• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My Gigaworks T3 died, I would like to upgrade for better.

Myloween

Hello, Sorry if I ask on the wrong place but I'm a bit lost.
My Creative Gigaworks T3 kit died again and I'm not being able to repair it this time. So I would like to change it and upgrade my audio at the same time.

I'm a newbie about audio speakers but I really liked the sound of my gigaworks so I search something similar or neutral around 600 euros ( I probably can't put really more).
One of my main concern is to have clean and distinguible medium / low as I love them and I play bass too. Which leads me to a big question, I'm not sure I can do without a subwoofer.

At this time I'm really balanced between having 2 Yamaha HS8 or a pair of Klipsch R-50M + a sub R-120SW.
What is your recommendation, and do you think I will really lose something without subwoofer (especially compared to the low end kit I had) ?

In the meantime, I tried some old broken Technics SB3030 with a NAD 3020B, and what I can say, I miss a bit the low frequencies on them.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

ozzy9832001

You'll probably want the sub either way...it will help to control the room modes and enable more bass to be heard at the listening position.

The Yamaha's have an 8" woofer and are rated down to 38hz...but probably begin their roll off higher than that. The Klipsch go down to 58hz and would require a subwoofer. Either way, the sub would add extension to both systems, since it goes to about 29hz. Can't go wrong with a decent 12" sub.

If you are primarily going for music then the sub probably isn't required for the Yamahas since the bass will only go down to about 41hz and the kick drum will be tuned higher than that anyway.

If you want to watch a lot of movies and feel the explosions and things, then get the sub either way. I have no experience with either system. My gut is saying the Yamahas with the sub would be king.

OP
Myloween

Myloween

Thank you for the reply.
Hum yes, a sub seems to be an important part for multimedia usage, taking the Yamaha HS8 + a sub seems to be a bit out of my price range though.
Maybe a good alternative could be a JBL LSR310S sub + a pair of Yamaha HS5 (more in line with my current price range).
What I must look to be sure of the compatibility ?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Depends a lot on how much you want to spend. But if on a budget the Edifier MR4 paired with a 10 inch sub will be pretty hard to beat for a desktop 2.1.

OP
Myloween

Myloween

I'm not sure if I'm really convince by the clarity of the Edifier on medium and high, it's a bit hard to get a good idea with my current audio but I don't know...

EDIT :
Hum in fact after listening them, I maybe prefer the Presonus E5 over the Yamaha HS5. But after reflexion I will probably go with the HS8 and buy a subwoofer later if I really need it.

Last edited:

ozzy9832001

I'm not sure if I'm really convince by the clarity of the Edifier on medium and high, it's a bit hard to get a good idea with my current audio but I don't know...

EDIT :
Hum in fact after listening them, I maybe prefer the Presonus E5 over the Yamaha HS5. But after reflexion I will probably go with the HS8 and buy a subwoofer later if I really need it.
I have the Edifier R2850's and I love them. Close to the Yamaha's that you linked (8" woofer), but the Edifiers are a 3-way design. I pair them with the Jamo C912 sub and a poopy Kanto 6 sub and everything sounds fantastic.

OP
Myloween

Myloween

I have the Edifier R2850's and I love them. Close to the Yamaha's that you linked (8" woofer), but the Edifiers are a 3-way design. I pair them with the Jamo C912 sub and a poopy Kanto 6 sub and everything sounds fantastic.
Hum ok, I will try to take a look at them tomorrow, but overall, the Edifiers seems a bit too "muddy" for me.

But who knows, I was close to take some Presonus E5 with the JBL sub, but when I saw many complains about hiss, I completely changed my mind about them.
It's really hard to decide what should I take without being able to try. At this point, I think I will just buy something, and return it if I don't like it.

ozzy9832001

Hum ok, I will try to take a look at them tomorrow, but overall, the Edifiers seems a bit too "muddy" for me.

But who knows, I was close to take some Presonus E5 with the JBL sub, but when I saw many complains about hiss, I completely changed my mind about them.
It's really hard to decide what should I take without being able to try. At this point, I think I will just buy something, and return it if I don't like it.
That could be room gain as well and has nothing to do with the speaker themselves, but rather the room and how the sound is interacting with it.

OP
Myloween

Myloween

I looked about the Edifier R2850, and I agree they seems really nice too.

Speaking about rooms, I can't really chose compared of my current location, as I will move in something way bigger and different soon.

