• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

BluesDaddy

So, to us golden ears, I like the idea of this forum to quantify the stuff we (think) we hear. I have "heard" cables from Radio Shack magnet wire with packing tape (which I built, liked and an objective person liked) to 5 nines silver on air dielectric I also built and like. I really would like to see this quantified which is THIS FORUM. I read stereophile about air. I have heard air. Love it. Want it measured so I can make it happen on purpose instead of 20 years, 3 custom built listening studios and 4 other purchased studios. Thanks to Sterophile for the marketing and serious ears and to the science community for quantifying and advancing the state of the art and science.
You've either not read much here or this is a wonderful parody. I laughed out loud.

Robin L

Master Contributor
How does Fremer afford $320,000 Wilson speaker sets? Is he independently wealthy or does Stereophile pay that good?
Good question.
I spent a lot of time over the last three days pouring over old issues of High Fidelity:
HIGH FIDELITY - Consumer audio and music magazine (worldradiohistory.com)
I was looking mostly at the years 1964-1971, the years of the Beatles. High Fidelity really didn't like them. That's another issue for another time. But something else I noticed during those years: audio gear being affordable was advertised as a good thing. Lots of the advertisements emphasized the value of the gear, low prices were regarded as a virtue back in those days. The under $100 loudspeaker was the norm, a $300 loudspeaker was considered a luxury item. If something like $1000 a pair would be the top in 1967, that "top" translates to slightly under $8000 today. I think we are in the "gilded age" of high-end audio. And, having heard some really expensive gear undermined in some acoustically hopeless rooms, I do have to wonder what 1/3 of a million dollars worth of loudspeakers is doing in Mikey's messy mancave.

BluesDaddy

Good question.
I spent a lot of time over the last three days pouring over old issues of High Fidelity:
HIGH FIDELITY - Consumer audio and music magazine (worldradiohistory.com)
I was looking mostly at the years 1964-1971, the years of the Beatles. High Fidelity really didn't like them. That's another issue for another time. But something else I noticed during those years: audio gear being affordable was advertised as a good thing. Lots of the advertisements emphasized the value of the gear, low prices were regarded as a virtue back in those days. The under $100 loudspeaker was the norm, a $300 loudspeaker was considered a luxury item. If something like $1000 a pair would be the top in 1967, that "top" translates to slightly under $8000 today. I think we are in the "gilded age" of high-end audio. And, having heard some really expensive gear undermined in some acoustically hopeless rooms, I do have to wonder what 1/3 of a million dollars worth of loudspeakers is doing in Mikey's messy mancave.
Not to the main point, but I recall when a pair of Klipschorns were approximately $1000, early 70s. They were the end of the hi-fi "rainbow" to me and that seem like a HUGE amount of money at the time.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Not to the main point, but I recall when a pair of Klipschorns were approximately $1000, early 70s. They were the end of the hi-fi "rainbow" to me and that seem like a HUGE amount of money at the time.
Real dodgy sounding, those. Also, you really need an auditorium---ok, I'm exaggerating, but you do need a much larger than average room for the sound to cohere. I recall a dude who made "high-end" interconnect and cable, had a pair of those monsters in a tiny room, just a total mess sonically.

In 1973 I got my first system, Acoustic Research 3's, AR amp and Turntable, Shure 91e cartridge. The speakers were used, the total was about $700. Good sounding system, but too much for my bedroom. I was 18 when I got it , still living at home.

BluesDaddy

Real dodgy sounding, those. Also, you really need an auditorium---ok, I'm exaggerating, but you do need a much larger than average room for the sound to cohere. I recall a dude who made "high-end" interconnect and cable, had a pair of those monsters in a tiny room, just a total mess sonically.

In 1973 I got my first system, Acoustic Research 3's, AR amp and Turntable, Shure 91e cartridge. The speakers were used, the total was about $700. Good sounding system, but too much for my bedroom. I was 18 when I got it , still living at home.

No doubt, as I came to learn later. I also was enamored with McIntosh equipment. Always sending off the Stereo Review "more information" cards to get their catalogs. I was 17 in '73 and put together my first "real" system (I'd had one of those crappy portable fold down "stereos" before, then a frankenstereo using only the turntable of that through a guitar amp and an old mono Eico amp that had been my dad's. Either the speakers from the portable separated from it or something else, can't remember. I wanted VOLUME) - which was a Dynaco SCA-80Q I built along with a used AR turntable and some Shure cartridge that came with it. Speakers were junk, but I spent all my money on the other and then was in college and no longer working with money to spend on stereo equipment. Then I used the big 15" woofer three way my dad still had from his mono system and built another to "match" - i.e. it matched more or less in looks but with RS drivers and off the shelf three way crossover. Still, all the money I had to spend and it did get "loud".

