• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP Flex HTx

HTnooB

eARC is an audio back channel from the TV, or from an appropriate devece between a source of HDMI audio and an A/V sync, like a TV. The HDFury devices offered perform the conversion you need, but there may be cheaper ones.
Yes offcourse, I also do need video out for my projector too
Thanks!

danstahl

eARC is an audio back channel from the TV, or from an appropriate devece between a source of HDMI audio and an A/V sync, like a TV. The HDFury devices offered perform the conversion you need, but there may be cheaper ones.
This Orei is the cheapest one I can find: https://www.orei.com/products/4k-hdmi-audio-extractor-switch-with-earc-and-edid-management-hda-934. Another Orei was bit-perfect on digital output, so my guess is this is transparent as well. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ei-hda-939-hdmi-audio-extractor-review.42948/

kadajawi

eARC is an audio back channel from the TV, or from an appropriate device between a source of HDMI audio and an A/V sync, like a TV. The HDFury devices offered perform the conversion you need, but there may be cheaper ones.
Watch out though. HDFury (as well as the other devices) only extract whatever there is in the stream, they do not do any conversion. If your source won't send out 5.1 / 7.1 PCM, then these devices won't help you. And the only reason why you'd need one of these devices is if your TV does not support eARC but only ARC.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor

kadajawi

There is nowhere mention that this device does bitstream decoding and conversion to PCM.
It seems it just carries whatever it receives.
Yes, I'm not aware of any device that decodes the bitstream. Not even the HDFury devices...

rhollan

There is nowhere mention that this device does bitstream decoding and conversion to PCM.
It seems it just carries whatever it receives.
Yes, that is a separate issue. These concentrate on getting audio, either from an HDMI audio source, or an ARC/eARC back channel, to an ARC/eARC sink.

I have an HDFury Diva which performs similarly to the Vroom, but gets audio from an HDMI audio source, or an ARC/eARC back channel, to an HDMI audio sink, rather the OPPOSITE of the Vroom (which, IIRC, can do this too, being an upgrade over the Diva).

Now, LPCM audio should not be a problem, as all (well, at least almost all) blueray players can be configured to output it (I think it is a requirement, actually). The player does the decoding (which would otherwise be done in an AVR). If you are fortunate to have an Oppo 10x or 20x player, it has an HDMI INPUT, from which it can decode audio.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Did the low's filter's fix applied to this one?

IamJF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With 8 channels? 5.1.2 would be possible but most people would need more as 8 channels for Atmos.
Implementing the decoding algorithms and make it user friendly is a complete different thing as a speaker controller! There are so many different standards and interpretations of it ... you can buy a storm audio for that.

On the other side ... getting an AV preamp with analog and digital outputs, basic decoding and Dirac for 4000,- from MiniDSP ... that would be really cool! Add Dirac ART and it's a day 1 purchase.

rhollan

With 8 channels? 5.1.2 would be possible but most people would need more as 8 channels for Atmos.
Implementing the decoding algorithms and make it user friendly is a complete different thing as a speaker controller! There are so many different standards and interpretations of it ... you can buy a storm audio for that.

On the other side ... getting an AV preamp with analog and digital outputs, basic decoding and Dirac for 4000,- from MiniDSP ... that would be really cool! Add Dirac ART and it's a day 1 purchase.
There are plenty of A/V processors that do ATMOS... and then have poor quality D/A sections. It's why I do what I do.

IamJF

It would be SO cool to have a 16 channel DSP +AV platform from MiniDSP! Put it in a nice 2-3HE housing with a master volume knob and a nice display.
The basic version only does digital inputs and outputs - this should add very little cost. Then you can add (very) high quality analog inputs and outputs in groups of 8. You can buy the ATMOS decoding module. And Dirac ART.

I could use such a unit in most projects.
Modern studio monitors use digital inputs (Genelec, Neumann, ...), Hypex active moduls have digital inputs. It's perfect to do the long cable runs in an AV environment. But preamps with digital output are crazy expensive. Or do active 3 ways in the front of a cinema and 2 sub arrays ... and still channels free to EQ the rears.
Make the basic price 2000,- (should be possible, double of this unit but no analog outputs) and up to 4000,- fully equiped - would be a BARGAIN in the AV sector.

IamJF

There are plenty of A/V processors that do ATMOS... and then have poor quality D/A sections. It's why I do what I do.
What device is decoding in your setup? What would you do for an ATMOS setup?

rhollan

What device is decoding in your setup? What would you do for an ATMOS setup?
I would likely use the Arvus in an ATMOS setup.

