• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you a lot again!

I asked about the SSL2 and Clarett+ because of my indecision between the M4, ID14 MKII and Clarett+ 2Pre and the recent discovery of a like-new used SSL2 for a low price. I guess the ID14 MKII can be excluded. The Clarett+ 2Pre features optical input and probably a better headphone output, but loses two line inputs on the back and has a considerably higher price; it doesn't seem to be that different from the previous USB-C Clarett, so the M4 sound quality for both recording and listening could match it; the Clarett+ 4Pre can be the model for a better choice, but the price bracket is very different and the interface may then compete with something like the UltraLite MK5, not the M4.

After many evaluations, I believe the M4 is the right option for me. The SSL2 has less features and worse outputs, as mentioned, but the low price of this specific discovery may make buying it as a second interface, alongside the M4, a nice idea. I do not particularly care about the 4K emulation, but I nonetheless read positive comments on its recording quality even without colouring the sound.
@Julian Krause has measured/reviewed some of the mentioned sets on his YouTube channel. You may find the specs comparison tables helpful- and in some instances, surprising :)

Archon43

IMO, be careful buying things based on specs alone. I used to put a lot of emphasis on specs, and sure you want an audio device with blemish-free sound and good specs. But specs do not tell the full tale of the sound, you have to think of the form factor, audio inputs and outputs, the software, support, etc. A lot of DACs I have heard measure extremely well, but are very clinical and almost too pristine where all they do is emphasize issues in the audio sources while not really sounding much or any better than my Aorus Master X570 built in audio (which has a DAC as well in it).

For example, I owned the two Audient audio interfaces and the Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen. I sent a message to Focusrite and Audient support at the same night, technically I messaged Audient first. I asked the support to remove the software registration from my account for resale.

Audient took 3 days to get back to me, then informed me they will remove the registrations but informed me the free software (They call Arc) would not be available to the new buyers. I had to confirm I really wanted to remove the registrations and that took another 2 days. The whole process took 5 days, two messages, and you cannot give the free software to the new owner.

Focusrite messaged me the next morning, informing me they removed the registration from my account and the new buyer will be able to register it and get their free software without issue.

That is an example of looking past specs, Focusrite obviously is more flexible and gets back to you if you have an issue much faster.

Audient is touted for their sound, yet I was never super impressed with the sound (my Topping E50 sounds better). The MOTU M4 sounds just as good as the Topping E50, yet specs slightly worse. They sound almost identical, but the MOTU sounds slightly more analog, so I prefer it.

Another example is the Schiit Modi 3+ vs the Schiit Modi Multibit. The 3+ will spec a lot better, yet the Multibit sounds much better. In the past, I went from the Modi 2 Uber to the Modi Multibit and I quickly sold the Modi 2 Uber.

Cadence

IMO, be careful buying things based on specs alone. I used to put a lot of emphasis on specs, and sure you want an audio device with blemish-free sound and good specs. But specs do not tell the full tale of the sound, you have to think of the form factor, audio inputs and outputs, the software, support, etc. A lot of DACs I have heard measure extremely well, but are very clinical and almost too pristine where all they do is emphasize issues in the audio sources while not really sounding much or any better than my Aorus Master X570 built in audio (which has a DAC as well in it).

For example, I owned the two Audient audio interfaces and the Focusrite 18i20 3rd gen. I sent a message to Focusrite and Audient support at the same night, technically I messaged Audient first. I asked the support to remove the software registration from my account for resale.

Audient took 3 days to get back to me, then informed me they will remove the registrations but informed me the free software (They call Arc) would not be available to the new buyers. I had to confirm I really wanted to remove the registrations and that took another 2 days. The whole process took 5 days, two messages, and you cannot give the free software to the new owner.

Focusrite messaged me the next morning, informing me they removed the registration from my account and the new buyer will be able to register it and get their free software without issue.

That is an example of looking past specs, Focusrite obviously is more flexible and gets back to you if you have an issue much faster.

Audient is touted for their sound, yet I was never super impressed with the sound (my Topping E50 sounds better). The MOTU M4 sounds just as good as the Topping E50, yet specs slightly worse. They sound almost identical, but the MOTU sounds slightly more analog, so I prefer it.

Another example is the Schiit Modi 3+ vs the Schiit Modi Multibit. The 3+ will spec a lot better, yet the Multibit sounds much better. In the past, I went from the Modi 2 Uber to the Modi Multibit and I quickly sold the Modi 2 Uber.
I watched Julian's videos to understand the specifications of each interface, but I see how they can be "misleading". For instance, the Audient ID14 MKII seems to be impressive, but then falls short when actually using it, like in your case.

For me, I believe a sound conclusion can be to choose the Motu M4, bought new due to its absence in the second-hand market here, or the SSL2, if I can purchase it slightly used for the low price I have found. The Clarett+ 4Pre / 8Pre and models in a similar price range, like the UltraLite MK5, will be considered as future upgrades when needed.

Thanks for clearing my mind with these replies!

phoenixsong

I watched Julian's videos to understand the specifications of each interface, but I see how they can be "misleading". For instance, the Audient ID14 MKII seems to be impressive, but then falls short when actually using it, like in your case.

