• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Movie Soundtracks We Enjoy

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am a sucker for 'compilation' style soundtracks.

Something Wild is likely my favorite. It even has some different mixes vs. the album versions.

Dazed and Confused fills me with nostalgia, for sure.

FM has seen a good amount of play in my life.

Gross Pointe Blank, too.

Rushmore made me happy, too.

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Posted this in a half-century retrospective I'm doing in the Jazz Music thread. Here's a link to the post just before this one there with links to posts about ~41 fine jazz albums from 1973. :)

Allmusic: “A blaxploitation masterpiece on par with Curtis Mayfield's Superfly and Isaac Hayes' Shaft, Roy Ayers' soundtrack for the 1973 Pam Grier vehicle Coffy remains one of the most intriguing and evocative film scores of its era or any other. Ayers' signature vibes create atmospheres and textures quite distinct from your average blaxploitation effort, embracing both heavy, tripped-out funk and vividly nuanced soul-jazz… Richly cinematic grooves, inventive and cohesive.”

This was Ayers’ ~12th of ~40 albums from 1963 to 2004. The short video is the film’s title sequence, sung by “Denise” (Dee Dee) Bridgewater. :cool:

Roy Ayers, Coffy - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, full album: YouTube link ; Spotify link

coffy.png

Last edited:

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
The score to the 1933 film "King Kong' by Max Steiner is generally credited with establishing the 'grammar' of film music composition.

The original score is available on the Internet Archive. A reconstruction of the score was recorded in the 1990's

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
A fifteen (15) minute sampler of Bernard Herrmann's score to Alfred Hitchcock's 1959 film, North By Northwest

The original soundtrack was recorded in stereo and has wide dynamic range

I believe some music services are streaming a file of the original soundtrack with 24-bit resolution

Herbert

Simon Fisher Turner is missing here - he started composing doing soundworld for Derek Jarman - his soundtracks work completely without the image and are an art of itself:

Herbert

A fifteen (15) minute sampler of Bernard Herrmann's score to Alfred Hitchcock's 1959 film, North By Northwest

The original soundtrack was recorded in stereo and has wide dynamic range

I believe some music services are streaming a file of the original soundtrack with 24-bit resolution
But as the producer stated in the liner notes, one master tape was very much detoriated, unfortunately the "famous" cues like the beginning and the chase at Mount Rushmore were affected. This can be also heard in the video, the tracks affected sound much more muffled.
But the dawn of the digital era, labels like Unicorn - Kanchana released new recordings of Movie soundtracks,
using just stereo microphones hooked to a PCM recorder like Soundstram or Sony:

P.S. I always loved Jerry Goldsmiths "Star Trek - The Motion Picture" from 1979. The sessions were recorded simultaneously with a Sony PCM hooked to a stereo mic
plus the "classical" setup / way, using multiple mics for closer recording of the orchestras' sections, recording this on multitrack tape - I assume this was to save time, so that the PCM-based soundtrack could be prepared independently of the movies' mixing.
La-LaLand records released the complete score in 2012, using the multitrack source - sounds much better!

Matt_Holland

IMG_5503.jpeg

Encanto.
My kids love this film and I’ve become a huge fan too. There’s a subtly dark tone underneath the catchy lyrics and fun melodies of many of the songs. And traditional Columbian styles pervade. Nicely produced too.
This is Disney at its best. Wonderful.

Somafunk

Major Contributor

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Top Bottom