• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moving mic and I got this

ezra_s

Forum Donor
Using REW I tried the moving MIC method, pink noise and tried to get close to 85dB SPL, not sure if I did everything right but after settling down the responses would always be more or less like this.

Can anyone make sense on how to deal with this responses in my room? The 60hz response is even there when subwooffer is off. And the 132Hz peak.

Would it be wise to try to tame this with -10G, Q7 at both 62Hz and 132Hz? What would you guys do?

subwooffer-and-elac-dbr62.png

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When my SPL measurement is about 85dB using pink noise the RTA shows this. Sorry if there is something I don't understand but I think this looks correct; pink noise should have a downsloping spectrum and integrating the SPL over the whole band gives 85dB. If you integrate your curve I think it would be well over 100dB on an SPL meter so maybe it isn't using the right calibration, for one thing?

pink.jpg

Erici

Forum Donor
When my SPL measurement is about 85dB using pink noise the RTA shows this. Sorry if there is something I don't understand but I think this looks correct; pink noise should have a downsloping spectrum and integrating the SPL over the whole band gives 85dB. If you integrate your curve I think it would be well over 100dB on an SPL meter so maybe it isn't using the right calibration, for one thing?

View attachment 146352

You probably have spectrum chosen on the options. Use RTA 1/48 octave instead. And also, under Appearance select Adjust RTA levels.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You probably have spectrum chosen on the options. Use RTA 1/48 octave instead. And also, under Appearance select Adjust RTA levels.
Yes that was my setting. With RTA 1/48 I get this. I thought that was just smoothing but it looks like it flattens the slope? Also my pink noise setting is full range; is that wrong? Obviously I'm not being helpful. But anyway here is what I get with 1/48:
pink2.jpg

Erici

Forum Donor
Yes that was my setting. With RTA 1/48 I get this. I thought that was just smoothing but it looks like it flattens the slope? Also my pink noise setting is full range; is that wrong? Obviously I'm not being helpful. But anyway here is what I get with 1/48:View attachment 146367

Full range pink noise is fine. I use pink periodic full range.
Select Adjust RTA levels to see more accurate SPL levels.
Select 32 for Averages to get an average of 32 samples.
Click Save to send the data over to the main REW window.
Use Variable smoothing if you want to have REW generate filters for you.
Use Psychoacoustic smoothing to see how our ears hear the sound.
Click the little Capture icon at the upper left of the screen to save a jpeg of your current screen for posting.
Use a scale of 40-90 on the SPL axis if you want to get feedback on your graph.

And here is a link to a great REW tutorial:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/51jpnxet3bvew2k/REW 101 HTS Current Version.pdf?dl=1

REW support forum:
https://www.avnirvana.com/forums/official-rew-room-eq-wizard-support-forum.10/

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Click the little Capture icon at the upper left of the screen to save a jpeg of your current screen for posting.

REW support forum:
Thank you very much for this. I've always used the sweep measurements to see frequency response but it is interesting top learn. I will try to go through at least some of that.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Your response is typical of any room which is "small" on an acoustic scale.

The peaks and dips below 200-300 are caused by a combination of room modes and speaker placement. In order to improve that region you need multiple subwoofers and acoustic treatment.

Using EQ to fix your response in 1 seating position will worsen it elsewhere, that is the nature of room modes. The multi-sub approach causes a smoother response over a broader area, making EQ more effective.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

REW support forum:
I really do appreciate your help and sorry that I chimed in without understanding this very well. Also thanks to the OP for starting the thread. In case anyone else has same questions as me, here are a couple points I didn't understand [from https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/spectrum.html]:

On why the RTA curve is flat with pink noise:
Pink noise has energy that falls 3 dB with each doubling of frequency. On a spectrum plot it is a line that falls at that 3 dB per octave rate, on an RTA plot it is a horizontal line as the energy in the signal is falling at the same rate as the bins are widening.

On the vertical scale:
The Adjust RTA Levels option offsets the levels shown on the RTA plot to compensate for both the bandwidth variation as resolution is changed and the difference between a sweep measurement at a given sweep level and a pink PN RTA measurement at the same level, allowing direct comparison between RTA and sweep plots.

I did a RTA moving the mic back and forth across the listening area, and this method seems to give a smoother result than averaging sweeps. Now I really want to compare more carefully and see which method I like better.

Top Bottom