• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MOTU 8A stuck in firmware mode, need replacing

aVancouver

My MOTU 8A was in repair to fix the USB input to the unit and the repairman did something and the unit will not come out of firmware mode. The repair shop has offer to replace it but I really loved my MOTU 8A and there's no one with any stock because of the shortage of chips. MOTU might not stock them again until 6 months from now. I am not sure what to replace it with, I one like a rack mounted unit. I don't need a lot of inputs and outputs, but really don't want a lot of knobs, button or effects in the unit. I use it with the 500 series from Radial. I am looking for suggestion and feedback as I need to choose a audio interface that can work with my assisting gear.

MacBook Pro M1 Max
Radial Six Pack 500 series loaded (eq, compression)
Logic Pro
Composer, Sound Design, Bassist, Artist

Need simple reasonable solution

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Firmware mode probably means the micro/DSP can't talk to the flash ROM, and that in turn usually means the latter is missing its main supply voltage. Perhaps that or the one it's derived from has a short on it or something. I guess the shop guy felt he was in over his head, perhaps due to unfamiliarity with this symptom. (Looks like the flash is a BGA, forget about probing on that.) I'd say stop panicking and try again with some methodical fault-finding, or return unit to customer to find another shop.

So MOTU don't stock any spares for these? I would think that the fault would be localized to the control side, not the converter / analog board with the stuff that I would assume to be most heavily affected by chip availability problems. The fault is likely to be on the main control / DSP board, left-hand side as seen here:
index.php

OP
A

aVancouver

Firmware mode probably means the micro/DSP can't talk to the flash ROM, and that in turn usually means the latter is missing its main supply voltage. Perhaps that or the one it's derived from has a short on it or something. I guess the shop guy felt he was in over his head, perhaps due to unfamiliarity with this symptom. (Looks like the flash is a BGA, forget about probing on that.) I'd say stop panicking and try again with some methodical fault-finding, or return unit to customer to find another shop.

So MOTU don't stock any spares for these? I would think that the fault would be localized to the control side, not the converter / analog board with the stuff that I would assume to be most heavily affected by chip availability problems. The fault is likely to be on the main control / DSP board, left-hand side as seen here:
index.php

So, are you saying that I don't need a new circuit board and with the right experienced and skilled repair person my problem can be easily fixed?

Top Bottom