• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

MiniDSP 2x4 HD or DDRC-24?

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can anyone shed any light as to which of these solutions would be easier to implement? Thanks in advance!
Dirac would certainly be easier,and yes, either of those will do what you want and most likely be audibly indistinguishable from a Flex.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The next question is then, would this process be easier to do with the DDRS-24?
All miniDSP plugins are pretty much the same so you'd be using the same GUI and tools no matter which you choose. The Flex has the option to add Dirac as well so basically you're looking at a $25 base price difference with a lot more physical functionality in the Flex.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
My current 2.1 stereo system consists of a pair of LS50 speakers and an SVS SB2000 Pro subwoofer. After reading so many recommendations to add a second subwoofer to similar systems for a better musical experience, I went ahead an ordered a second sub.

I know that to obtain the best possible sound that I should also do some kind room correction. I’m wondering what would be the easiest way to do this. I’m currently looking at either a miniDSP 2x4 HD, or a DDRC-24.

Can anyone shed any light as to which of these solutions would be easier to implement? Thanks in advance!
I would get the FLEX and add Dirac or move up to the SHD - if you need to just apply crossovers and tweaks - still get the FLEX, its newer than 2x4 and DDRC

OP
cochlea

cochlea

Forum Donor
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help. I’m going to order the Flex with a mic and hope for the best. I have no doubt I will be back later with lots of questions. :)

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and help. I’m going to order the Flex with a mic and hope for the best. I have no doubt I will be back later with lots of questions. :)
follow their manual online - its extremely visual and clear - Ill help if you get stuck I have like 4 minidsp products and can make them do what they are supposed to do

OP
cochlea

cochlea

Forum Donor
follow their manual online - its extremely visual and clear - Ill help if you get stuck I have like 4 minidsp products and can make them do what they are supposed to do
Thank you so much!

ah-ra

My current 2.1 stereo system consists of a pair of LS50 speakers and an SVS SB2000 Pro subwoofer. After reading so many recommendations to add a second subwoofer to similar systems for a better musical experience, I went ahead an ordered a second sub.

I know that to obtain the best possible sound that I should also do some kind room correction. I’m wondering what would be the easiest way to do this. I’m currently looking at either a miniDSP 2x4 HD, or a DDRC-24.

I just implemented a DDRC-24 in my system. I wrote some kind of short review in another thread. This could be interesting for you....

So based on my experience I can highly recommend to try out the DDRC-24. You won't recognize your system. Maybe some additional advice, so you don't have to make my mistakes as well.....:

- It takes some time to set everything up correctly. So take your time!
- Try setting up your system symetrically.
- First measure the delay between the subs and the speakers, put that in the mini DSP software and then (!) run the Dirac measurements (with delays of the main speakers already defined!)
- Tweak the Dirac curve to your liking. Read some articles about curves,e.g. the Harman curve.
- You might also want to verify the results in REW. The effect on the frequency response is stunning, but you might play with speaker placement as well to fine tune.

regan

Well you basically have streaming without having to tag along another device with its own cables and power supply.
But isn't the audio quality worsened if you stream through BT?
If you use a normal streamer instead it uses wifi and the quality loss is solved

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
But isn't the audio quality worsened if you stream through BT?
If you use a normal streamer instead it uses wifi and the quality loss is solved

Yes, audio quailty is noticably degraded via BT vs any other input, and if you are using it on a computer and watching video or using zoom, you'll get an annoying audio delay. It would be a massive waste IMHO to get a Flex and then only use BT. That said, it's great that the Flex has BT. It's an incredibly useful feature for many people, even with the audio degradation.

Maginness

I have gone the 2x4HD to DDRC-24 to Flex (Balanced with Dirac) path with my 2.2 set up.

Personally I had a lot of fun learning the 2x4HD and REW. Did that with a 2.1 set up. Digital source —> DAC —> 2x4HD —> amp and sub.

Got the Dirac license with the same set up. Digital source —> DAC —> DDRC-24 —> amp and sub. Personally I liked Dirac over what I was able to achieve with REW. My room is a mess with side wall surfaces and shapes. Dirac helped a lot.

A bit later got the upgrade bug. Bought a new amp and speakers. Amp has balanced input and I was never completely happy with sound going DAC to DDRC-24.

Bought a Flex (balanced with Dirac). Changed my set up to Digital source —> Flex —> amp and sub. Really happy with the sound. I'm using the Flex as a DAC, DSP, and pre amp. So then I picked up a pair of subs and went from 2.1 to 2.2 system. Upgrade bug over for now and the Flex is a great product.

Semi related, dual subs really helped my room set up vs a single sub.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Bought a Flex (balanced with Dirac). Changed my set up to Digital source —> Flex —> amp and sub.
I was planning the same upgrade to my 2.1 setup until i noticed that the Flex does not have a trigger output. Does your amp have auto sense? If not are you turning the amp on/off manually, using an autosense power strip or other?

Maginness

I was planning the same upgrade to my 2.1 setup until i noticed that the Flex does not have a trigger output. Does your amp have auto sense? If not are you turning the amp on/off manually, using an autosense power strip or other?
I run a class D amp and have music planning 8+ hrs a day. So I leave the amp on.

OP
cochlea

cochlea

Forum Donor
I’m using an auto-sensing power strip which work really well for me. When I turn on my amp (March Audio P262) the power strip also turns on my Blue Node 2i, MiniDSP Flex, and Schitt Mani 2.

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
Well you basically have streaming without having to tag along another device with its own cables and power supply.
Streaming, yea, but it's Bluetooth.. Nobody here considers Bluetooth a serious use case since it's compressed. If it had AirPlay that'd be a different story.

Top Bottom