• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music is dead.

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just came across this video again, found online awhile ago. . .
Reminds me of music I used to listen to. . .
But they are modern/contemporary (video date: 2017).

chris719

Who is the current Kurt Cobain?
Who is as insanely talented and passionate about music now days?
No artist.
The passion is gone and also the talent.
I don't buy this whole "getting old" theory
When you hear amazing music you are touched by it any age.
I have Deezer and Tidal subscriptions
I'm now more open to new music than I used to be, but nothing makes me feel like wow my mind is blown or makes me cry.

I think Nirvana is one of the most overrated bands of all time. I don’t mean that in a really disparaging way, because I think they were great, but maybe not as amazing as others. In my opinion, Alice In Chains was the best of the genre.

I haven’t yet read the entire thread, but as others will say, I think it’s hard to get past formative perceptions. Take sports for a different example. Every old guy will invariably tell you that the NBA or MLB or whichever sport they follow peaked in their adolescence or young adulthood. It’s just the way it is, you get used to a certain formula and it’s hard for your brain to adjust. That, and there is undoubtedly a nostalgia factor.

I do think the internet has changed music and how music is consumed. I’m not sure all the changes are positive from a pop standpoint, but I don’t think it has anything to do with the quality of musician. The internet has created a lot of hyper-talented young people in a lot of fields, including music.

Preferences have shifted, though, and rock is out of favor in popular music.

Blaspheme

Just came across this video again, found online awhile ago. . .
Reminds me of music I used to listen to. . .
But they are modern/contemporary (video date: 2017).

Fantastic, I didn't know they did something with Oli. They are all from Sheffield after all.

Sounds like you were listening to the first wave of hardcore/melodic hardcore in the 90s? The second wave peaked around 2010 with metalcore including these guys, along with others like Being As An Ocean (who they sound much alike, lyrical leftist politics versus gnosticism aside). The group of post-hardcore bands informally known as the wave—La Dispute, Touche Amore, Defeater, Pianos Become The Teeth—are all fucking fabulous and favourites of mine. That period was also known as the 2010 screamo revival. Many more bands under the post-hardcore umbrella, of course. All giving the lie to music, rock or otherwise, dying early this century.

Last edited:

Anthony101

Or maybe you just quoted the chorus and not the verses, one of which is this:

Dry! ...Me a desert him
Nuh time to have you lurking
Him ah go act like he nuh like it
You know I dealt with you the nicest
Nuh body touch me you nuh righteous
Nuh badda, text me in a crisis
I believed all of your dreams, adoration
You took my heart and my keys and my patience
You took my heart on my sleeve for decoration
You mistaken my love I brought for you for foundation
All that I wanted from you was to give me
Something that I never had
Something that you've never seen
Something that you've never been!
Mmmmm!
But I wake up and act like nothing's wrong

Sorry, but these lyrics, in particular, are passionless, heartless emotionless and repetitive.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few great vocalist today i.e.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I think Nirvana is one of the most overrated bands of all time

Maybe.

I can think of only two newer popular type discs I have in the rack...

Nirvana - Nevermind
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

For both of those groups, I tried some of their other releases, but didn't like their other work enough to get more.

I'm more into other things, to which nobody* wants to listen.

Anyone else have Rob Wasserman - Space Island?

* my Audio Buddy and I share many musical interests, so I know I'm not totally alone, but he's nobody, like me

Blaspheme

Anyone else have Rob Wasserman - Space Island?
Haha no ... but I have many things he likely played on, including Ani DiFranco and Elvis Costello—not to mention Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson—which means I may have seen him live.

* if you can tolerate Ani, I've re-listened to Up Up Up a fair bit recently, really nice rendering of alt-folksy bass and percussion on that album (to my ear) which would sound pretty juicy via your Krell MartinLogan combo I reckon.

Last edited:

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
Youtube has changed how people share music. And making of the music.

Descartes

Major Contributor
There is a lot of good new music, in addition listening to new music is good for your personal growth and help you keep an open mindset!

