• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

combining 2 audio source win and mac to a single monitor speaker?

Hi all, i am not so sure how to setup this. Previously, i did brought an xlr mic and this leads me to get an audio interface scarlet solo 3rd gen. After that i brought a studio monitor presonus eris 8xt (2 of them). My current setup is on macbook m2 now and i would like to add my windows machine into sharing the studio monitor instead of replugging them every single time.

i notice that my scarlet solo will not be able to help in this case. The LINE IN infront of the solo is only mono if not mistake (please bare with me since i am new to this audio stuff).

i need some advice in how to setup both machine to share/use one pair of the studio monitor i am having now. I was thinking a mixer can help but i still prefer some audio interfaces because no need to plug in extra power cord.

since if am changing my scarlet solo, i was looking at motu m2, but i am not sure if the front xlr combo jack can plug in a trs line in cable that converts from a stereo 3.5mm from my pc audio port which is from the motherboard itself.

Zek

Major Contributor
What do you actually want to connect?
There are 3 connectors on the speakers and you can connect up to 3 different devices.
ERIS%20E8XT%20rear.jpg

OP
I
What do you actually want to connect?
There are 3 connectors on the speakers and you can connect up to 3 different devices.
ERIS%20E8XT%20rear.jpg
i am using the XLR port now, does this means that behind my speaker can use the TRS at the same time as using the XLR port as well? directly from 3.5mm and split to 2x TRS input?

Zek

Major Contributor
You can use a 3.5mm to 2 RCA cable as well.

OP
I
You can use a 3.5mm to 2 RCA cable as well.
I am having some issue for the cable in this case. The reason is because my speakers are quite far apart each other. for them to route to my pc which is somewhere near 1 of the speaker but the other 1is abit further possible 1meter apart each other

sam_adams

Major Contributor
Moving up to 4i4, how do i connect my windows pc to it? also, my local having abit cheaper sale on 4i4 gen 3, not sure is that good enough rather than getting the 4th gen

The 4i4 has four inputs and four outputs. You would use the front inputs for one device and the rear inputs for another. The other Focusrite-based option is the 8i6 which has two sets of line inputs on the back. This allows you to use the front inputs for mic/instrument.

OP
I
The 4i4 has four inputs and four outputs. You would use the front inputs for one device and the rear inputs for another. The other Focusrite-based option is the 8i6 which has two sets of line inputs on the back. This allows you to use the front inputs for mic/instrument.
i think when u are referring the front inputs, is the one with XLR combo jack right? can.i just use the 3.5mm stereo to TRS and plug in there?

sam_adams

Major Contributor
i think when u are referring the front inputs, is the one with XLR combo jack right? can.i just use the 3.5mm stereo to TRS and plug in there?

Yes, although the Instrument inputs on the front are designed for high impedance devices like a guitar. The other issue with using them is cable clutter. Much neater if everything line-related goes in the back and off the desk.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
i need some advice in how to setup both machine to share/use one pair of the studio monitor i am having now. I was thinking a mixer can help but i still prefer some audio interfaces because no need to plug in extra power cord.
From an ease of use perspective, a mixer still beats running one of the computers through some spare audio interface inputs, though that can no doubt be made to work as well (depending on the routing options available). I imagine even a basic, inexpensive unit like a Mackie Mix5 would do.

I am puzzled as to why an extra power cable would be a problem for you. That's what power strips under the desk or behind the monitor are for.

OP
I
From an ease of use perspective, a mixer still beats running one of the computers through some spare audio interface inputs, though that can no doubt be made to work as well (depending on the routing options available). I imagine even a basic, inexpensive unit like a Mackie Mix5 would do.

I am puzzled as to why an extra power cable would be a problem for you. That's what power strips under the desk or behind the monitor are for.
old design house have very lesser wall socket and adding one is out of question as i am renting them but generally more cable dangling is not nice for me to see haha. is my own personally problem.

if using mackie mix5, which means i am not going to use the mic output from that device right? since it has no usb and i think the preamp is quite similar to scarlet solo 3rd gen?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Would a USB switch do the job? Equivalent to replugging at the touch of a button.

Top Bottom