• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniPC for music streaming with TEAC UD-505 DAC

vizalerd

I am trying to get into "good-sounding" world, but need help with choosing streaming server for my DAC (TEAC UD-505). I will not use laptop, I don't really want to build pc right now (but will later, if necessary), so I thought about buying mini pc. I'm thinking MeLE Fanless Mini PC Quieter3Q withN5105 CPU and 8gb RAM. Is it good enough to stream high quality music? https://store.mele.cn/products/mele...hernet-port-vesa-mount?variant=41899440144562

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am trying to get into "good-sounding" world, but need help with choosing streaming server for my DAC (TEAC UD-505). I will not use laptop, I don't really want to build pc right now (but will later, if necessary), so I thought about buying mini pc. I'm thinking MeLE Fanless Mini PC Quieter3Q withN5105 CPU and 8gb RAM. Is it good enough to stream high quality music? https://store.mele.cn/products/mele...hernet-port-vesa-mount?variant=41899440144562
A Raspberry Pi 3 will already be as good as it gets from sound perspective. So will anything else which is even faster.

Streamers (unless broken) don’t influence sound, simply speaking. So pick what suits your needs and budget.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could go used for a lot cheaper than $290, eBay is full of cool little boxes that are native Win10 or will happily run a modern Linux - you could even get a Mac for less than that and none of them would change the sound at all. If it's just a dedicated streamer then anything over a Core2D will work fine, get something better if you plan to roll video too.

Pick your favorite flavor of OS and app to serve your tunes to the Teac and good to go.

That MeLE is kinda cute though.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If Windows is your preferred OS, I can recommend the Beelink AP34 which is also available second hand now. Small metal form-factor used for fanless passive cooling...

Digby

Major Contributor
If I was you, I would get the cheapest and lowest power consumption device that will do what you need (does it only need to stream music?), given the way electricity prices are going. Raspberry Pi would be fine. If you want to run it 24/7 I'd suggest something with very low power draw, 2 or 3 watts would be great.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Seconding the suggestion of a Raspberry Pi Model 3. Everrything else is overkill.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Depends on what your usage scenario is and what OS you would prefer to use. I am using my Beelink AP34 PC as a renderer via Foobar2000 and a server for both movies and music via Plex and Minimserver respectively. It is also my day to day computer. I don't leave it on 24/7 but could as it uses less than 3.5 W idle. Given that it cost me £56 second hand it is not a bad option, and on a par with the Pi as an efficient, low cost option... if you prefer to use Windows...

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
Depends on what your usage scenario is and what OS you would prefer to use. I am using my Beelink AP34 PC as a renderer via Foobar2000 and a server for both movies and music via Plex and Minimserver respectively. It is also my day to day computer. I don't leave it on 24/7 but could as it uses less than 3.5 W idle. Given that it cost me £56 second hand it is not a bad option, and on a par with the Pi as an efficient, low cost option... if you prefer to use Windows...
Does it run Windows well? Maybe you aren't a heavy user, but the processor seems about equivalent to a 2007 Intel quad core, some might find that a bit slow under Windows 10.

OP, why not use your laptop? It has the power to do what you want, and probably idles at something like 6 or 7 watts, unless someone will need music streaming when you are away with the laptop.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Yes, it runs perfectly fine for my usage. I don't play games on it but it does everything I need. Run MathAudio RoomEQ DSP with Foobar2000 and the previously mentioned server functions. Plus the usual desktop stuff. Anyway, I think that you will find that there is always a compromise to be made here. Too fast/powerful a processor and you will need forced cooling via a fan which is undesirable for audio. Too slow and your programs won't run smoothly. For me a Pi just is not flexible enough and I don't want to use Linux... or anything with a fan.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Yes, very similar to the Beelinks. I have bought several second hand cheaply, so I can clone the original for ease of setup, backups, and multiple end-points with RoomEQ

Last edited:

Digby

Major Contributor
Too fast/powerful a processor and you will need forced cooling via a fan which is undesirable for audio.
I would agree, if we were talking say 15 years ago, but now it is possible (with a relatively low tdp CPU) to use a stock AMD heatsink with a fan running around 900rpm and not hear it in a completely silent room from 50cm away. It is also far easier to set your own fan curves these days. I'm really fussy about stuff like this, even running 2.5" hdds for lower rotational noise.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Absolutely... For me, the power usage/efficiency is very important too though. I want just enough power to do what I want but need to keep the bills and heat down!

Digby

Major Contributor
Fair point. My idle is about 16-20 watts with 2 x 2.5" hdds attached, and a couple of USB hubs, so I assume about 10-14 watts idle from mini PC alone. How much is your electricity tariff? I have this at £20 difference over the year in the UK, if used 16 hours a day, compared to 4 watts idle.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Tbh I have not even got a smart meter yet! For some reason my previous energy supplier said they couldn't give me one.. and the fact that they need to be changed with your supplier if you switch means I may skip that anyway. Like you, I have a couple of USB hubs connected. Over 20TB of music now: On 3 USB hardrives and one in a NAS. The NAS is on 24/7 and used for newest music and the other USB drives are only switched on when used. Should add that the main Beelink that has server duties, has 6GB RAM. The other two, which are cloned and used as backups/endpoints only, are the 4GB version.

Top Bottom