• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music is dead.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Meh, I don't know if there whether there is less good music being produced in the popular genres than there used to be, and I don't care. I listen to 98% Classical music today and there is about as much of that being produced as ever. (Yeah, I'm old but I was listening to 70% Classical by my early 30s.)

I have in my collection about everything Bob Dylan produced, but I haven't listened to any of it probably for a couple of years.

JaccoW

I sincerely doubt record sales are sustained by the over 65s ....
It's never one group but...

Statista 2020

And if I can buy a completely new release for £9 ($12) for a hi-res digital download+stream vs. £18 ($24) for the record + download + stream it's not much extra. It doesn't tell us anything about what ages are buying Elvis on vinyl however.

Last edited:

gsp1971

Forum Donor
It's never one group but...

Statista 2020

And if I can buy a completely new release for £9 ($12) for a hi-res digital download+stream vs. £18 ($24) for the record + download + stream it's not much extra. It doesn't tell us anything about what ages are buying Elvis on vinyl however.
Sorry, but that proves my point. In 2019, over 55s account for about 1/4th of overall sales. In other words, over 55s do not buy more records or less records than any other age group. In other words, young people buy as much music as older people.
Plus, please note this: the chart you have provided is about VINYL. Musical releases by new artists are not usually released in vinyl. Hence, you have people in age groups 18-24, 25-34, and 35-44 who buy vinyl, which could very well be music from past decades remastered and re-released in vinyl.

JaccoW

Musical releases by new artists are not usually released in vinyl. Hence, you have people in age groups 18-24, 25-34, and 35-44 who buy vinyl, which could very well be music from past decades remastered and re-released in vinyl.
Sorry, you're wrong. And you were the one talking about records a.k.a. vinyl.
And this chart is about new vinyl.

There are certainly digital only artists but a quick look on Bandcamp, HHV.de, Mondo or Defected records will show you many, many artists release their music on Youtube, streaming services and vinyl with CDs not always being an option. The cool kids even release on cassette tape.

If you want a modern album as a music enthusiast you either subscribe to a hi-res streaming service or you buy the vinyl and download the digital version as part of the deal.

So no, we cannot say from the statistics available if 25-44 year olds are buying remastered vinyl.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Sorry, you're wrong.

And this chart is about new vinyl.

There are certainly digital only artists but a quick look on Bandcamp, HHV.de, Mondo or Defected records will show you many, many artists release their music on Youtube, streaming services and vinyl with CDs not always being an option. The cool kids even release on cassette tape.

If you want a modern album as a music enthusiast you either subscribe to a hi-res streaming service or you buy the vinyl and download the digital version as part of the deal.

So no, we cannot say from the statistics available if 25-44 year olds are buying remastered vinyl.
Fair enough, that might be the case, even though it is not clear whether 'new' vinyl refers to vinyl by a 'new' artist or it refers to 'new' as in not used or previously owned, which would include remasters. But in any case check this out as well.

Music buyers are evenly distributed by age group (distribution differs by source, though, i.e. CD, digital, vinyl, streaming, etc but this is logical)
Classic Rock (‘60s-’80s) is the preferred musical genre in almost every category.

All of the above, to me, point to two conclusions:
(a) music sales are roughly the same by age group (rejects the argument that only 'old farts' buy music)
(b) music sales are not dominated by recent artists and releases, quite the opposite (classic rock is the preferred genre, which rejects the argument that there is no 'timelessness' in music)

It is the same with movies, people will watch a new movie but would be quite happy buying a 30 or 40 year old movie for their collection. That makes the 30-year old movie timeless, by definition, because it has appeal 30-40 years after its release.

This occurs in fact in all forms of art. There is new stuff (and always will be), and old stuff which still appeal and are considered timeless.

Last edited:

JaccoW

Fair enough, that might be the case, but check this out as well.

Music buyers are evenly distributed by age group (distribution differs by source, though, i.e. CD, digital, vinyl, streaming, etc but this is logical)
Classic Rock (‘60s-’80s) is the preferred musical genre in almost every category.

All of the above, to me, point to two conclusions:
(a) music sales are roughly the same by age group (rejects the argument that only 'old farts' buy music)
(b) music sales are not dominated by recent artists and releases, quite the opposite (classic rock is the preferred genre, which rejects the argument that there is no 'timelessness' in music)

It is the same with movies, people will watch a new movie but would be quite happy buying a 30 or 40 year old movie for their collection. That makes the 30-year old movie timeless, by definition, because it has appeal 30-40 years after its release.

