• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music is dead.

TimF

Forum Donor
I need a new miracle audio product to turn my life around and revive me.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone heard the new single by Tears For Fears? Tipping Point album forthcoming Feb 2022.

This is great stuff, turn it up.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Music is Dead, long live Music << HUH?
Please spare the RIP comments for music!
Your statement only shows that you are getting lazy and not foraging for what feels great; coming thru your ears.
If you draw the historical trajectory of music from the accurate:oops: representation in Caveman (1981; RingoStarr) movie, thru-out eternity you will realize one thing:
MUSIC is RESILIENT, always has been and will (*one can hope) always be.
MUSIC is what connects people (humanity) together like nothing else!

If music ever dies, then you know the end is near!

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Zensō

Major Contributor
I know great music when I hear it
Unfortunately there are very few true artists LIKE Kurt Cobain or great bands like LED Zeppelin, believe me in 30 years from now people will be listening to Led Zeppelin and not Greta and other band that has formed in the last 10 years.
Somehow the soul in music has been lost.
You sound just like my Dad, lauding the Benny Goodman Orchestra and complaining about the “noise” that I listened to when I was a kid (Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Hendrix, et al).

BTW, I’ve been a Led Zeppelin fan for a while. I saw one of their last concerts in the U.S. before John Bonham died. That was 1977.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
You sound just like my Dad, lauding the Benny Goodman Orchestra and complaining about the “noise” that I listened to when I was a kid (Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Hendrix, et al).

BTW, I’ve been a Led Zeppelin fan for a while. I saw one of their last concerts in the U.S. before John Bonham died. That was 1977.
OK
Then who's the current Led Zeppelin?
Which album of a relatively new band, released in the last 5 years is a timeless classic?
I can't think of anything

gsp1971

Forum Donor
OK
Then who's the current Led Zeppelin?
Which album of a relatively new band, released in the last 5 years is a timeless classic?
I can't think of anything
Releases of the last 5 years cannot be considered 'timeless classic' as not enough time has elapsed in order to withstand the test of time.

There is good music to be found in every decade.

Having said that and having researched the issue a bit in the past, people who study music and deal with music history etc. do agree that the 60's and 70's were among the best decades for music output across all genres and across most countries and languages, as these seemed to be the two decades which created most of the masterpieces in almost every kind of musical genre.
This occurred for a number of reasons, beyond the scope of this thread, but the two main reasons are (a) in the early 50s most of the world came out from pretty much 50 years of wars, and people were 'hungry' for art (including music) because art, as a society activity, was sacrificed for many years due to warfare, death and poverty; (b) the advances in recording techniques of the time, i.e. from mono to stereo, from 10''LP to 12'' LP etc.

Last edited:

gsp1971

Forum Donor
What's a 'timeless classic'?
For example, Christmas songs by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Nat King Cole are timeless classics since they are still being played today and are still used in Xmas movie soundtracks even today. Please don't tell me you haven't hummed Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer at some point ... That is a timeless classic.

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Releases of the last 5 years cannot be considered 'timeless classic' as not enough time has elapsed in order to withstand the test of time.

There is good music to be found in every decade.

Having said that and having researched the issue a bit in the past, people who study music and deal with music history etc. do agree that the 60's and 70's were among the best decades for music output across all genres and across most countries and languages, as these seemed to be the two decades which created most of the masterpieces in almost every kind of musical genre.
This occurred for a number of reasons, beyond the scope of this thread, but the two main reasons are (a) in the early 50s most of the world came out from pretty much 50 years of wars, and people were 'hungry' for art (including music) because art, as a society activity, was sacrificed for many years due to warfare, death and poverty; (b) the advances in recording techniques of the time, i.e. from mono to stereo, from 10''LP to 12'' LP etc.
Hmm. Difficult times have led to great art - 'war poets', Sassoon, Brooke, Owen. There are examples of great art in every century (every year!). Access to it might be more of function of developments in technology.

BinkieHuckerback

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For example, Christmas songs by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Nat King Cole are timeless classics since they are still being played today and are still used in Xmas movie soundtracks even today. Please don't tell me you haven't hummed Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer at some point ... That is a timeless classic.
Yes - but how does one know NOW what a 'timeless classic' is?

Top Bottom