Right now, I decode to 7.1 PCM in the blue ray player. Convert the Audio HDMI to SDI, deembed 4x2ch AES3 audio, run it through a DDRC-88D Dirac Live processor, reembed to SDI, convert back to HDMI, run it into an Oppo-205 used as a DAC, and to amps.

The first blu ray player, and a streaming PC go into an HDFury Diva, and the audio, or eARC audio from the TV gets routed to an audio HDMI output (and HDCP stripped by the Diva) into the HDMI to SDI converter.

All very Rube Goldberg, but it works.

The Lucid 8ch AD/DA serves only as a level display. With the Apollon amps, and Oppo 205 as a DAC, I get about 100 dB SINAD to the speakers, which are BG Radia 2x520i, 4x420i, 1x220i, and dual Rythmik Audio subs.

If the sinad figures on the minidsp Flex HTx are good, it would replace much of the equipment. 20220724_152820.jpg20220724_144016.jpg20220724_152820.jpg20220724_144016.jpg20220724_152251.jpg20220724_152246.jpg

Last edited:

kadajawi

Are you sure about the Essence? If I'm not mistaken, it can't decode any format like AC3 or DTS at all, it's a DAC to convert LPCM to analog. Exactly like the MiniDSP Flex HT, just without the DSP. The Arvus page also doesn't quite sound like it is able to convert a bitstream to 7.1 LPCM and output it via HDMI. They don't mention such functionality.

rhollan

Maybe the Essense does not -- I've only ever used it for LPCM (though I swear it was advertised as being able to), but the Arvus certainly does.

danstahl

I've been (over)thinking how I'd hook this up. Most devices that have an eArc input only have one HDMI output, and I need to send a signal to two monitors. I also don't love using a small dongle as an HDMI switch as I'd prefer something more stable and preferably rack-mountable to hook my inputs and monitors to.
My thought is I could use a matrix splitter like https://www.amazon.com/MT-VIKI-Matr...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A3R2WRS5QNVSPP&th=1 as well as an eArc extractor like https://www.orei.com/products/4k-hdmi-audio-extractor-switch-with-earc-and-edid-management-hda-934. Inputs 1-3 on the matrix splitter would be for blu-ray players, game consoles, etc. Output 1 on the matrix splitter would go to the input on the eArc extractor. eArc input would go to the Minidsp HDMI. Output on the eArc extractor would go to input 4 on the matrix splitter. Output 2 and 3 on the matrix splitter would go to my monitors.

I think this would work. The matrix splitter never needs to pass eArc. My biggest concern would be around EDID management; I'm not sure how mixing two splitters would interact on the EDID front.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I've been (over)thinking how I'd hook this up. Most devices that have an eArc input only have one HDMI output, and I need to send a signal to two monitors. I also don't love using a small dongle as an HDMI switch as I'd prefer something more stable and preferably rack-mountable to hook my inputs and monitors to.
My thought is I could use a matrix splitter like https://www.amazon.com/MT-VIKI-Matr...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A3R2WRS5QNVSPP&th=1 as well as an eArc extractor like https://www.orei.com/products/4k-hdmi-audio-extractor-switch-with-earc-and-edid-management-hda-934. Inputs 1-3 on the matrix splitter would be for blu-ray players, game consoles, etc. Output 1 on the matrix splitter would go to the input on the eArc extractor. eArc input would go to the Minidsp HDMI. Output on the eArc extractor would go to input 4 on the matrix splitter. Output 2 and 3 on the matrix splitter would go to my monitors.

I think this would work. The matrix splitter never needs to pass eArc. My biggest concern would be around EDID management; I'm not sure how mixing two splitters would interact on the EDID front.
The key problem is not the signal routing but the decoding. So you need to make sure that your sources eg BlueRay, Game Console etc output LPCM for each individual channel and not the coded eg Dolby or Atmos signal. If that is ensured, your splitter approach might work.

Monty67

Am i the only one that doesnt understand what this product is for? I get what the minidsp flex are for. What is the HT stuff for? It doesnt decode dolby true hd, so i still need a receiver right?

What does this product do? And what would be its use case?

Thanks

dweeeeb2

Am i the only one that doesnt understand what this product is for? I get what the minidsp flex are for. What is the HT stuff for? It doesnt decode dolby true hd, so i still need a receiver right?

What does this product do? And what would be its use case?

Thanks
Ive ordered purely for a 2.1 system as it allows upgrading for 2.x, and I can use rca or balanced amps (currently have rca, but will be balanced in the future) plus I can ARC from tv. Im also hoping the DSP is “transparent”.

Top Bottom