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My first system was a Technics belt-drive cheapie turntable with an Ortofon cartridge, a Kenwood integrated amp and separate tuner, and a pair of Advent loudspeakers. I think it was about $350 for all of it in 1977--and it was (and still is) quite listenable.

The main advances in those days were at the affordable end of the spectrum, once good solid-state amps came along. Difficult speaker loads weren't our problem in those days.

We thought of Klipsh as party speakers, like big JBL's and Cerwin Vegas. The Advents were in the AR acoustic suspension tradition, of course. The 40-watt Kenwood was more than enough for a dorm room, even with 86 dB/w/m. Loud rather than clean, but then we were into what is now called prog rock, plus classical.

Rick "still listens to prog rock and classical" Denney

Robin L

Master Contributor
My first system was a Technics belt-drive cheapie turntable with an Ortofon cartridge, a Kenwood integrated amp and separate tuner, and a pair of Advent loudspeakers. I think it was about $350 for all of it in 1977--and it was (and still is) quite listenable.

The main advances in those days were at the affordable end of the spectrum, once good solid-state amps came along. Difficult speaker loads weren't our problem in those days.

We thought of Klipsh as party speakers, like big JBL's and Cerwin Vegas. The Advents were in the AR acoustic suspension tradition, of course. The 40-watt Kenwood was more than enough for a dorm room, even with 86 dB/w/m. Loud rather than clean, but then we were into what is now called prog rock, plus classical.

Rick "still listens to prog rock and classical" Denney
I've owned 4 separate pairs of Advent speakers, two of the Large [first in the 70's, later in the 1990's], one of the small [1970's, very sweet with the Fisher 500C] and one outdoor pair [2010's], made long after Jensen acquired their company. Used those in the car. I remember visiting Jason Serinus before he was a scribe for Stereophile, had a wonderful system where the speakers were large Advents, did wonders with the vocal music he cherishes. Mine never sounded as good. I suspect the room he had them in and the odd placement he deployed were big factors in their sound quality.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I guess this belongs in a thread for Golden Eared Audiophiles. I've been pursuing audio nirvana for over 50 years. What I'm using now is overall the best sounding system I have owned. I've been using headphones right from the start and over time have come to prefer them to loudspeakers. Having a room that's appropriate for music is not a given in one's dwelling, and right now I'm in a small apartment. But even when I had access to a room with suitable acoustics, it was always easier for me to hear multiple musical lines and inner details of music via 'phones. The total cost of my current headphone system [my best sounding combination of electronics and headphones] comes to around $1000. That includes the Laptop, 1/2 TB flash drive with 1,600 CDs in lossless files, the headphones, DAC and headphone amp. I've owned and used Stax earspeakers & amp/energizer that cost twice as much 30 years ago. And that doesn't even include the source.

There's low-cost gear right now that approaches state of the art performance. This indicates a radical shift in both quality and cost compared to what was possible 20 years ago. Yes, you can spend all you want. But that doesn't guarantee good sound.

BluesDaddy

No, you got it. Glad you enjoyed. I have built those cables though
Radio Shack magnet wire and clear packing tape just did not hold up well. Air? Who doesn't want that.
Gotcha. Way back in the later 80s when I first was subscribing to Stereophile (pretty sure it was them and not Speaker Builder), "Sam Tellig" in his Audio Cheapskate (Audiophile Cheapskate? Don't recall.) monthly column talked about RS solid core hook-up wire and how great doing twisted pairs for speaker cables. I promptly ordered some gold plated spade lugs from someplace advertising in Speaker Builder and ran down to the local RS and bought a spool of black and a spool of red solid core hook up wire. I then spent a couple evenings putting together about 10' runs. I then hooked my speakers up with and promptly convinced myself they sounded better than the 12 gauge stranded wire I'd been using. We moved not long after that, but during the interim I decided I could not really hear any difference. After moving I set my hi-fi back up with the old 12 gauge as it was far easier to use (not as stiff). I've used that ever since, though the equipment has changed over the years.

