baffle, mine are Hawthorne audio DIY, added a pair of of ribbon super tweeters which definitely tied things together. They need space for sure but are remarkable in sound, I'd be hard pressed to back to enclosed speakers.

Very cool, when you get a chance please post a picture of your speakers.

pads

Affectionally referred to as the Tombstones....
tombstones.jpg

OP
Canuck57

Canuck57

Forum Donor
Top Bottom