• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes. The integrated doesn't have a sub out either. This is how it would work (but I don't know if i can do room correction then)

As I said above, for optimal subwoofer integration you should not use an integrated amplifier. You can't independently process the signals sent to your main speakers and sub if you do (specifically you can't apply crossover filters and time delays).

Rafaille

As I said above, for optimal subwoofer integration you should not use an integrated amplifier. You can't independently process the signals sent to your main speakers and sub if you do (specifically you can't apply crossover filters and time delays).

Can't he just use the integrated as a power amp? Analogue in analogue out, no crossover, max volume... What would be the issue then?

Ultrasonic

Can't he just use the integrated as a power amp? Analogue in analogue out, no crossover, max volume... What would be the issue then?

That it's pointless when they already own a power amp, and buying a replacement integrated would be wasting money on unnecessary capabilities. If they wanted a better power amp then that would be what to buy, not an integrated amp.

It is also possible for someone to use an integrated amp with the amp's volume control adjusting the final listening level, but not without losing the subwoofer integration capability I have mentioned.

Rafaille

That it's pointless when they already own a power amp, and buying a replacement integrated would be wasting money on unnecessary capabilities. If they wanted a better power amp then that would be what to buy, not an integrated amp.

It is also possible for someone to use an integrated amp with the amp's volume control adjusting the final listening level, but not without losing the subwoofer integration capability I have mentioned.
Oh yes definitely pointless but I thought he already owned the integrated. Don't you Megaken?

Ultrasonic

Oh yes definitely pointless but I thought he already owned the integrated. Don't you Megaken?

I was going by this post:

Megaken

I was going by this post:

Nope. I was asking to hear the answers to better understand how it works. I have a learning disability and for whatever reason these hypotheticals help me understand the big picture better. For which - thank you guys!

I do have an entry level emotiva 2ch power amp, and am somewhat concerned about its performance. On the other hand, I'm currently using it to amp a receiver, and it makes no difference in how it sounds (with vs without the amp), which I'm guessing is actually a good thing.

Megaken

ok, is this how it would be connected?

flex diagram.jpg

or what is the best way to connect to a single sub if this is my sub?

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 11.05.13 AM.png

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thx. So sub is treated as a single channel even though it has left and right inputs on the sub itself?
And I'm using regular RCA cables for this, not coax cables (for outputs)?
Yes and yes.
If your room needs it, or you feel like it, you can later add a second sub. Here are the application notes from MiniDSP that match your scenario:

Stevienew

You can use out 1 & 2 for your speakers too! In the routing matrix you have to define which channel gets which signal. Check the user manual, it describes exactly how to proceed.

Megaken

Yes and yes.
If your room needs it, or you feel like it, you can later add a second sub. Here are the application notes from MiniDSP that match your scenario:
This guide mentions "You will need a measurement program such as the freeware Room EQ Wizard (REW)" - do REW and Dirac live do the same thing but one is proprietary, or do I need both and they complement each other?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This guide mentions "You will need a measurement program such as the freeware Room EQ Wizard (REW)" - do REW and Dirac live do the same thing but one is proprietary, or do I need both and they complement each other?
To measure how your speakers sound in the room, you need a measurement microphone (for example the MiniDSP UMIK1) and REW.

Say you measure +6dB at 100Hz and -3dB at 2kHz in your room, at your listening spot. With that information you can configure the Flex to bend the signal to -6dB at 100Hz and +3dB at 2kHz.

You can just do it by ear, but that doesn't get you the full potential.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roughly it works like this:

The microphone is calibrated against a reference during manufacture.
You install REW on a laptop.
You download the calibration file for your UMIK amd load it into REW.
You connect the microphone via it's USB connection to the laptop and thus REW.
You connect the laptop to your amp.
REW will play sweeping sounds and record the response from the microphone.

Et voila, you have a calibrated measurement.

I think we have a guide for that made by Amir somewhere.

EDIT: There:

Stevienew

when the integration of the sub is finished, you start DIRAC to improve the whole system.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Wait so where does the Dirac live come in?
REW is a powerful measurement/analyzation tool, and it can also generate EQ filters based on its measurements that you can then use in various apps and devices. REW has many uses beyond generating EQ settings and measuring, but that's the part we are talking about, so...

You can use REW to measure your room response, and then either use its auto-generated EQ filters, or create your own. You put these filters into the miniDSP or whatever your EQ tool is. Then you measure again with REW to confirm how well the EQ works, and then you tweak your EQ some more, and you repeat that process until you are happy. There are several guides on how to do this. You do not need Dirac to do REW and EQ, but you can layer Dirac on top if you want. Note: I did EQ first and got the identical Dirac result as not using any of my own EQ, and found my own EQ efforts to be a waste of time.

Dirac is a mostly automated room correction software that walks you thru room measurements and then does an automated correction with more than just EQ. It does not integrate with REW, but you can use REW to measure before and after and see how it did, and also maybe make further tweaks in Dirac using REW to confirm if you want. You do not need to do any EQ filters on your own with Dirac, but you can.

In my opinion, EQing on my own took WAY more time and knowledge than Dirac, and I was not able to get nearly as good of a result on my own as I was with Dirac. I think the $200 is totally worth it, but your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Megaken

REW is a powerful measurement/analyzation tool, and it can also generate EQ filters based on its measurements that you can then use in various apps and devices. REW has many uses beyond generating EQ settings and measuring, but that's the part we are talking about, so...

You can use REW to measure your room response, and then either use its auto-generated EQ filters, or create your own. You put these filters into the miniDSP or whatever your EQ tool is. Then you measure again with REW to confirm how well the EQ works, and then you tweak your EQ some more, and you repeat that process until you are happy. There are several guides on how to do this. You do not need Dirac to do REW and EQ, but you can layer Dirac on top if you want (I did this and got the identical Dirac result as not using any of my own EQ, and found my own EQ efforts to be a waste of time).

Dirac is a mostly automated room correction software that walks you thru room measurements and then does an automated correction with more than just EQ. It does not integrate with REW, but you can use REW to measure before and after and see how it did, and also maybe make further tweaks in Dirac using REW to confirm if you want. You do not need to do any EQ filters on your own with Dirac, but you can.

In my opinion, EQing on my own took WAY more time and knowledge than Dirac, and I was not able to get nearly as good of a result on my own as I was with Dirac. I think the $200 is totally worth it, but your mileage may vary.

ok this is what I wanted to understand. Thank you.

Jon wise

Pity, I was hoping that I could just use the flex with my smsl AO200 and have sub integration. Is it still possible by turning the integrated amps volume up and using the flex as a preamp?

Top Bottom