• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multichannel DSP and DAC including Atmos

colinb4987

Hi all,

I'm planning to build an office/cinema/listening space in my garden, and am trying to define the AV solution. It will be a 7.3.4 system, with, initially at least, a single channel to each of the 7 full range drivers (provision for an extra 10 channels if I end up doing DIY 3-way for the LCR, SL, and SR). The 3 subs will be single driver sealed box affairs, as will the .4 overheads. Video is an ultra-short-throw projector.

Source will be digital files served over the network (be they FLAC, MP3, or ripped BluRay) to a dedicated PC (preferably running Linux) acting as AV player and Roon endpoint.

If I'm thinking correctly, I need 14 individual channels of DSP and DAC, with a future max of 24 channels needed.

Would something like this work?:
Roon - VB-Audio Matrix - CamillaDSP - USB out - Motu 24Ao - up to 24 channels of amplification - drivers

For AV, presumably there is an Atmos-capable media player out there, and the same setup would work?

Are there opinions on or alternatives to the Motu 24Ao?

Thanks in advance for insights and assistance!

ppataki

Major Contributor
You would not have Atmos though, it is still not supported in Jriver
Roon I am not sure but I guess it is the same
For that matter: I don't think there is any software player available for PC/Mac that can decode Atmos (with the height channels) in real-time into PCM - but I am happy to stand corrected
Jriver can decode the core (7.1) but that's it

Last edited:
OP
C

colinb4987

Wouldn't it be enough just like this:

PC (using Jriver and its DSP) --> Motu 24 --> amps ?
Yes, except that I already have a life license to Roon, and like its interface plus as you point out, Jriver doesn't solve the Atmos issue

I don't think there is any software player available for PC/Mac that can decode Atmos (with the height channels) in real-time into PCM
I guess this sits at the core of this - otherwise I'm going to have to push it all through an AVR

OP
C

colinb4987

For AV, presumably there is an Atmos-capable media player out there, and the same setup would work?
Answering my own question for anyone else stumbling across this - yes, there is, but it involves a bit of faff.

Two routes seem to be available, though neither lets you initially open a file and push play:
  1. According to Audiophile Style, one can make a BDRip with MakeMKV, push the audio side through Dolby Reference Player (accessible for a one-off $400 fee for Dolby Media Encoder), and spit the PCM coming out of that into your audio interface/DSP/DAC/whatever. This process works for both Dolby Digital Plus Atmos (lossy) and Dolby TrueHD Atmos (lossless)
  2. Rip BDRip with MakeMKV, process with Cavernize to suit your system layout, play with media player of your choice with audio out going into your audio interface/DSP/DAC/whatever. This only works for Dolby Digital Plus Atmos (lossy).

ppataki

Major Contributor
Unfortunately these are non-solutions, just workarounds :(
I wonder if Atmos will ever be available for a PC......

OP
C

colinb4987

They're certainly clunky!

Atmos on PC will come - but probably only once it becomes near-ubiquitous as a mixing standard, and MS takes a license for it such that the technology is implemented at the level of Windows.

mkt

Roon limits your channel count to 8 (7.1 or 5.1.2). The path of least resistance for file-based multichannel audio/video with more channels than 5.1 seems to be a software player that sends bitstream to an AVR which does the decoding. All things multichannel here https://www.quadraphonicquad.com

OP
C

colinb4987

Roon limits your channel count to 8 (7.1 or 5.1.2). The path of least resistance for file-based multichannel audio/video with more channels than 5.1 seems to be a software player that sends bitstream to an AVR which does the decoding. All things multichannel here https://www.quadraphonicquad.com
Thanks. I can work with that limitation for audio (will mainly be listening in stereo anyway, I expect), and Roon isn't in the loop for films

Reactions: mkt

jhenderson0107

It is certainly possible to run an Atmos (or Dolby/Ambisonics/other) upmixer on a PC streaming with lossless stereo content while maintaining a fully digital processing I/O chain.

Here's how I accomplish this:
Roon->Wiim Pro+ coax->miniDSP UDIO-8->ThinkcenterPC->Hang Loose Host VST host->Penteo16 Pro+ upmixer->miniDSP UDIO-8->2x miniDSP 4x10HD->speakers.

1709397297109.png

This is not as convenient as an AVR. But, it is exceedingly DSP-flexible, sounds great and permits infinite tinkering.

jhenderson0107

Can you play a Dolby Atmos movie with this solution? I mean fully utilizing all decoded (16 or 32) channels?
This approach does not decode. This is an upmixer solution only. So, 1-16 input channels can be upmixed to (up to) 16 output channels in (almost) any format.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice signal chain @jhenderson0107, Mitch's tool is a very versatile part of my kit as well.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad I was of some assistance @jhenderson0107, looks like you took that info and went far beyond! I saw on your graph the Bitter plugin and have downloaded it to play with.

Cheers!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I'm thinking correctly, I need 14 individual channels of DSP and DAC, with a future max of 24 channels needed.

Would a Monolith HTP-1 work for you? It has PEQ and Dirac and you can run PEQ before or after Dirac. 16 channels.

Then when you actually need 24, you can upgrade. If it’s mostly subs, MSO might be an alternative.

The other strategy is an external box like an Intonato 24 which has a transparent enough ADC/DAC which lets you process the output from a AVR or AVP.

Top Bottom