• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mesanovic RTM10 Monitor

Logix

Hmm yet another DSP speaker without digital inputs ? Why ? I understand that you have to design some kind of volume control application or solution around that like a remote control for example or a control unit of some kind and a connector between speakers for the other channel .
Even without volume controller, digital inputs should be part of any speaker like this, and I can't see any reason but cost saving why there is no AES3 inputs here.
Today almost any audio interface lets you control the digital output's volume and going digital would cut the latency of the monitor in half plus would save money to many like me by selling my 3K+$ monitor controller / DAC.
Bummer but I'm still considering this monitor, especially since Deni mentioned that adding a digital inputs will be possible in the future, but some details about that will be great.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even without volume controller, digital inputs should be part of any speaker like this, and I can't see any reason but cost saving why there is no AES3 inputs here.
Today almost any audio interface lets you control the digital output's volume and going digital would cut the latency of the monitor in half plus would save money to many like me by selling my 3K+$ monitor controller / DAC.
Bummer but I'm still considering this monitor, especially since Deni mentioned that adding a digital inputs will be possible in the future, but some details about that will be great.
I would imagine that would involve shipping them back to Mesanovic at owner expense, plus the added expense of the upgrade. No small expense considering how heavy those things are. And I agree AES3 inputs are mandatory here.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Purely as a matter of interest, I can’t think of one engineer to whom we have sold ‘digital’ speakers that uses the digital ‘ins’.
Keith

Savi

Purely as a matter of interest, I can’t think of one engineer to whom we have sold ‘digital’ speakers that uses the digital ‘ins’.
Keith

Do you know why ?
For information, spec of hypex plate hereunder:
Screenshot_20210126-210814.jpg

Logix

Keith
It doesn't mean anything, and I can’t think of one advantage of using analog input in a monitor like this with an extra A/D conversion and added latency.
If you have the option to send a digital signal to the monitor it always will be the best way, and as I mentioned earlier it can also save some money, if the audio world is changing and now we have DACs inside monitors, why using an expensive DAC and not the digital output of almost any audio interface? many of them have remotes for volume control.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't mean anything, and I can’t think of one advantage of using analog input in a monitor like this with an extra A/D conversion and added latency.

Well for one, there are lots of DACs and audio interfaces with volume controls on their analog outputs, but a dearth of digital "preamps".

Yes, you can use volume control upstream on the computer, but that's not something I would trust my hearing to if the monitors were capable of any appreciable SPL.

Digital ins are best in theory, but in practice the lack of appropriate supporting equipment gets in the way of using them.

ardasuppliers

Any dealer in Europe, please...?
I mean Eurozone...

Just found one in Portugal, thanks...

https://ardasuppliers.com/collections/mesanovic/

Hi everyone,

Miguel @ Arda Suppliers here! Thanks for linking to our store. We’d be happy to give ASR forum members a discount on Mesanovic products. Just hit me up on the forum and we’ll hook you up with a promo code!

Stay safe,

Reactions: Zvu

F1308

Major Contributor
Guess the next steps would be a WISA membership and a floorstander...?

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anybody have any real-world experience with these? I saw the very favorable measurement comparison to the Genelec 8351b, which was great. I am curious as to whether anyone has used them and what they have found. I am trying to schedule a time to listen to them locally but I can't tell if Vintage King actually has a demo pair (they are kind of hard to reach in the showroom).

deni

Audio Company
Does anybody have any real-world experience with these? I saw the very favorable measurement comparison to the Genelec 8351b, which was great. I am curious as to whether anyone has used them and what they have found. I am trying to schedule a time to listen to them locally but I can't tell if Vintage King actually has a demo pair (they are kind of hard to reach in the showroom).
Vintage King does have a pair on demo in their Burbank showroom. Send me a PM and I’ll get you in contact with one of their sales reps!

Not any measurement of today i am aware of - not saying that it will not become a metric as we see great progress in that field these days.

If we could measure everything we hear, double blind tests would be a thing of past.

Same goes for AMT. Check out how simple and cheap is making of AMT tweeters.

I always hear claim the spee when AMT is brought up. I don't really know how you would test that but it seems to imply that the speaker moves faster or doesn't "linger", it's not "responsive". Another benefit I commonly hear is that the typical size of a AMT is like equivalent to a 7 inch dome tweeter. Again, I'm not sure how you can measure that benefit, but that is another thing that's commonly brought up.

YSC

Major Contributor
I always hear claim the spee when AMT is brought up. I don't really know how you would test that but it seems to imply that the speaker moves faster or doesn't "linger", it's not "responsive". Another benefit I commonly hear is that the typical size of a AMT is like equivalent to a 7 inch dome tweeter. Again, I'm not sure how you can measure that benefit, but that is another thing that's commonly brought up.
I really don't think this is anything other than confirmation bias.. or illusion.

If anything related to speed, it should be measurable in the decay plot, as you would expect a high speed driver to goes from start to stop quicker hence less decay "strips", as for the area, it should make it able to have lower distortion in higher volume, which seems not always the case

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really don't think this is anything other than confirmation bias.. or illusion.

If anything related to speed, it should be measurable in the decay plot, as you would expect a high speed driver to goes from start to stop quicker hence less decay "strips", as for the area, it should make it able to have lower distortion in higher volume, which seems not always the case
You're correct. Speed makes no sense in this context. The ability of a driver to consistently accelerate quickly will be reflected by the frequency response. Just as bass cannot be 'fast' since the period of oscillation is very long, treble can't really be 'slow' if it is reproducing the desired bandwidth.

If you want immediacy in treble a high end dome tweeter will do the job most of the time, but compression drivers will always be kings of HF dynamics. At the volume levels where a dome tweeter is starting to get tired and overheat, a compression driver is just warming up. Unfortunately, compression drivers require horns, which prevent designers who want to bolt a HF transducer to a piece of wood from using them. They also tend to be heavy and expensive.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have a pair and they are good, Phil Ward he’s reviewed them for Sound on Sound , measurements there ( some at least ) too.
Keith

Dolomick

I have a pair and they are good, Phil Ward he’s reviewed them for Sound on Sound , measurements there ( some at least ) too.
Keith
I guess I’ve seen literally everything on the internet about them then! How do you compare them (RTM-10’s) to Ex Machina Pulsar’s?
My demo Pulsars arrived with too much damage for me to keep them:(

Top Bottom