• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu vs Audient for VSX Headset

Zack__1987

Hi there!

I've been reading this forum for a while and decided to post something just for all the more expertise people here.

I'm trying to decide in between the Motu Ultralite MK5 and the Audient iD44 MKII audio interface. Planning to buy the low impedance VSX headset from Steven Slate and since for now I don't a treated room, I want to use it for mixing.

Point is that I saw that Audient headphones output is not so nice for low impedance headphones and Motus is better but maybe not that better.

I don't want to expend 500€ on a headset that is not going to take advantage from the headphone output.

So I took a look on the Topping L30II.
The thing is that I prefer to not have to buy this if possible and don't know if the change is going to be night and day at all.

Thanks in advance for the help.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can get a used Schiit Magni (or other brand), off eBay, for under $100.
Connect it to the line-output (RCA?) on whatever Audio Interface you get.

OP
Zack__1987

Zack__1987

You can get a used Schiit Magni (or other brand), off eBay, for under $100.
Connect it to the line-output (RCA?) on whatever Audio Interface you get.
Didn't know that model but seems in the line/price of the JDS Atom.

Since I am from Spain and the shipping costs me like 50€, I ended choosing the Topping L30II (150€) or the Ifi Zen V2 because seems better at it costs me the same price through Amazon.es.

Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
JDS Atom, guess about the same as the Magni.
But it looks like the Topping L30II is also an option.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Zack__1987 the YouTuber Julian Krause does extensive tests of various audio interfaces, including their headphone outputs.
He has a table with all his results summarized. Here's the latest version:
Screenshot_20231007-213129_YouTube.png
And here's a link to his channel: https://youtube.com/@JulianKrause

For low impedance, dynamic driver headphones, the Audient's high output impedance is a no-go IMO.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Btw, the Slate VSX's stock frequency response is really quite poor:
Screenshot_20231007-214004_Drive.png
(Link)

I would consider buying the Austrian Hi-X60 instead and coupling that with Waves NX for room simulation, which uses industry standard measurements from oratory1990 for frequency response correction.

OP
Zack__1987

Zack__1987

@Zack__1987 the YouTuber Julian Krause does extensive tests of various audio interfaces, including their headphone outputs.
He has a table with all his results summarized. Here's the latest version:
View attachment 317351
And here's a link to his channel: https://youtube.com/@JulianKrause

For low impedance, dynamic driver headphones, the Audient's high output impedance is a no-go IMO.
I'm just in between this confusion because I saw that review and ended thinking that if I go with Audient iD44, I will end needing a headphone amplifier.

Would you recommend me getting one for that interface or the Motu Ultralite MK5? Or maybe is better to just go for a higher impedance headset and don't take the amplifier?

Didn't know about that Austrian headset or the Waves NX plugin. It is true that I don't really love the VSX headset, but the plugin seems good and in every video I searched, people are really convinced of how it sounds.

Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Would you recommend me getting one for that interface or the Motu Ultralite MK5?
Do you see a reason to choose the Audient over the mk5, despite the Audient's poor headphone out?
If not, then I'd just get the mk5.

Didn't know about that Austrian headset or the Waves NX plugin. It is true that I don't really love the VSX headset, but the plugin seems good and in every video I searched, people are really convinced of how it sounds.
I searched for replacement ear pads for the VSX online, but found nothing. That alone would be a deal breaker for me.

In contrast, OEM replacement ear pads for Austrian, AKG, Beyer, Senn, DCA, etc can be easily ordered from a number of online retailers.

Last edited:
OP
Zack__1987

Zack__1987

Do you see a reason to choose the Audient over the mk5, despite the Audient's poor headphone out?
If not, then I'd just get the mk5.

I searched for replacement ear pads for the VSX online, but found nothing. That alone would be a deal breaker for me.

In contrast, OEM replacement ear pads for Austrian, AKG, Beyer, Senn, DCA, etc can be easily ordered from a number of online retailers.
I ended buying the Motu Ultralite MK5.

Saw a review here from the Motu and also says that a headphone amplifier would be needed for that interface too. I saw yesterday a Ifi Zen DAC V2 for around a 130€ on second hand that could be nice, but maybe the Topping L30II seems better?

About the earpads, well, is not something I am going to think right now if the quality for using the plugins is so good, but it is true that the headset seems not that premium to me apparently.

Will search some comparison in between the Waves technology vs Steven Slates one.

Last edited:

studio7

Try the Motu without the headphone amp first. My iD4 here works great with a pair of 55 Ohm AKG's.

OP
Zack__1987

Zack__1987

Btw, the Slate VSX's stock frequency response is really quite poor:
View attachment 317358
(Link)

I would consider buying the Austrian Hi-X60 instead and coupling that with Waves NX for room simulation, which uses industry standard measurements from oratory1990 for frequency response correction.
You opened my eyes a bit because I didn't know about the Waves NX for room simulation and to be honest, the headphones from Steven Slate didn't appeal to me so much.

I ended buying the Motu Ultralite MK5 and looking for some professional headphones, I ended falling in love with the Neumann NDH-30.

Do you think is a good option? Also I think with the Motu I shouldn't need a headphone amplifier since this headphone has 120 Ohms of impedance.

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
There's an EQ for them, which is good.
Also

Basically, any halfway common (and commonly measured), consistent, technically competent headphone should be a good basis.

BTW, a headset is a headphone-microphone combination. Better use the correct to term avoid confusion.

OP
Zack__1987

Zack__1987

There's an EQ for them, which is good.
Also

Basically, any halfway common (and commonly measured), consistent, technically competent headphone should be a good basis.

BTW, a headset is a headphone-microphone combination. Better use the correct to term avoid confusion.
You are right, sorry but in spanish we only use "auriculares" for everything.

Thanks for the links, but what is Rotary and how can I apply that EQ? I saw that Waves XL has premade eqs for a lot of headphones and they have one for NDH 20 but not for the 30.

Maybe is the same because both headphones are mostly the same but closed vs back opened.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks for the links, but what is Rotary and how can I apply that EQ? I saw that Waves XL has premade eqs for a lot of headphones and they have one for NDH 20 but not for the 30.
Waves NX uses frequency response measurements from oratory1990 to correct the headphone's response before applying the room simulation.
Since oratory has measured the NDH30 already, a preset for it should be added to Waves NX soon.

Maybe is the same because both headphones are mostly the same but closed vs back opened.
They are not interchangeable.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I ended falling in love with the Neumann NDH-30.
The NDH 30 is an open-backed headphone, which means that you will clearly hear your surroundings, and the people around you will clearly hear what you're listening to. Are you sure that won't cause issues?

OP
Zack__1987

Zack__1987

The NDH 30 is an open-backed headphone, which means that you will clearly hear your surroundings, and the people around you will clearly hear what you're listening to. Are you sure that won't cause issues?
I am in a room with not to much noise and since I already have some closed headphones at home, I think I will experience fatigue with closed at some point.

They normally overwhelm me at some point and I also read that open back are better for mixing.

By the way, Waves Head Tracker should be a must for this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom