• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mid-to-high end receivers without cooling fans?

jonfitch

Looking through the current products, it seems like Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Onkyo, Integra, Sony etc receivers all seem to have cooling fans on their mid to high end models? Is Yamaha the only company left that has a fanless design (i.e. the A6A and A8A?). Unfortunately I can't get over the Cyclops aesthetics of the current Aventage line though, hoping for alternatives for a HDMI 2.1 40gbps generation receiver.

If everyone else is using fans, has anyone tried replacing the existing fans on any units with quieter Noctua fans? I noticed a lot of complaints about fan noise on current higher end Denon/Pioneer/Onkyo receivers.

Last edited:

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looking through the current products, it seems like Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, Onkyo, Integra, Sony etc receivers all seem to have cooling fans on their mid to high end models? Is Yamaha the only company left that has a fanless design (i.e. the A6A and A8A?). Unfortunately I can't get over the Cyclops aesthetics of the current Aventage line though, hoping for alternatives for a HDMI 2.1 40gbps generation receiver.

If everyone else is using fans, has anyone tried replacing the existing fans on any units with quieter Noctua fans? I noticed a lot of complaints about fan noise on current higher end Denon/Pioneer/Onkyo receivers.
Hi Jonfitch,

I have Denon 8500H and I never heard the internal fans. I mean never, and I have had a unit for over 4 years. If they ever kicked in, they were dead silent. My room ambient noise measures 33dB C-weighted and 27 A-weighted. Just saying...

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Not "high end" but the fans on my Denon 4700 and 4800 never turn on, even when pushed hard.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use two types of fans, the Nyde Gentle Typhoon are acoustically tuned not to make noise annoying to our hearing. Also the ARCTIC P14 PWM PST and the P12 can run at 1800rpm at the same decibel level others make at 1000rpm. They're static pressure for pushing air through a radiator or filter, and the Nydec are case fans for pulling or pushing unobstructed.
A USB to 2 pin female plug I run from a phone charger to keep the router running cool.

OP
J

jonfitch

I use two types of fans, the Nyde Gentle Typhoon are acoustically tuned not to make noise annoying to our hearing. Also the ARCTIC P14 PWM PST and the P12 can run at 1800rpm at the same decibel level others make at 1000rpm. They're static pressure for pushing air through a radiator or filter, and the Nydec are case fans for pulling or pushing unobstructed.
A USB to 2 pin female plug I run from a phone charger to keep the router running cool.

Which receiver did you replace the fans on?

Top Bottom