• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

holbob

Hello Gorgonzola,
and in this way I would still have the two XLR outputs of my Dac, where do I plug the subwoofers? I need two outputs and a calibrated subwoofer, or two subwoofers since I have one on each side and I could make
speaker L + subwoofer L and speaker R + subwoofer R

I'm just afraid of losing the quality of the Dac D90SE
With the digital flex, you'll need two dac's, and control volume from the flex.

With the analogue flex, you would sell the topping and have a massive upgrade.

supersergios

With the digital flex, you'll need two dac's, and control volume from the flex.
I don't like the idea of more gadgets

With the analogue flex, you would sell the topping and have a massive upgrade.
but even gaining the good of Dirac I will lose the great of Dac ToopingD90SE, I don't like this at all

622D3DEE-5493-4FC7-8661-F1A88C11647A.jpeg

Sources to make this graph:

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't like the idea of more gadgets

but even gaining the good of Dirac I will lose the great of Dac ToopingD90SE, I don't like this at all
View attachment 188618

The difference between the Dac of the Flex and that of the topping is inaudible - both are essentially transparent. The benefit of the flex with Dirac is huge.

Having said that - that is your choice. Digital flex with two DACs on the output, or ditch the D90 and use the flex as DAC. If you use the analogue input of the flex, you lose even another 7 to 10dB of Sinad (Lower than the flex just as DAC), and it makes absolutely no sense.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So then when why buy the damn thing? There is a really simple solution: just wait for the digital version, and buy another cheap DAC for the subwoofer.

supersergios

…see graph photo in previous message
I have had the Topping D90 and I have changed it for the D90ES: I have gained a lot: more detailed high zone, clearer and more precise mids, more controlled and dry bass. I don't want to lose that. And I don't know if using my Dac D90SE first, then entering the Flex through analog and exiting again through analog (xlr) to the stages and subwoofers, I don't know if I will lose the good of the D90SE.

Because I think Flex has to go digital again to do the Dirac calibration, and then go back to analog and for this step it will use its own simpler internal Dac, so I don't know if there will be loss

supersergios

The difference between the Dac of the Flex and that of the topping is inaudible - both are essentially transparent. The benefit of the flex with Dirac is huge.

Having said that - that is your choice. Digital flex with two DACs on the output, or ditch the D90 and use the flex as DAC. If you use the analogue input of the flex, you lose even another 7 to 10dB of Sinad (Lower than the flex just as DAC), and it makes absolutely no sense.
this answers my questions , wow , thanks

supersergios

So then when why buy the damn thing? There is a really simple solution: just wait for the digital version, and buy another cheap DAC for the subwoofer.
I think this will be the perfect solution to continue using the Topping D90SE and continue to be at the top of the Dacs list.

We already have a plan!

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Gorgonzola,
and in this way I would still have the two XLR outputs of my Dac, where do I plug the subwoofers? I need two outputs and a calibrated subwoofer, or two subwoofers since I have one on each side and I could make
speaker L + subwoofer L and speaker R + subwoofer R

I'm just afraid of losing the quality of the Dac D90SE
Again, I'm assuming the all-digital version of Flex. As I see it there are perhaps two options for your subwoofers depending on the digital outputs of the all-digital Flex.

First and simplest is to drive you subwoofers from the RCA outputs of your D90SE, (while driving your main speakers amp with the XLR outputs).

Second, assuming the all-digital Flex has two digital outputs, (I can't confirm that at the moment), would be to used one output to drive your Topping and hence your main amp, and the second to drive second DAC that would drive your subwoofers. This arrangement would be beneficial primarily, I'd say, by letting the Flex control the main/subwoofer crossover (vs. relying on the subwoofers' built-in crossovers). However the complication is that the Topping and second DAC are likely to have slightly different latencies, (i.e. one slightly delay with respect to the other); possibly the Flex provides for latency corrections but I can't say that for certain.

RHO

Major Contributor
Again, I'm assuming the all-digital version of Flex. As I see it there are perhaps two options for your subwoofers depending on the digital outputs of the all-digital Flex.

First and simplest is to drive you subwoofers from the RCA outputs of your D90SE, (while driving your main speakers amp with the XLR outputs).

