• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC and Streamer Review

Here2Learn

Mola are introducing a ‘streaming’ module for the Makua, preamp, DAC, phono stage and ROON all in one box.
What else can do all that?
Keith

A DEQX unit, which has a whole lot more. Some Myteks are also preamps, DACs and phone stage with optional Roon streaming, such as the Manhattan II. The Moolah Moolah certainly isn't alone in its feature set Keith.

Here2Learn

Color me surprised (I seemed to have noticed after scrolling around and seeing internal pics, proper isolation of parts seems to play a very important role in performance).

IMG_7424.jpg

If I press the bit on top, does the neighbours house go boom? Or should I be vaping from this thing?

Todesengel

@amirm could we please get a measurement of input latency? I think this would be beneficial to add to the suite of standard tests for those of us who watch videos so we know which DACs will cause lip sync issues.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm could we please get a measurement of input latency? I think this would be beneficial to add to the suite of standard tests for those of us who watch videos so we know which DACs will cause lip sync issues.
It is not easy to measure that but let me think about a scheme I have in mind....

MRC01

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Mola Mola Tambaqui USB DAC and Ethernet streamer. ...
It's really interesting to see a bespoke built boutique DAC like this show such great performance. It shows that high end audio isn't entirely BS.
Does it have user-selectable AA filter choices?
Since it has a volume control, I'm curious what its 50 mV SINAD is. How much does SNR drop as you turn down the volume to typical listening levels?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sigh ... I am still waiting for someone with excellent hearing to enter this thread and say something like:

It measures near perfect so it must sound boring and lifeless... this or that tube based, (name R2R chip/method) filter-less sounds way more musical.

AustinsGuitar

Very impressive unit. Anyone with enough money for the thing won't be disappointed. Basically as perfect as it gets for a dac. This is to the point where you would be unable as a human to hear any noise or any inconsistancies in dynamic range. :) now if only it was 300 dollars. hehe

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’m sure Bruno et. al could make a Value For Money product, retailing for 3 figures, or even 2 figures for the ASR bargain hunters. With only a few compromises.

But the problem with the audiophile mob is their old fashioned views- that nothing cheap could be any good. “You get what you pay for” sigh

Mola Mola takes aim at the audiophile crowd and says here- we can compete with the best and cost a fraction as much (eg. dCS, EMM Labs, MSB etc)

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here it is for S/PDIF:

Mola Mola Tambaqui USB DAC Streamer Headphone Amplifier Latency Audio Measurements.png

I don't trust the USB measurements yet but they appear to be twice as long at around 100 milliseconds.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here are headphone measurements. It was a pain to do because by default headphone out is disabled and there is no way to enable it via the remote or the front panel! Had to download the app to do it. Get rid of the bloody fish logo and use the space to implement a proper UI to control the entire set for heaven's sake. :(

Power into 300 Ohm load:
Mola Mola Tambaqui USB DAC Streamer Headphone Amplifier 300 Ohm Audio Measurements.png

Extremely low noise and distortion but limited by the maximum 2.7 volt output.

Similar story at 33 ohm:
Mola Mola Tambaqui USB DAC Streamer Headphone Amplifier 33 Ohm Audio Measurements.png

So not powerful but very clean.

Signal to noise ratio at 50 millivolts is good but not top of the class:
Mola Mola Tambaqui Ethernet DAC Streamer Headphone Amplifier 50 mv Audio Measurements.png

Lowest noise headphone amplifier review.png

Output impedance is comfortably low:

Lowest headphone output impedance 2002.png

That's it. She is going back in the box so I can review the mountain of gear waiting!

Top Bottom