This occurs in fact in all forms of art. There is new stuff (and always will be), and old stuff which still appeal and are considered timeless.
Ah that's some good information. The Classic Rock thing by platform is interesting though.

You will note that in any platform where Classic Rock is not in the top 3, (Hi-Res Paid subscribers, P2P and Streamrippers) 60-80% of the users is 44 years or younger. The only exception being music streamers. But the distinction between Music Streamers and Paid Subscribers is not entirely clear to me, especially since a lot has happened in 3 years time since this data in streaming.

In any platform where Classic Rock is in the top 3, (CD buyers, Digital buyers) 49-60% is 45 years or older. The only exception being Vinyl (36%) but that's also the only place where Alternative/Modern Rock shows up. I guess a lot of vinyl buyers just enjoy Rock.

I think we can draw three different conclusions:
  • Different listening platforms attract very different music genres.
  • In platforms where the younger crowd is overrepresented Classic Rock isn't as popular.
  • The US really likes its (Classic) Rock, Country and Rap/Hip-Hop.
Also note that 43% of the internet population (that I assume provided the data for this) is 45 years or older. Which is only slightly more than the 41.7% of the same group in December 2020.

I enjoyed digging through this data. You? :)

gsp1971

Forum Donor
I enjoyed digging through this data. You? :)
Absolutely
1636467782345.png

Music is not dead after all ...

killdozzer

Major Contributor
If what you say were true, the only people who would be attending a Bruce Springsteen or a Santana concert today would be old men over 70 with kinetic problems and canes. Is this what you see?
Precisely. More to the point, I don't remember seeing a GenZ kid buying Fairport Convention or Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young or Emerson, Lake and Palmer or Weather Report (all pronounced everlasting at one point in time)

As I said in my previous post, even if I saw A GenZ kid buying such an album, it still wouldn't mean anything if the kid had parents who played those albums while the kid was young. You skipped over this idea in your effort to prove your point and I can respect that, but I still insist that the only relevant statistics would be among young kids whose parents were into some other kind of music or non at all.

So, in my opinion, as long as parents of GenZ think similar to you, you will find kids listening to these bands. But let's move further, let's talk Gen Alpha... What do you say now? The mere steepness of the drop should be a valuable indication.

Unfortunately, a lot of parents, believing firmly in the superiority of their idols from the young days, will have no problem forcing their kids to spend time listening to old music. And not only that, but the mere fact that the parents will play their music while kids are young will shape the musical taste of their kids. Still, I think it is in decline.

Just as it is in other topics; if someone is convinced he has healthy eating habits, he'll believe he has the right to force you into it, if someone is not smoking, he'll think he can annoy the hell out of you for smoking, the libs will believe that their labeling people with every "-fobic" they can think of or with crap like "cisgender" is justified because they believe to be morally superior, although a huge part of their struggle was against the very labeling.

When people believe they're right, they are at their worst. I never met music loving parents who truly believe the music of their youth was better, but still in no way try to influence their kids. But, much to my horror, the ease with which they say they forbid them to listen to certain kinds of music and play Queen and such bands for hours, is just terrifying.

In short, the statistics that could effectively disprove what I'm saying should point out the percentage of today kids who didn't grow up with Bob Marley being often played as this would mean they chose Bob Marley. Or any other huge brand.

I'm not young myself and I grew up with my father's records, but I try to prevent myself from acting like the aforementioned priest from the beginnings of The Beatles.

Don't get me wrong - no era will be ENTIRELY lost given there's a way to record and save the music made in it. But to say: "music is dead, because Led Zeppelin... " I just don't see it.

BTW, if you're into statistics, check the number of albums sold by Taylor Swift (and I even can't stand her music)! Even compared to some high-rollers today like Jay Z and Beyonce, she is way ahead, but the main point is she sold more albums than some of the "everlasting" combined.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Precisely. More to the point, I don't remember seeing a GenZ kid buying Fairport Convention or Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young or Emerson, Lake and Palmer or Weather Report (all pronounced everlasting at one point in time)

As I said in my previous post, even if I saw A GenZ kid buying such an album, it still wouldn't mean anything if the kid had parents who played those albums while the kid was young. You skipped over this idea in your effort to prove your point and I can respect that, but I still insist that the only relevant statistics would be among young kids whose parents were into some other kind of music or non at all.

