• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Musical Surrounding Nova III Review (phono stage)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me, the idea of a discrete circuit (not actually sure if this has op amps) with lots of loading options is attractive in a phono stage...

In the mid 1950s designers and manufacturers understood the ergonomics of flexibility--the idea of putting controls where they can be used. Today designers hide them on the back panel, make them so small you can't see them without a magnifying glass, or just leave them out completely!

mac.jpg

Icarus

@Amir why don't you shunt that SMPS on the Nova use something like a iFI groundhog attach it to the barrel of the DC plug I bet that drops the noise. You can also do a DYI version found here https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/ I shunt all my SMPS in my chain typically all my network switches and yes my Benchmark DAC II which has a SMPS. I does make a big difference in noise in my vinyl rig setup that has these phono-preamps that use SMPS's. Amir I'd be very curious if you could shunt that SMPS and report those findings? As for your mains noise at -70dbs that shouldn't be happening I use Graham Slee dedicated MM phono I don't have mains noise did you ground that phono to your analyzer?

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
How does the Nova III sound?
With only 0.25dB variation from RIAA curve in the frequency response, it is transparent in sound signature, though its loading options could change the curve for, and sound of, your cartridge. Amir doesn't normally do listening tests on phono stages.

LarryRS

That's too bad. Listening to music is generally what I do with my system.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That's too bad. Listening to music is generally what I do with my system.

That's different than testing a component. I don't drive my car on a dynamometer, but I would rely on that to determine toque and power for when I do drive it.

(apologies in advance to @Frank Dernie for using a car analogy)

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The vagaries of a phono setup make a lot of listening tests of little value. Unless you minimally use the same cartridge, you are not getting the same sound signature no matter what. What Amir tests for pretty much characterises the things you need to know. Accuracy of compensation curve, overload margin, noise floor, and distortion. No modern design should have distortion worth worrying about above the other metrics.
Amir gives us the most important elements. The flowery prose of reviews from the days of steam driven audio are best left behind.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Unless you minimally use the same cartridge

Even that's no guarantee.

I've driven myself batshit crazy playing with "tails up" vs "tails down" VTA of the same cart after reading some commentary somewhere from some internet rando.

I had a dark "VTA on the fly" period, but I'm out of rehab now.

Spending more on test disks.

And don't get me started on anti-skate.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@Amir why don't you shunt that SMPS on the Nova use something like a iFI groundhog attach it to the barrel of the DC plug I bet that drops the noise.
??? I am not here to fix equipment. I just measure them!

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

LarryRS

The flowery prose of reviews from the days of steam driven audio are best left behind.
This made me laugh out loud. A fabulous turn of phrase!

Can't measure the % humidity, but this site does have its fair share of hot air.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The flowery prose of reviews from the days of steam driven audio are best left behind.

Can't measure the % humidity, but this site does have its fair share of hot air.
Hot air is dry.

Top Bottom