• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M2 Review (Audio Interface)

jtbili

It is also recommended to upgrade the firmware of M2 to the latest version 2.02. It is easy, using the MOTU Universal Firmware updater (actual version 2022.2)

Last edited:

umbral

It is also recommended to upgrade the firmware of M2 to the latest version 2.02. It is easy, using the MOTU Universal Firmware updater (actual version 2022.2)

You can upgrade to 2.02 only if you have the revision model. For the first model it is a different version with 1.xx

Trell

Major Contributor
You can upgrade to 2.02 only if you have the revision model. For the first model it is a different version with 1.xx

That was the case for me when I checked a number of times last year as I own the first revision.

wavess

Anyone know if the M2 can be used for bass management in the way that a Minidsp 2x4 can?

Trell

Major Contributor
Anyone know if the M2 can be used for bass management in the way that a Minidsp 2x4 can?
No, it can't as for starters it's a an audio interface with just stereo output, so no independent output for the subwoofer(s).

wavess

No, it can't as for starters it's a an audio interface with just stereo output, so no independent output for the subwoofer(s).
I should have mentioned that this would be for processing of the LFE channel from a receiver. So all that is needed is the ability to route a single input channel to two output channels that can be EQ'd independently, the appropriate EQ adjustments, and low latency.
I think it is possible using CamillaDSP and M4 model
That looks like it would work. Not sure about the latency, though.

If it does work, it's a much better deal than the Minidsp unit since you also get a competent headphone amp and mic preamp included.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
I should have mentioned that this would be for processing of the LFE channel from a receiver. So all that is needed is the ability to route a single input channel to two output channels that can be EQ'd independently, the appropriate EQ adjustments, and low latency.

There is no DSP on the M2, so any input to the M2 has to be processed on a PC (or something) using software and then you output the result as stereo output from the M2.

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unfortunately the M4 doesn't work well for this either. I had the same idea. The problem is that the main volume control only changes out 1&2. Out 3&4 are line outs so have a fixed level. Furthermore, under windows, the driver always serves up out 1&2 and out 3&4 as two seperate stereo outputs. Ideally you'd want a quadraphonic output or you may get timing problems between the outputs.

Edit: The driver may be better under linux - perhaps offering simultaneous output on out 1&2 and 3&4 - I have not tried to confirm this. But you'd still need to use software for volume control, which was a deal breaker for me (I wanted to use the hardware volume dial). I use my M4 with Genelec 8020d's, so I just got the sub with internal crossovers in the end.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Furthermore, under windows, the driver always serves up out 1&2 and out 3&4 as two seperate stereo outputs.
That goes for the UltraLite mk5 as well, according to a fairly recent thread. Perhaps this is the case for all MOTU audio interfaces.

But if his software can use ASIO it might not be an issue, assuming he uses Windows.

lkanies

Forum Donor
I have an M2 that I've been using for a year or so with no problems, but I recently started using it with a shotgun mic connected and now when I'm on a video call the person I'm talking to can't hear me if they're also talking.

I used a USB shotgun mic for a while, but other users found it too confusing to switch between that and the M2. So I bought an XLR shotgun mic, so everyone can just use the knobs on the M2.

However, when I use the XLR mic, it's kind of half duplex -- that is, we can always hear the other person talking, but if we both talk at once, they can't hear us. It seems like the M2 is cutting out the mc input if there's any output. I can still see the input on the line in monitor, but it's not making it to the apps somehow.

If I switch to another mic -- whether the USB shotgun mic or the crappy mic on my video camera -- then it works as expected: We can talk over each other and still hear each other.

Thus, I am assuming that the M2 is the problem.

Anyone have any idea if I'm right, and either way, if there's anything I can do to fix it?

I'm running into this problem in zoom on an m1 mac, fwiw.

Thanks!

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have an M2 that I've been using for a year or so with no problems, but I recently started using it with a shotgun mic connected and now when I'm on a video call the person I'm talking to can't hear me if they're also talking.

I used a USB shotgun mic for a while, but other users found it too confusing to switch between that and the M2. So I bought an XLR shotgun mic, so everyone can just use the knobs on the M2.

However, when I use the XLR mic, it's kind of half duplex -- that is, we can always hear the other person talking, but if we both talk at once, they can't hear us. It seems like the M2 is cutting out the mc input if there's any output. I can still see the input on the line in monitor, but it's not making it to the apps somehow.

If I switch to another mic -- whether the USB shotgun mic or the crappy mic on my video camera -- then it works as expected: We can talk over each other and still hear each other.

Thus, I am assuming that the M2 is the problem.

Anyone have any idea if I'm right, and either way, if there's anything I can do to fix it?

I'm running into this problem in zoom on an m1 mac, fwiw.

Thanks!
It sounds as though it's not an issue with the M2, but rather your/the other party's Zoom audio settings

lkanies

Forum Donor
I compared using the m2-attached mic to both the built in mic in my video camera and also a usb shotgun mic, and neither had the half duplex problem (while on the same call with the same person).

So I am confident it is not zoom, and is not the person.

it’s either the m2, the xlr mic (a rode xlr shotgun mic), or something in the processing pipeline between the mic and zoom. At least, that’s what it seems to me. Happy to be wrong, but afaict, that’s what my testing shows.

mrbungle

Never had an issues with a similar setup (M2 and Sennheiser MKH 416, Intel and M2 Macs), so just guessing here. Zoom gives you a couple of audio options, like turning off all processing (Original Audio). I would start there If you haven’t. You can also reach out to the Motu support. Does it happen with headphones and/or speakers?

Last edited:

Urushi

Would this be good to power a pair of HD800s? I kind of just want one device on my desk for my mic, headphone amp, and dac?

Top Bottom