So, in my opinion, as long as parents of GenZ think similar to you, you will find kids listening to these bands. But let's move further, let's talk Gen Alpha... What do you say now? The mere steepness of the drop should be a valuable indication.

Unfortunately, a lot of parents, believing firmly in the superiority of their idols from the young days, will have no problem forcing their kids to spend time listening to old music. And not only that, but the mere fact that the parents will play their music while kids are young will shape the musical taste of their kids. Still, I think it is in decline.

Just as it is in other topics; if someone is convinced he has healthy eating habits, he'll believe he has the right to force you into it, if someone is not smoking, he'll think he can annoy the hell out of you for smoking, the libs will believe that their labeling people with every "-fobic" they can think of or with crap like "cisgender" is justified because they believe to be morally superior, although a huge part of their struggle was against the very labeling.

When people believe they're right, they are at their worst. I never met music loving parents who truly believe the music of their youth was better, but still in no way try to influence their kids. But, much to my horror, the ease with which they say they forbid them to listen to certain kinds of music and play Queen and such bands for hours, is just terrifying.

In short, the statistics that could effectively disprove what I'm saying should point out the percentage of today kids who didn't grow up with Bob Marley being often played as this would mean they chose Bob Marley. Or any other huge brand.

I'm not young myself and I grew up with my father's records, but I try to prevent myself from acting like the aforementioned priest from the beginnings of The Beatles.

Don't get me wrong - no era will be ENTIRELY lost given there's a way to record and save the music made in it. But to say: "music is dead, because Led Zeppelin... " I just don't see it.

BTW, if you're into statistics, check the number of albums sold by Taylor Swift (and I even can't stand her music)! Even compared to some high-rollers today like Jay Z and Beyonce, she is way ahead, but the main point is she sold more albums than some of the "everlasting" combined.
Led Zeppelin is a symbol
What I meant is that there is some nice music being created by new artists but most of the new artists and their music is forgettable and nothing is truly amazing and mind blowing that is stands out like LED Zeppelin, Hendrix, Kurt Cobain etc

JaccoW

What I meant is that there is some nice music being created by new artists
True, some amazing music even.
most of the new artists and their music is forgettable
Also true. As it always has been. A steady diet of crap being flung at the wall to see what sticks and sometimes a diamond gets impaled.
nothing is truly amazing and mind blowing that is stands out like LED Zeppelin, Hendrix, Kurt Cobain etc
False comparison. You're comparing the Best and worst past couple of years to artists, whose careers sometimes spanned decades, from which you can cherry pick the best songs.

Even the greats had some crap music.

If you want to make a comparison pick some similarly popular artists and pick a metric. Otherwise it's just opinion, nostalgia and feeling. Best for you isn't necessarily objectively best.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Oh dear, where do I start and where do I finish ...
On the contrary, in the last 2-3 years I have seen GenZ kids in concerts of Sting, Pink Martini, Deep Purple, Daniel Barenboim, Diana Krall, Judas Priest, Neneh Cherry, Yo Yo Ma, Omara Portuondo, Andrea Bocelli, Eric Burton & the Animals, and Nigel Kennedy. These artists are not new now, are they?

Why? I did not skip over the idea at all, I just don't agree one bit. You seem to have some sort of 'allergy' on this. Many things are being passed on from generation to generation: language, history, customs & traditions, etc. why not music? Why is this a showstopper for you? I grew up listening to my dad's records. As I grew older, I kept whatever of dad's music I liked and discarded the rest. What's wrong with that? Why does each generation need to re-invent the wheel and research everything from scratch?

Similar to what? Again, you seem to be dismissive of things being passed on from generation to generation. Why?

Nobody spoke about 'superiority' of any kind or about 'idols'. I like listening to Frank Sinatra, Miles Davis, and Dire Straits for instance. Sinatra I discovered through my dad's records. Miles Davis and Dire Straits / Eagles / Pink Floyd etc through my own musical journey. None of them were / are my idols. I listen to music for my pleasure and enjoyment and not because I want to prove anything to my kids, my friends or society. The fact that people listen to these artists to this very day means their music has a long-lasting appeal. Eventually, given time, that appeal will fade away and will be replaced by other similar artists of the 80s, 90s or whatever. But the fact that their music lasted 50-odd years is enough to call them timeless.

I never claimed that the music I listen to is 'better'. Furthermore, in a previous post in this thread I clearly said that I do not force any music on my kids. They are free to listen to whatever music they like. But by the same token, so am I, as a dad, free to listen to the stuff I like.