Marmus

Gotcha. Way back in the later 80s when I first was subscribing to Stereophile (pretty sure it was them and not Speaker Builder), "Sam Tellig" in his Audio Cheapskate (Audiophile Cheapskate? Don't recall.) monthly column talked about RS solid core hook-up wire and how great doing twisted pairs for speaker cables. I promptly ordered some gold plated spade lugs from someplace advertising in Speaker Builder and ran down to the local RS and bought a spool of black and a spool of red solid core hook up wire. I then spent a couple evenings putting together about 10' runs. I then hooked my speakers up with and promptly convinced myself they sounded better than the 12 gauge stranded wire I'd been using. We moved not long after that, but during the interim I decided I could not really hear any difference. After moving I set my hi-fi back up with the old 12 gauge as it was far easier to use (not as stiff). I've used that ever since, though the equipment has changed over the years.
Outstanding! I braided, same time, same reason. Ended up buying someone's leftover KimberCable 8 TC, bi-amped and still use them. Air-I finally got a room setup and the sound left the speakers. Thought it broke at first. Never messed with equipment again. Band was in the room.

Marmus

I am also all in for headphones these days. Nothing as nice as a designed room, but, dang, just sitting here (anywhere) listening to the stuff tested at ASR--- intoxicating sound just anywhere. Thanks to A.S.R. for some great direction. I am expecting to contribute some later this year when my next work/test room is set up. AIR !!!! LoL but really.

TommyCock

Ten Signs that you may be suffering from Audiophilus Nervosa, the neurotic behavior of the self-described "Audiophile":

#1: You have a box full of line level interconnects but can only use two pair at any given time.
#2: You have multiple LP copies of the same title, being wrapped up in the search for "The Perfect Copy".
#3: You have, at one time or another, used a green marker on your CDs or attached "rings" to said CDs, and can hear the difference.
#4: You have adjusted VTA on your tonearm so many times, you have worn out the screws.
#5: You are "into" swapping tubes.
#6: You have "Upgraded" your electronic gear with "High-End" passive parts.
#7: You have a re-clocking device between your digital source and your DAC, and the DAC set you back $10,000.00
#8: There are scratch marks all over your floor from constantly re-positioning your heavy floorstanding speakers.
#9: You KNOW LPs sound better.
#10: You get into a pointless argument on ASR and then get blocked.

TommyCock

I..lol..into this to a certain degree. I have tons of pieces parts..multiple copies of cds...playing with multiple tweaks, however, I've never truly heard a killer Hi Fi system as described in this forum or in online reviews. I'm still a newbie. But I obsess over speaker placement, brass anti-vibration and the like. I hope to go to an expo to see and hear a high end rig. This hobby is down right frustrating.lol

Robin L

Master Contributor
Ten Signs that you may be suffering from Audiophilus Nervosa, the neurotic behavior of the self-described "Audiophile":

#1: You have a box full of line level interconnects but can only use two pair at any given time.
#2: You have multiple LP copies of the same title, being wrapped up in the search for "The Perfect Copy".
#3: You have, at one time or another, used a green marker on your CDs or attached "rings" to said CDs, and can hear the difference.
#4: You have adjusted VTA on your tonearm so many times, you have worn out the screws.
#5: You are "into" swapping tubes.
#6: You have "Upgraded" your electronic gear with "High-End" passive parts.
#7: You have a re-clocking device between your digital source and your DAC, and the DAC set you back $10,000.00
#8: There are scratch marks all over your floor from constantly re-positioning your heavy floorstanding speakers.
#9: You KNOW LPs sound better.
#10: You get into a pointless argument on ASR and then get blocked.
I've been reading old issues of High Fidelity and Stereo Review at RADIO and BROADCAST HISTORY library with thousands of books and magazines (worldradiohistory.com) , a fabulous resource for historical research into all things "audiophile". I ran across this subject in one of the two magazines around 1965 and I'm going to dive back to see if I can retrieve the link. All kidding aside, many behaviors encouraged by marketeers of the High End turn into demonstrably neurotic behavior, though I'm pretty sure this article was "just kidding". High Fidelity and Psychotherapy were hot topics for comics of the era.

TommyCock

I've been reading old issues of High Fidelity and Stereo Review at worldradiohistory.com , a fabulous resource for historical research into all things "audiophile". I ran across this subject in one of the two magazines around 1965 and I'm going to dive back to see if I can retrieve the link. All kidding aside, many behaviors encouraged by marketeers of the High End turn into demonstrably neurotic behavior, though I'm pretty sure this article was "just kidding". High Fidelity and Psychotherapy were hot topics for comics of the era.
Lol , I think there is an direct correlation. I will be at work ..in the middle of a task..stop and Google something about HIFi..its my escape.lol

Top Bottom