Second, assuming the all-digital Flex has two digital outputs, (I can't confirm that at the moment), would be to used one output to drive your Topping and hence your main amp, and the second to drive second DAC that would drive your subwoofers. This arrangement would be beneficial primarily, I'd say, by letting the Flex control the main/subwoofer crossover (vs. relying on the subwoofers' built-in crossovers). However the complication is that the Topping and second DAC are likely to have slightly different latencies, (i.e. one slightly delay with respect to the other); possibly the Flex provides for latency corrections but I can't say that for certain.
If you look at the specifications and in the manual for the Flex you'll see that the digital version has 2 digital outputs which carry 2 channels each.
From the specs:
4 x Output channels
(Post DSP)on USB Audio and
SPDIF& TOSLINK (duplicated)
From the manual:
Digital outputs. Connect to a DAC, a home theater receiver, or active speakers with digital input. Each digital connection carries two output channels – output channels 1 and 2, or output channels 3 and 4. The TOSLINK and SPDIF outputs for each pair of channels carry the same signal and are both active at the same time. The sample rate on the digital outputs is 96 kHz if using the miniDSP-2x4-HD plugin (without Dirac Live) and 48 kHz if using the DDRC-24 plugin (with Dirac Live).

supersergios

We will have to wait for the final version.

Anyway, my Subwoofers have to enter the signal through XLR, (I can't use RCA that is already occupied by the AVR cables), And I can't use the rear Crossover either, since I have to leave it fully open so that the AVR (home cinema) decides, that is to say that for music it has to be by XLR and that it arrives with the corresponding hertz for each moment, regulated by Dirac. The current Flex model is the perfect machine for what I need, but aside from my terrific D90SE Dac, and I wouldn't want to take a step back. From the normal Topping D90 to this Topping D90SE I have noticed a big improvement, and the Flex Dac is even further down the list. I would not.

Let's wait then to see what the digital Flex model finally comes out, do you know when the presentation will be and when it can be purchased? greetings and thanks for the interest.

Thank you all for the interest,

supersergios

If you look at the specifications and in the manual for the Flex you'll see that the digital version has 2 digital outputs which carry 2 channels each.
From the specs:

From the manual:
Okay, friend Rho confirms that it will have two digital outputs so I can do it if I get another Dac, which cheap Dac will have the same latency as my D90SE? because another one is very expensive. Thank you

supersergios

…can you put a Link to the digital Flex model?
It's that from my country I can't find anything and I don't get that model,
thanks

And we have an approximate price (and date for shopping?)

RHO

Major Contributor
…can you put a Link to the digital Flex model?
It's that from my country I can't find anything and I don't get that model,
thanks

And we have an approximate price (and date for shopping?)
There's no specific page for the Flex digital. The info is in the general manual for the Flex and in the specifications tab on the Flex product page or the data sheet.

Personally, I'm considering the E50 from Topping as a DAC.

Rafaille

Okay, friend Rho confirms that it will have two digital outputs so I can do it if I get another Dac, which cheap Dac will have the same latency as my D90SE? because another one is very expensive. Thank you
Latency is not really a concern as the Flex will get everything in sync.
If you need a balanced DAC (you mentioned that had to use XLR inputs on your sub), for best value I would go for a Topping D10b. If you want a more compact form factor the SMSL M300 would be a good option too, but twice the price.

Or, as I plan to do myself, this is a good opportunity to insert a DAC/headphone amp in the chain, like a Topping EX5 for example. If you go this route, you just need to set a 'headphones' preset (no xover, no dirac, possibly even some EQ tailored for your headphones) on the Flex and switch to it when you plug your headphones in. Smooth transition when kids/wife go to bed without having to rewire all your cables.

RHO

Major Contributor
Latency is not really a concern as the Flex will get everything in sync.
If you need a balanced DAC (you mentioned that had to use XLR inputs on your sub), for best value I would go for a Topping D10b. If you want a more compact form factor the SMSL M300 would be a good option too, but twice the price.

Or, as I plan to do myself, this is a good opportunity to insert a DAC/headphone amp in the chain, like a Topping EX5 for example. If you go this route, you just need to set a 'headphones' preset (no xover, no dirac, possibly even some EQ tailored for your headphones) on the Flex and switch to it when you plug your headphones in. Smooth transition when kids/wife go to bed without having to rewire all your cables.
The D10b has no SPDIF input, only USB.

Top Bottom