Nobody said music is dead. There is enough music out there, both from recent and older years, you would need two lifetimes to discover all of it.

I am an analyst by trade so statistics and data are an everyday thing for me. How many records Taylor Swift has sold is of no concern to me, as this is not a criterion for me to buy her music.
Taylor Swift has sold more records and has made way more money that Mozart. Is she better than Mozart? Will people listen to Taylor Swift 150 years from today?

I am going to put this debate to rest because clearly our way if thinking is different. Let's at least agree on that.

Amicably,
George

Last edited:
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
True, some amazing music even.

Also true. As it always has been. A steady diet of crap being flung at the wall to see what sticks and sometimes a diamond gets impaled.

False comparison. You're comparing the Best and worst past couple of years to artists, whose careers sometimes spanned decades, from which you can cherry pick the best songs.

Even the greats had some crap music.

If you want to make a comparison pick some similarly popular artists and pick a metric. Otherwise it's just opinion, nostalgia and feeling. Best for you isn't necessarily objectively best.
Radiohead vs Coldplay, Bjork / Tori Amos vs Adele etc
They sit on the same "square" as the biggest artists / bands in the world at their time.
Yeah there's no comparison at all.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Andrew Bird's My Finest Work Yet album alone would trump 40% of those supposed timeless bands and many of them will disappear in next few decades.

Then again, some will stick around. Naturally.

Thunder22

Has anybody heard of Musicleague.app ? It's linked through Spotify and is a great way to hear new music . Whether it's researching a potential theme or listening to the league playlist.

JaccoW

Radiohead vs Coldplay
Not particularly fond of either one of them but here it goes.
  • Radiohead:
    • Art-rock/experimental rock band
    • Founded in 1985
    • First hit (Creep) in 1992
    • Highest ranking singles in the UK:
      • Paranoid Android #3 - 1997
      • No Surprises #4 - 1998
      • There There #4 - 2003
    • Latest album
    • #1 position in the Rolling Stone top 100 albums of the 2000's in 2009
    • #20 (Kid A), #42 (OK Computer), #276 (The Bends) and #387 (In Rainbows) in the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest albums of all time
    • 30 million albums sold worldwide (respectable, but not one of the best selling artists ever)
  • Coldplay:
    • Art-rock/pop rock band
    • Founded in 1996
    • First hit (Yellow) in 2000
    • Highest ranking singles in the UK:
      • Viva la Vida #1 - 2008
      • Paradise #1 - 2011
      • My Universe #1 - 2021
    • Voted best artists and band in 2003 by Rolling Stone Magazine
    • #21 position in the Rolling Stone top 100 albums of the 2000's in 2009
    • #324 (A Rush of Blood to the Head) in the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest albums of all time
    • 100 million albums sold worldwide
There is still the matter of which metric we are going to use though. Radiohead has more important albums and songs here but Coldplay was vastly more popular with many more hits. More financially succesful as well.

They are both still active though so we are bound to get more good music from them both.
Bjork / Tori Amos vs Adele etc
They sit on the same "square" as the biggest artists / bands in the world at their time.
Yeah there's no comparison at all.
I'm going to leave the ladies for another time.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are clearly different modes of music listening that are generational, and thus represent in music that is also generational.

Most people I know who grew up in native cultures (which is a rather limited concept in the New World but not at all in the Old) think of the folk music of their culture as a historical touchstone that has meaning for them even if they don't listen to it regularly. If they are musical, they do make that music. But what they listen to on the contemporary equivalent of the radio is often whatever is hip in the wider world. So, lots of kids in Appalachia understand and appreciate bluegrass music in their very bones, but may listen to hip-hop in their cars or earbuds. Kids where I lived in San Antonio for many years understood and appreciated conjunto and latino music even if that wasn't what they routinely listened to. I suspect that if I can see this in America, where the concept of "native culture" is rather mixed up, it is more true in other parts of the world not quite so populated with immigrants.

And as these kids get older, their teen fetishes may fade away and become something they listen to from time to time as a matter of nostalgia for their youth, but that stuff in their cultural bones will be more apt to put them in a more satisfying happy place.