For me, I believe a sound conclusion can be to choose the Motu M4, bought new due to its absence in the second-hand market here, or the SSL2, if I can purchase it slightly used for the low price I have found. The Clarett+ 4Pre / 8Pre and models in a similar price range, like the UltraLite MK5, will be considered as future upgrades when needed.

Thanks for clearing my mind with these replies!
... Unless in-depth measurements reveal flaws, such as this review including multitone measurements :)

@Archon43 the Motu M series do have an analogue-like sound. My M2 reminds me of my LG G6 phone with Quad DAC (I have for some time been using a Poco X3 since that model. LG has regrettably decided to withdraw from the mobile phone industry- the Poco's audio quality pales in comparison, being miles more inferior)

dasdoing

Major Contributor
come one guys. I ignored the first one, but now 2 people saying they have analog sound? it meassured transparent. where would that analog sound come from?

phoenixsong

come one guys. I ignored the first one, but now 2 people saying they have analog sound? it meassured transparent. where would that analog sound come from?
Maybe you prefer the words "smooth", "non-aggressive", "natural" and "textured"? :facepalm:

phoenixsong

The Motu and LG do sound clearer/less muffled than devices which are not audibly transparent though

kongwee

Major Contributor
analog sound more like nature. You can take a breath in and breath out.:)

phoenixsong

dont facepalm me lol

I just don't think analog is the right term here, quite contrary.....the more transparent the less "analog"
Then I could say don't tell me to "don't facepalm" you lol! Get off your high horse already. I kind of get what you mean, but even people with similar views might have different interpretations of the same thing, shaped by their different past experiences and learnt norms

Juju

On PC using Studio One.
The gain on the Motu M4 is incredibly low compared to my old cheap UR22. Like 12db lower.
Signal is bass->Reddi at noon->interface same cable, no gain on interface.
Once i put both signals at same level, i've the impression im loosing a bit details/definition, like the recording from the UR22 has more depth.
Also playing back music, i had a couple of times some drops. Maybe a coincidence, but something I never noticed with the UR22.
However the playback sound is very good, might be more flat than UR22. I like the volume knob and gain level on the Motu 4.
I'm thinking to return the M4 and buy a more expensive RME and be done with any doubts.

Attachments

• Capture UR22 vs Motu M4.PNG
    Capture UR22 vs Motu M4.PNG
    137 KB · Views: 96
  • Motu M4.PNG
    Motu M4.PNG
    111.5 KB · Views: 99
  • UR22.PNG
    UR22.PNG
    126.4 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

oversorrow

Here we go, a Chinese audio marketing company compared the old and the new versions of M2/M4.https://www.exound.com/articles/16ef084c-5cbe-4b4f-8da7-befce85fc235

In short:
DAC: ES9016S to ES9026PRO
ADC: AK5554 to ES9840 (M2 using ES9820)
Controller: XMOS to Atmel (Roundtrip Latency is same)
Place of Manufacture: the U.S.A. to China
PCB Board: Green to Blue (looks like a hi-class stuff huh :p)

955.png

The new version is better than the old one in general.

phoenixsong

I still find it strange that there hasn't been more promotion around the changes, given the supposed slight improvements. Would be interesting to see a review done on the latest versions of the M2 and M4 (easy for me to say as a reader though :p)

phoenixsong

On PC using Studio One.
The gain on the Motu M4 is incredibly low compared to my old cheap UR22. Like 12db lower.
Signal is bass->Reddi at noon->interface same cable, no gain on interface.
Once i put both signals at same level, i've the impression im loosing a bit details/definition, like the recording from the UR22 has more depth.
Also playing back music, i had a couple of times some drops. Maybe a coincidence, but something I never noticed with the UR22.
However the playback sound is very good, might be more flat than UR22. I like the volume knob and gain level on the Motu 4.
I'm thinking to return the M4 and buy a more expensive RME and be done with any doubts.
This might be helpful

Juju

Thank you for sharing.
The input gain is way too low, for all my bass DI's and preamps:
- If I boost the gain loud enough to record Im getting noise from the M4 preamp.
- If I don't boost when recording, I've to boost it on my Studio One later on, and the sound has less depth and definition than an old UR22.
- The M4 does not have option to turn on or off the Hi-Z, which is maybe part of my complain,
- Also, the output was louder on the left speaker than right speaker, I needed to apply some balance to boost the right speaker.
Balance which immediately get back to center when using the UR22.
The results I'm getting are nowhere near all the positive reviews I've read over the last weeks.
I'm no longer trusting this product. Therefore I returned the M4 last Saturday.
Im waiting for availability on a RME babyface or UCXII.

carmico

Here we go, a Chinese audio marketing company compared the old and the new versions of M2/M4.https://www.exound.com/articles/16ef084c-5cbe-4b4f-8da7-befce85fc235

In short:
DAC: ES9016S to ES9026PRO
ADC: AK5554 to ES9840 (M2 using ES9820)
Controller: XMOS to Atmel (Roundtrip Latency is same)
Place of Manufacture: the U.S.A. to China
PCB Board: Green to Blue (looks like a hi-class stuff huh :p)

The new version is better than the old one in general.
how to know when buying what's the M2/M4 (2022) ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom