• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Musical Surrounding Nova III Review (phono stage)

heatwave

So it seems the Cambridge Audio is still the master of the phono stages..
That might be the case if indeed we heard things the way they are measured. Until I see a microphone shaped like a human ear, there's no reason to suggest we're egtting close. Then you have the issue of all ears being different shapes, making it so we all hear things differently.
I have a Cambridge Duo, and while it sounds nice and clean when the music gets going, it is quite noisy and it doesn't have a lot of soul.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Until I see a microphone shaped like a human ear, there's no reason to suggest we're egtting close.

What does that have to do with electronics?

BTW, do a search for "Kunstkopf."

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That might be the case if indeed we heard things the way they are measured. Until I see a microphone shaped like a human ear, there's no reason to suggest we're egtting close. Then you have the issue of all ears being different shapes, making it so we all hear things differently.
I have a Cambridge Duo, and while it sounds nice and clean when the music gets going, it is quite noisy and it doesn't have a lot of soul.
I’d bet that my Bryston performs better all around, but I won’t part with it long enough for testing - I use it frequently. Here’s a sample of testing from a different source.

I have the older BP-1.5 which has the same circuit topology, but the 1.5 has old through-hole construction and the BP-2 has newer surface mount fabrication.

However, both are considerably more expensive than the Cambridge Audio units, even when purchased used. Arguably, the Cambridge units are a better value.

egellings

Major Contributor
82/83 dB would be respectable and perfectly listenable IMO. Wonder if that hum can be eliminated?
The power transformer is in the wall wart, so that's not a cause. Hum is likely then caused by grounding issues, either an inadequate ground connection or a ground loop. Do an experiment by putting shorting RCA pins into the input connections. If that eliminates the hum, then you know it's in the turntable hookup. If not, then there may be fault current flowing in the shielded cable ground conductor between the preamp and the next component (line stage) due to a ground loop.

NormB

I sold mine.

Glad to be rid of it.

I had been using a Benz Micro Glider SL MC cart with it for over a year, an Ortofon 2M MM prior to that as well as - more recently - an Ortofon Cadenza Black all with high levels of success, satisfaction. No complaints. Unit performed as advertised using THEIR linear amplifier and zip cord wire (although I had bought/used an Oyaide power connector later, I went back to their zip cord for testing purposes)…

Until I changed settings from 60 dB to 54 dB.

HISSSSSSSSS……………..

Not loud, but loud enough. 6 feet from speakers. Took some time/trouble (days and days) to figure out that yes, the Nova III was THE source of the noise. Different power conditioner, power cord(s), preamps, amps, speakers, speaker wires, interconnects.

So, at around 2 yrs, 3 mos ownership, with 9 mos left on warranty, I contacted MS. Tried to. Called, emailed, FINALLY got an email back. I was asked to record the sound of the hissing I was hearing. I did this, as best I could, it was on an iPhone and no, it was not audible.

My son, a musician (multi-instrument, piano, guitar, percussion) with ears half as old as I could also hear it. Daughter too.

NOT on the vinyl, not an interconnect problem, MM direct into preamp (APT Holman 1 AND ADCOM 565) no problem, thorugh the Nova III? Hiss.

MS would NOT accept it for warranty.

I sold it through ePay, advised seller to let me know if there was ANYTHING he thought was wrong with the unit. Nope, got feedback, no issues.

Meanwhile, a Quadratic MC-1 and Ortofon Cadenza Black has been playing on my system for over 6 months AND NO HISS! Just bliss.

Just FYI. Do not expect good/adequate/responsive customer service from MS.

Of course, maybe YMMV.

Top Bottom