In my own case, I was exposed to serious orchestral---er---classical---er---symphony---er---whatever early in life. I recall borrowing a cassette from the public library that had Beethoven on one side and Schubert on the other. I copied it (microphone to speaker!) and wore that copy out. There was something there that meant something to me on a deeper plane than the pop music of the day. I borrowed the tape in the first place because of an extracurricular music appreciation class in elementary school. As I got older, I also listened to the usual suspects of my youth--ranging from the Moody Blues to Elton John to Cat Stevens--then to country--then to prog of various flavors (Jethro Tull, ELP, Yes, Kansas, etc.). Even now, when I listen to rock, it's in the prog category but not necessarily from the 70's. But the classical music appreciation never abated and I have listened to that music continuously my whole life. Classical constitutes 75% of my listening averaged over longish periods. I now live in Appalachia and I do hear and appreciate bluegrass, but I approach it as an outsider.

For me, the left-field entry was jazz, but the overt, extroverted kind like Dixieland and the likes of Maynard Ferguson, not the morose introverted kind to the same degree.

One final thing: Music is still being taught in schools, and kids are still learning how to play band instruments. Band instruments have no relevance in modern pop music outside of a few fringe groups, but kids are still learning how to play them with some commitment. Music schools in universities are still attracting students, despite that the commercial prospects for professional musicians of wind instruments are pretty thin unless one wants a military career (and even there, most people applying for an E4-to-E6 musician job in the U.S. military--meaning the lower-to-middle enlisted ranks--have doctorates, making them uniquely overqualified compared to all other jobs in the military). Why? The answer surely is not that music is dead, even if the music business is yet again having to be transformed to find ways to put groceries on the table. A third of the people in the large ensemble in which I play are under 40, playing instruments that have no other outlet in their daily lives. I'm at the young end of the baby boom, and only a handful in that organization are older than me.

Rick "school music programs--like all of the arts--are at risk, however" Denney

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've found as I've gotten older that I'm less interested in lyrics (and tend to prefer instrumental music), and also less tolerant of "wanking" on instruments. I have a huge respect for jazz, my dad was jazz musician/teacher/arranger, and we were enamored with technical chops from the jazz to jazz-fusion guys. But these days I have to admit my ears start glazing over during many extended solos. I've grown to appreciate pithiness and the talent and discipline it can take to perfectly craft a song, and even a solo, vs a "lets listen and see if any nuggets pop out of a guy throwing everything but the kitchen sink at you."

killdozzer

Major Contributor
@gsp1971
It isn't within my power nor my English language skills to present my thoughts any clearer. If you still don't get it, perhaps I'm not the one to explain it to you. Me not being the one to explain it, doesn't affect the facts I stated.

“Music is dead ‘cause I like Led Zeppelin” is a preposterous idea which usually indicates the author is lazy. Perhaps I’m wrong. Perhaps he heard all of the 21st century music in its entirety and has every right to make such a claim. I highly doubt that.

This is why I’m going to leave you here. Although the poor animal IS dead and I’m in no way religious, I find keep beating it is in bad taste. Lucky circumstance is, you can listen to Led Zeppelin.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
There are clearly different modes of music listening that are generational, and thus represent in music that is also generational.

Most people I know who grew up in native cultures (which is a rather limited concept in the New World but not at all in the Old) think of the folk music of their culture as a historical touchstone that has meaning for them even if they don't listen to it regularly. If they are musical, they do make that music. But what they listen to on the contemporary equivalent of the radio is often whatever is hip in the wider world. So, lots of kids in Appalachia understand and appreciate bluegrass music in their very bones, but may listen to hip-hop in their cars or earbuds. Kids where I lived in San Antonio for many years understood and appreciated conjunto and latino music even if that wasn't what they routinely listened to. I suspect that if I can see this in America, where the concept of "native culture" is rather mixed up, it is more true in other parts of the world not quite so populated with immigrants.

And as these kids get older, their teen fetishes may fade away and become something they listen to from time to time as a matter of nostalgia for their youth, but that stuff in their cultural bones will be more apt to put them in a more satisfying happy place.

In my own case, I was exposed to serious orchestral---er---classical---er---symphony---er---whatever early in life. I recall borrowing a cassette from the public library that had Beethoven on one side and Schubert on the other. I copied it (microphone to speaker!) and wore that copy out. There was something there that meant something to me on a deeper plane than the pop music of the day. I borrowed the tape in the first place because of an extracurricular music appreciation class in elementary school. As I got older, I also listened to the usual suspects of my youth--ranging from the Moody Blues to Elton John to Cat Stevens--then to country--then to prog of various flavors (Jethro Tull, ELP, Yes, Kansas, etc.). Even now, when I listen to rock, it's in the prog category but not necessarily from the 70's. But the classical music appreciation never abated and I have listened to that music continuously my whole life. Classical constitutes 75% of my listening averaged over longish periods. I now live in Appalachia and I do hear and appreciate bluegrass, but I approach it as an outsider.