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
Sorry for spamming this thread, but Youtube algorithm is too good.

I don't play many games, but Plants vs Zombies sound track was literally the only game sound track I bought, because the music was so good. It turns out, Billie played it too. Great Artists Steal, they say...

mononoaware

One of the things I like about new music is that it isn't just the onstage punch'n'judy show. When Ryoji Ikeda presents a piece, you can live in it:

*I love the vast visualisation of wavelengths in Test Pattern

If we are willing to go that far. . .

dkinric

So, what I take from this thread:

Music appreciation is extremely subjective and personal - this especially stands out in an objective based forum. For many people (most?) musical preferences don't tend to change that much after their formative years. "Popular" music styles have changed greatly over the years. Distribution in the internet age has splintered styles into many factions and opened up an overwhelming amount of choice.
Nothing surprising there.

And also - there is a nearly endless amount of creative new music made by talented artists.

If it doesn't move you like your old favorites, that's not unusual, but that's on you, not the new music. Despite many passionately loved examples shared, nothing is going to ever be the next Nirvana or Radiohead for OP. So, up your music discovery game, or just accept you like what you like, and tell the damn kids to turn down that noise and get the hell off your lawn.

This horse is beaten to death. We should continue all these great suggestions into another thread about music we like (ie. "What we are listening to Now"), and not continue to try and convince OP that he is wrong.
I would rather share my current music passions in a thread called "Music I Like" rather than "Music is Dead"

mononoaware

Thought this deserved a mention here.
(Video date: 2019)

mononoaware

"What we are listening to Now"

I translate this to: “What are you listening to right now?
And therefore posted accordingly in this thread: “What are we listening to right now..

We should continue all these great suggestions into another thread about music we like (ie. "What we are listening to Now"), and not continue to try and convince OP that he is wrong.

I think it is ok.
OP posed a question. And there is a resulting reaction of suggestions/recommendations.
Maybe the recommendations would be different if they were not biased to attempt to “sway” OP.

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Seriously, I agree. Even my two teen boys can't be bothered with current music which is made for their generation. They reckon it's garbage. Miserable girl and guitar, pathetic waif-life 'singers' recording in basements and more autotune than you can possibly imagine.

But, like I said, we are getting older and although we like to think we are open to 'new' music, most of it just doesn't resonate much with us perhaps. Like some of the music Amir posts in his lists of tracks he uses would make me run out of the room. Don't know if he genuinely likes it, or just wants to appear cool with the kids. ;)

A bit like a grandpa at a nightclub. That's how I feel with pretty much everything I hear on the radio.

Man listen to radio schwarzwald.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.schwarzwaldradio.android&hl=de&gl=US

Ok they talk german, even translate suzi quatro english texts to german. Whats somehow very , lets say curved.
But good old music.
Did you know that bob dylan introduced the Beatels to Marihuana? You see thats that realy importend kind of information that you miss, if you no listen to radio schwarzwald and learn german! ;)

vibess

Thought this deserved a mention here.
(Video date: 2019)

Loved it, thank you! Especially with the singer that makes it feels so out of place, but it sounds great.

Blaspheme

If we are willing to go that far. . .

Nice.

I'll be pedantic (forgive me) and point out that (other-worldliness notwithstanding) this is a very different type of music to Ikeda. For many listeners, all abstract electronic sounds alike due to unfamiliarity, but I'd make distinctions between impressionist, expressionist and structuralist methods and characteristics, for example. Nils Fram is usually the former, this one strikes me as expressionistic, while Ikeda takes an obviously structuralist approach (over-simplifying, of course).

It's fairly common to be moved emotionally by the first two, and find the third cold or soulless. Personally I find the analytical intelligence of the latter engaging and moving (but that response is less common). So I love Ikeda, Autechre or Alva Noto's structuralist pieces, but sometimes find Fram, Sakamoto or Jaar too moody/sentimental. When I really want to rock out, I mean (I'm actually enjoying Jaar at the moment).

Last edited:
Top Bottom