• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP 2x4 HD Sweetspot-audio Mod Review

Rate this DSP Mod:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 193 88.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 7.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 3.7%

• Total voters

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Can't call this anything more than a scam.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has it been burned in though?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

Fidji

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a lot to like about the stock unit. It has all the functionality in terms of PEQ, crossover, routing that the Flex has; Dirac Live can be added for around $200, it has a four channel DAC for output: and it only costs $225. There is also a remote available, sold separately, which will allow for volume control and the selection among four separate DSP profiles (though it has no LED volume indicator, alas). I believe it will also accept USB signal input, so it can be used directly from a PC as well. And a lot of people already own one.

IMHO, the one mod you might want is something that upgrades the DACS. That could happen either by putting new DACs in or else by tapping into the I2S outputs and adding spdif jacks to make possible the use of any number of l.t. $100 DACS which handily better the onboard units. If someone were handy with a soldering iron (you'd need to be proficient in micro-soldering), it could be a $50 DIY project.

But Sweetspot Audio has instead given us something like a Dannie Richie mod. A lot of parts upgrades which don't improve a single performance parameter, rather making everything worse. Total waste of money.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Clowns over on the WiiM forums are claiming "improved sound" after replacing op amps on their WiiM Pro+ streamer. Laughable.

sealman

Forum Donor
I always find it amusing no matter how lousy something measures there's always a few great votes. I could see not terrible or maybe fine but great?
This happens with practically every review. There are several people that always vote the opposite of everyone else.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Uze awl are being quite harsh on this mod.
Scope of modification:
  • RFI measures
You see?
It has often been said that the "RFI [prevention] measures" are a scientific endeavor akin to someone chasing a black cat, in a pitch-dark chamber...:rolleyes: except that there is no cat.
I am forced to vote for the HappyPanther solely because we once owned a black cat!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
God knows what my nonHD version of the 2x4 measures like, I'm thinking it could measure worse than either of these!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, they certainly hit the sweet spot :facepalm:

Nach umfangreichen Modifikationen und zahlreichen Hörsessions können wir mit Stolz sagen, das unsere aktuelle Sweetspot Audio Platinum Stufe sich mehr als deutlich vom Seriengerät absetzenkann.
Well, good that @amirm could at least prove this to be true… ironically… ;)

Translation:
After extensive modifications and numerous listening sessions, we can proudly say that our current Sweetspot Audio Platinum level distinguishes itself significantly from the stock device.

TurtlePaul

After reading a bunch of comments on a bunch of sites to the effect of “2x4 HD is only good enough for subs and not for mains” I feel validated that I in fact do not have tin ears using these on my mains and having no issues with the performance. CD transparent is good enough for me. I don’t feel I need to biy the $300 more Flex for looks and meaningless SINAD.

edit: But I wish the “stock” test was a current generation TI unit and not a pre-fire AKM unit.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Well, they certainly hit the sweet spot :facepalm:

Well, good that @amirm could at least prove this to be true… ironically… ;)

Translation:
What made this thing a victim of such abuse was the first but also the second version's IMD and noise(don't know about the second's second,V2)
Countless talk at mod sites about it.
What's funny about the "upgrade" is that this metrics got even worst in the whole region!

Yep,it's hard to make a cheap ADC+DAC combination that will measure 120db SINAD,we saw what happened with topping's EX2x2,etc and it's 100db SINAD wich is a little more expensive with a gazzilion more stuff on it.
But that's far,far from it.
Even the flex suffered with the filters applied before the fix.

TurtlePaul

Amir, my concern with the 2X4 HD has been their 2 V maximum specification. Any chance you can measure it at higher voltage? If you are concerned about 4 V being risky, how about 3 V, or even 2.5 V. Most people probably use it with their AVR's sub outs, and 2 V maximum really is not a great spec at all for such applications, yet people don't seem to have issues.
The 2V input and output is achieved at the digital clipping limit. You can’t get above 2V, it just gets clipped. I don’t use it behind an AVR sub output, but I don’t think most sub outs go much above 2V and a lot of them can be volume adjusted. My subs input has sufficient gain for 2V have way more than enough level even without the subs volume anywhere near max.

TurtlePaul

There's a lot to like about the stock unit. It has all the functionality in terms of PEQ, crossover, routing that the Flex has; Dirac Live can be added for around $200, it has a four channel DAC for output: and it only costs $225. There is also a remote available, sold separately, which will allow for volume control and the selection among four separate DSP profiles (though it has no LED volume indicator, alas). I believe it will also accept USB signal input, so it can be used directly from a PC as well. And a lot of people already own
FYI, in August 2022, MiniDSP started also including the remote free in the box.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, my concern with the 2X4 HD has been their 2 V maximum specification. Any chance you can measure it at higher voltage?
As noted, I fed the unit 0 dBFS signal. There is no volume control like there is in AV products to then get higher output voltage. I did see in the control app that there is a -1 dBFS headroom reserved. I suppose I could defeat that but don't see a good reason to do so. If you look at the IMD graph, you see that distortion has already started to rise prior to getting to full output.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As noted, I fed the unit 0 dBFS signal. There is no volume control like there is in AV products to then get higher output voltage. I did see in the control app that there is a -1 dBFS headroom reserved. I suppose I could defeat that but don't see a good reason to do so. If you look at the IMD graph, you see that distortion has already started to rise prior to getting to full output.
Thanks for checking into it. I guess if they say it is 2 V max., then 2 V is the maximim if distortion is to be at acceptable level. It is just my wishful thinking that may be it can do more, because I am using it with my buckeye amp nc502mp that has only 25.5 dB gain. I am using it with analog signal, not limited by the 0 dBFS

Last edited:

TurtlePaul

Thanks for checking into it. I guess if they say it is 2 V max., then 2 V is the maximim if distortion is to be at acceptable level. It is just my wishful thinking that may be it can do more, because I am using it with my buckeye amp nc502mp that has only 25.5 dB gain. I am using it with analog signal, not limited by the 0 dBFS
You are not getting it quite. The internal brain of this device is digital. All signals pass through the digital. That is how it can do the DSP. 0dBFS gives 2V.

As a practical matter in your situation, unless you have the world’s least sensitive speakers or are powering a concert venue, you should be able to get loud enough (which is what matters). I usually have 25-40 dB of excess gain available on my 2x4 HD when using an amp with similar gain (Fosi V3) and 88 dB efficient speakers (Revel F206). Even a speakers in the low 80s sensitivity with an amp gain in the high teens will get quite loud.

Last edited:
Top Bottom