For me, the left-field entry was jazz, but the overt, extroverted kind like Dixieland and the likes of Maynard Ferguson, not the morose introverted kind to the same degree.

One final thing: Music is still being taught in schools, and kids are still learning how to play band instruments. Band instruments have no relevance in modern pop music outside of a few fringe groups, but kids are still learning how to play them with some commitment. Music schools in universities are still attracting students, despite that the commercial prospects for professional musicians of wind instruments are pretty thin unless one wants a military career (and even there, most people applying for an E4-to-E6 musician job in the U.S. military--meaning the lower-to-middle enlisted ranks--have doctorates, making them uniquely overqualified compared to all other jobs in the military). Why? The answer surely is not that music is dead, even if the music business is yet again having to be transformed to find ways to put groceries on the table. A third of the people in the large ensemble in which I play are under 40, playing instruments that have no other outlet in their daily lives. I'm at the young end of the baby boom, and only a handful in that organization are older than me.

Rick "school music programs--like all of the arts--are at risk, however" Denney
This is a far more interesting approach, but it is sociological and cultural and not necessarily implying some unquestioned quality of the "old music" (whatever the hell that means). One thing that surely changed is which style of music came under the limelight of mainstream. MTV used to play Dire Straights and Eric Clapton. Not today. While traveling with my parents on vacation, we used to play Bob Marley in the car and we all liked it. These styles are not in focus today. Playing mainstream music in a family car today, would annoy the hell out of parents for sure.

But this is a wider topic. Many people will say that the way the industry operates today, you'd never have a movie like 2001: A Space Odyssey. But these are the laws of market. No amount of marketing or coverage will make Damien Jurado sell as much albums as Lady Gaga. So, Jurado - no, Gaga - yes.

I would say this is the sign o' times. But for those willing to put some effort, Jurado (and the likes, you choose your own) didn't stop playing because of the fact.

I've found as I've gotten older that I'm less interested in lyrics (and tend to prefer instrumental music), and also less tolerant of "wanking" on instruments. I have a huge respect for jazz, my dad was jazz musician/teacher/arranger, and we were enamored with technical chops from the jazz to jazz-fusion guys. But these days I have to admit my ears start glazing over during many extended solos. I've grown to appreciate pithiness and the talent and discipline it can take to perfectly craft a song, and even a solo, vs a "lets listen and see if any nuggets pop out of a guy throwing everything but the kitchen sink at you."
Interesting, I also stopped paying attention to lyrics, but my sentiment is the lyrics are rarely good and less so as the time progress. I think Adele's lyrics are "soap opera" stupid. Luckily, I don't like her singing nor her music either, so it's an easy choice for me. What I hate is finding some good music with dumb lyrics, but as I said, I just don't listen to them. On the other hand, when lyrics in contemporary music are good, they are really good.

I often have AZLyrics web site in front of me and I follow the lyrics as I listen. Some songs, like Band of Horses' "Slow Cruel Hands of Time" I believe to be twice as good when closely following lyrics. Many, many others also fall into this category; Wovenhand, 16 Horsepower, Andrew Bird, Eilen Jewell, Julia Jacklin, Boy & Bear, Arcade Fire, Michael Kiwanuka, Elbow etc.

Paolo

Well almost...
I can't help but feel that older music is just is so much better than all the new stuff being released today in all music genres.
There isn't one modern rock band that even comes close to Radiohead, Nirvana, PJ etc..
No artist that comes close to MJ
No new Bob Dylan, no new Jeff Buckley etc...
Well you get my point.
All new music and artists are just mediocre at best, except in some rare cases (Joanna Newsom, Regina spektor)
Does anyone here feels the same way?
Music evolves just like everything else, to think that something has reached some kind of "apex" is very human, but arbitrary and ultimately wrong in the grand scheme of things.
I dislike many new genres, but I know is about my personal taste. Even talking about "absolute quality" is delusional, for instance Nirvana were making songs with a couple of chords, eons away from the sophisticated Nine Inch Nails productions or the amazing skills of Nils Frahm, but in a way all of them are among the greatest, so… what is "quality" if not a pseudo-rationalized version of taste?

By the way, Kirby Ferguson has made a very interesting series about the topic, which I hope would contribute to the conversation:

Top Bottom