• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Music is dead.

Skeptischism

and this guy.... what can I say about Nils Frahm

I had the pleasure to catch him live at the riverside centre in 2019. one of the last gigs I went to before the pandemic hit.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Chord progressions are getting simpler and all pop music now sounds very similar. There is a good video by Rick Beato
so, yeah, pop music is dead...
Having said that, I do enjoy new songs of Miley Cyrus. There is a sand in her voice which I enjoy very much, even though the melody is the same old chord progression...

Blaspheme

and this guy.... what can I say about Nils Frahm ... I had the pleasure to catch him live at the riverside centre in 2019. one of the last gigs I went to before the pandemic hit.
That would have been cool.

Back in November, a muso in our local community with a connection to Nils organised a (premiere) screening of Tripping With Nils Frahm ... as a COVID-safe stream in our local park (it was a global exclusive of sorts). Very mellow and beautiful piano piece/s and I think my first live-ish music event after (or during) the long lockdown here. I don't appear to have a photo. I guess it was a bit surreal.

Last edited:

Skeptischism

That would have been cool.

Back in November, a muso in our local community with a connection to Nils organised a (premiere) screening of Tripping With Nils Frahm ... as a COVID-safe stream in our local park (it was a global exclusive of sorts). Very mellow and beautiful piano piece/s and I think my first live-ish music event after (or during) the long lockdown here. I don't appear to have a photo. I guess it was a bit surreal.

It was one of the most profoundly beautiful pieces of artwork i've ever bore witness to. It was a show in our largest concert hall, usually home to full orchestras, but he somehow turned it into the most intimate musical experience. The material, the way its miced, everything, he reaches into you and also lays himself bare and exposed. Touring must be very taxing for him I would imagine. I went with a small group of friends, of what is now nearly 30 years, that I met through music. They are family, we KNOW each other, the raw, gorgeous, flawed, yet brilliant and generous gang of 4. He made us all cry <3 :) Coincidentally and somewhat fittingly, the title of the track where we all realised we were weeping was "Forever Changeless' from "All Melody' But the track that will stick with me was an extended version of 'Fundamental Values'

Last edited:

Skeptischism

OMG, reading that back this morning, it sounds so trite. If you ask anyone, i'm not a sentimental person. and i'm not usually one to 'wax lyrical' about sound.

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
OMG, reading that back this morning, it sounds so trite. If you ask anyone, i'm not a sentimental person. and i'm not usually one to 'wax lyrical' about sound.
Lol
My mind still hasn't changed since I started this thread

Anthony101

Honestly, I don't understand how any self-respecting vocalist can sing any of this crap. have you heard the song Work by Rihanna and Drake?
Here are some of the lyrics to observe how stupid and silly the writing behind this song is.

Work, work, work, work, work, work
He said me haffi
Work, work, work, work, work, work!
He see me do mi
Dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt, dirt!
So me put in
When you ah guh
Learn, learn, learn, learn, learn
Meh nuh cyar if him
Hurt, hurt, hurt, hurt, hurting

Sadly, it's all about the money and how much crap the record companies can shove in our ears.

weasels

Honestly, I don't understand how any self-respecting vocalist can sing any of this crap. have you heard the song Work by Rihanna and Drake?
Here are some of the lyrics to observe how stupid and silly the writing behind this song is.

He said me haffi
He see me do mi
So me put in
When you ah guh
Meh nuh cyar if him

Sadly, it's all about the money and how much crap the record companies can shove in our ears.

Or maybe you just quoted the chorus and not the verses, one of which is this:

Dry! ...Me a desert him
Nuh time to have you lurking
Him ah go act like he nuh like it
You know I dealt with you the nicest
Nuh body touch me you nuh righteous
Nuh badda, text me in a crisis
I believed all of your dreams, adoration
You took my heart and my keys and my patience
You took my heart on my sleeve for decoration
You mistaken my love I brought for you for foundation
All that I wanted from you was to give me
Something that I never had
Something that you've never seen
Something that you've never been!
Mmmmm!
But I wake up and act like nothing's wrong
Just get ready fi...

Blaspheme

He said me haffi
He see me do mi
So me put in
When you ah guh
Meh nuh cyar if him

From the first LP I ever bought:

Last night, I said these words to my girl
I know you never even try, girl

[Chorus]
Come on (Come on), come on (Come on)
Come on (Come on), come on (Come on)
Please please me, whoa yeah, like I please you

[Verse 2]
You don't need me to show the way, love
Why do I always have to say, love?

[Chorus]
Come on (Come on), Come on (Come on)
Come on (Come on), Come on (Come on)
Please please me, whoa yeah, like I please you

... etc. Pop has always been erudite.

*ok my parents bought it for me

izeek

Well almost...
I can't help but feel that older music is just is so much better than all the new stuff being released today in all music genres.
There isn't one modern rock band that even comes close to Radiohead, Nirvana, PJ etc..
No artist that comes close to MJ
No new Bob Dylan, no new Jeff Buckley etc...
Well you get my point.
All new music and artists are just mediocre at best, except in some rare cases (Joanna Newsom, Regina spektor)
Does anyone here feels the same way?
I would agree with caveats. Randomly, you'll get lucky.
Kinda hard to compare them days with today because sound preferences seem to change every few years.
The plus is I don't have to listen to old ass rnb anymore. Or even vintage rock.
I haven't listened to radio in nearly 15 years. Same ol sh÷+ everyday.
No. I want to hear something new everyday.
The real prollem is that now there are sooooo many artists and with pcs creating music is easy since one doesn't have to know jack to make chune.
I'm an EDM fan. Truly only one in a few hundred are worth the the time it took to even find it.

Blaspheme

I would agree with caveats. Randomly, you'll get lucky.
Kinda hard to compare them days with today because sound preferences seem to change every few years.
The plus is I don't have to listen to old ass rnb anymore. Or even vintage rock.
I haven't listened to radio in nearly 15 years. Same ol sh÷+ everyday.
No. I want to hear something new everyday.
The real prollem is that now there are sooooo many artists and with pcs creating music is easy since one doesn't have to know jack to make chune.
I'm an EDM fan. Truly only one in a few hundred are worth the the time it took to even find it.
It's worse than that, mate, millenials just do it on the bedroom floor:

*I love watching humble beginnings, Grimes has become a legend in her own lifetime.

Last edited:

Blaspheme

One of the things I like about new music is that it isn't just the onstage punch'n'judy show. When Ryoji Ikeda presents a piece, you can live in it:

*I love the vast visualisation of wavelengths in Test Pattern

Last edited:
Top Bottom