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
HS8's are already over the budget and all do they aren't the best speakers ever will do the work nicely and will last you for long time (especially in active category). However they are balanced inputs only so you will need a balanced DAC for them and in the future be limited to such sub's.
You neither said what you want to achieve FR on the bottom, SPL or how big the room is or how you use it (near/mid/far field - 1, 2, 4m or more to listening spot) and with what (PC/standalone...) or do you have some components/parts you are intending to keep from old setup.
If it's a near field setup are you sensitive to self noise and where do you live?
All of mentioned would influence cost and selection.
For example of near to midfield setup you could probably get there and for a budget or a little bit more. A pair of Kali LP 6 V2's and a budget 12" sub which will do quet nice. Kali's are around 400€ pair and try to find what's available for a good price from sub's which depends on where you are.
For some ideas:
By all means try to get a deacent measurement microphone as soon as possible and if it's a PC you might pass with deacent multichannel sound card and free (EQ-APO) or relatively not too expensive (JRiver) software (system level EQ/player).
Best luck and happy hunting!
By the way welcome to ASR and please try to take your time and reed!

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Something interesting here. Kali LP 6 V2 & Kali WS 6.2 cost about the same as Adam Audio T7V & T10S. Just thought I'd mention that.
Of course there is the Kali Audio in-UNF system for about $600 total.

OP
Myloween

Myloween

Thank you for your replies, sorry for the lack of details. After reconsideration, I can put a bit more than 600 euros but I would prefere stay close of that.
I'm currently into a 6 by 3 meters room, but the issue is I will move soon into a very open space (like that: ), and I also don't really know, where I will put myself into it for now. I prefere to not be too far from the source, I'm currently about 1 meter but I can do a bit more if I want. Hiss / noise is an issue on my current setup.

I'm currently on a Xonar Essence STX II, I did not have any external DAC (I have a NAD 3020B but it's partially broken, so I can't really use it since).
My goal is mainly multimedia/game on PC, but I think to do some music and bass recording too on a near future. My fear is to have indistinguishable medium/low.

I looked about the Kali LP 6 V2 they seems great but I was a bit concern about the self noise too, maybe the Adam Audio T7V could be a better choise.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Presonus Sub8 works well in my desktop setup and would leave you with €200 for each of the monitors (Adam T7V's for example)...

The Sub8 sits in-line with the monitors, so it's easy to integrate with the monitors.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
The version 2 of the Kali (LP6 V2) the hiss is not a problem, with version 1 (LP6 only no V1 designation) then hiss was a problem.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Kali LP 6 V2's are tonally very good and about average regarding noise. First generation whose noisy. Don't like TV7 for many reasons and Kali's are much better speakers.
Availability is fairly good.
Of course there are more quiet ones but if you drift to mid field about 2 m that will hardly be a problem.
That audio card whose fairly problematic both in review hire and in many complaints around web about picking un noise under load but if former is not the case in your use it will be fine (with SINAD of 101~102 dB).
Anyway it's more useful than any two chenel DAC as you can use it as proper digital crossover (with sub or more of them). Unfortunately your new space that you need to move in seams very problematic with all that glass surfaces so good luck regarding that. On the other hand current room sounds nice.
Try to find a deacent 12" budget sub and if possible closed enclosure one (without port's) and nothing less (even if you have to save money for it). Read a lot about software, EQ and crossovers that's for free and no better place to do it then this one. Please do buy a measurement microphone it will make a hell of a difference. I wish you luck!

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I'm currently on a Xonar Essence STX II
Note - budget for at least a Behringer HD400 and assorted cabling to avoid ground loop hell. Either that or you'll need to make custom cables, or go for something that actually does have a balanced output (maybe an audio interface so you can also connect the measurement mic that you'll probably want to set your sub levels right and EQ the bass, e.g. a Focusrite Scarlett Solo and perhaps a calibrated Behringer ECM-8000 or Sonarworks mic).

OP
Myloween

Myloween

Thank you very much for all the informations and recommendations, I didn't realize the difference between the Kali LP6 and the V2. I will probably give them a try so, and look for a 12" sub. But, I'm not really sure to understand what do you mean by "if possible closed enclosure one (without port's)" for the sub though.

Otherwise I'm aware about the Xonar Essence noise issue, I can really notice it if I push the volume, but fortunately in my configuration with the gigaworks, I didn't need to. I think it's a issue with all internal devices, probably related to other components' interferences no ? I notice I have more noise with a heavy GPU load for example.
I will probably look for an external audio interface later, especially if I start recording, not my best choise at the time. Maybe I will take a look to a Behringer HD400 meanwhile.

About my future room, I suspected it yes. I don't know if maybe I close a bit my space with a curtain or whatever, that could help.
I think I will look measurement microphone a bit later, probably after I moved as I'm really close to finish my new home.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Myloween I mean sealed box no vent/port, compression one.
For example:
those are recently discontinued and hard to find. Used to give a lot for money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom