• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Meizu Hifi USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

chi2

Forum Donor
@VulkanApi
With this type of music it's pretty hard for me to identify anomalies ;). However, when playing the wav with USB Audio Player Pro on a Samsing S10 5G and on a S5e tablet I encounter no such problems with the non pro Meizu dac.

Edit: Also no problems on a Lenovo X1 Gen 5 with Windows 10 Enterprise (1909) running foobar2000

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
My English is very bad, so I will try to say it in different ways, creak, crackle, as if the sound when you touch the foil but much quieter.
I use non-pro meizu with my work laptop. Sometimes I get a crackle. It is because the data transfer is not async like most DACs are. But it is so rarely that it doesn't bother me. For the price I still think it's a good performing dongle. But, apple usb-c dongle doesn't crackle if it bothers you. Apple has less power output though.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The non pro doesn't handle 44.1KHz playback very well. Those millisecond cutouts are the result of that I think. You can fix the issue by setting your system to output 48KHz audio. In Windows this can be configured in the Sound Control Panel. Android is set to output 48KHz audio by default.

VulkanApi

I use non-pro meizu with my work laptop. Sometimes I get a crackle. It is because the data transfer is not async like most DACs are. But it is so rarely that it doesn't bother me. For the price I still think it's a good performing dongle. But, apple usb-c dongle doesn't crackle if it bothers you. Apple has less power output though.
My problem is the same as yours, unfortunately I do not have access to apple 2049 and 0.5v for 2155 very little for me. Thought about buying sonata hd pro, but read about the stuttering problem, so I changed my mind, now I'm waiting for information about the Xiaomi Hifi Dac, if this device fails, I have to take the Meizu Dac Pro.

VulkanApi

The non pro doesn't handle 44.1KHz playback very well. Those millisecond cutouts are the result of that I think. You can fix the issue by setting your system to output 48KHz audio. In Windows this can be configured in the Sound Control Panel. Android is set to output 48KHz audio by default.

Unfortunately, this method does not help at all, even if I recode the tracks to 48 using the resampler, it only reduces stuttering, but cod remains.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Making it perfect for playing Spotify in the car. Which is exactly why I bought the non pro for cheap and the pro I will use for iem to go bit perfect from uapp

VulkanApi

Could you please explain to me the reason why in non pro data transfer is not async like most DACs are?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you please explain to me the reason why in non pro data transfer is not async like most DACs are?
You would do better asking that of someone from meizu. It would come down to one of 2 things I suspect- cost or space/engineering limitations. Given the Pro is the same size and shape I would guess cost, or they learnt something after the development of the non pro that they decided to fix with the pro.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My problem is the same as yours, unfortunately I do not have access to apple 2049 and 0.5v for 2155 very little for me. Thought about buying sonata hd pro, but read about the stuttering problem, so I changed my mind, now I'm waiting for information about the Xiaomi Hifi Dac, if this device fails, I have to take the Meizu Dac Pro.

Good luck finding the Pro Meizu- I believe out of production and out of stock. The Sonata HD pro works fine for me btw (Android and UAPP)

taner

There are strange anomalies in meizu dac non pro, there are rustling in certain tracks that are not in Pro and in other DACs. An example of such a track: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e897zJN9ktohZHXfSztDT1fqn1quPWhy/view .
This file is 44.1KHz. As mentioned earlier in thread non-Pro version has serious playback problems with 44.1 kHz sample format. You have to resample files to 48kHz or higer sampling rate. If you use foobar2000 for PC, there are plugins for on-the-fly resampling like `sox resampler`.

VulkanApi

This file is 44.1KHz. As mentioned earlier in thread non-Pro version has serious playback problems with 44.1 kHz sample format. You have to resample files to 48kHz or higer sampling rate. If you use foobar2000 for PC, there are plugins for on-the-fly resampling like `sox resampler`.

This only works for stutters.
I do not know how meizu managed to create this problem, but my phone meizu 7 pro plus (CS43130) and other sources of this problem are not observed, I checked with friends on those headphones that have a problem with non pro (meizu dac pro, Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen, Topping DX3 Pro), and with meizu dac non pro this problem occurs when connecting to any device.

Attachments

• Screenshot_9.png
    Screenshot_9.png
    175.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

taner

Try auto resample to 352800 (352.8 kHz = 8x44.1kHz) for 44.1kHz files. I can do this on Linux with pulseaudio.

VulkanApi

Try auto resample to 352800 (352.8 kHz = 8x44.1kHz) for 44.1kHz files. I can do this on Linux with pulseaudio.
maybe I'm not following your instruction correctly, but the result is 0.

Attachments

• Screenshot_8.png
    Screenshot_8.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 189

Gencho

Hello there!
I'm using Meizu Hifi dac (non-pro) and Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro. I've just tried listening to stored flac files in 16 bit/44.1 hz format via UAPP and realized, that there is no problem (cracking sound, clicking or something like that) with them. I'm using UAPP in bit perfect mode (both of them checked).
Until today I was listening stored files on Hiby player with exclusive hq usb audio access (for bit perfect), and there was some cracking sound around every minute (or maybe less) with the same files.
I don't know if it is an issue with Hiby music player, Meizu Hifi dac or something else is going on in UAPP (like oversampling). Decided to try this after reading this tread (and the tread for Meizu Hifi Pro) and realized, that I stream by Tidal (trough UAPP) 44.1 hz files most of the time with no issues.
Other thing that I've noticed is that when I listen on my windows tablet with foobar & wasapi (push), there is no problem with 16/44.1 too.
Have anyone experienced the same?

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hello there!
I'm using Meizu Hifi dac (non-pro) and Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro. I've just tried listening to stored flac files in 16 bit/44.1 hz format via UAPP and realized, that there is no problem (cracking sound, clicking or something like that) with them. I'm using UAPP in bit perfect mode (both of them checked).
Until today I was listening stored files on Hiby player with exclusive hq usb audio access (for bit perfect), and there was some cracking sound around every minute (or maybe less) with the same files.
I don't know if it is a issue with Hiby music player, Meizu Hifi dac or something else is going on in UAPP (like oversampling). Decided to try this after reading this tread (and the tread for Meizu Hifi Pro) and realized, that when I listen from Tidal 44.1 hz files most of the time with no issues.
Other thing that I've noticed is that when I listen on my windows tablet with foobar & wasapi (push), there is no problem with 16/44.1 too.
Welcome Aboard @Gencho. This is a bit old thread, but I’m sure someone will be able to help you.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello there!
I don't know if it is an issue with Hiby music player, Meizu Hifi dac or something else is going on in UAPP (like oversampling). Decided to try this after reading this tread (and the tread for Meizu Hifi Pro) and realized, that when I listen from Tidal 44.1 hz files most of the time with no issues.
If I've understood you correctly, you have issues using hiby player but not uapp? I'll be honest, I wouldn't try and spend too much time finding out why something doesn't work if you have a solution that does. Just enjoy what works (uapp shouldn't oversample by default BTW)

Gencho

I know it's an old thread, but that devise is pretty cheap, can be used with headset, and does exceptional job for it's price.

And I don't search for solutions. I can listen in UAAP. Just sharing my experience and hope it will help for solving cracking issues with that dongle.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
There's no real solution afaik. Some part of how the Meizu HiFi was designed will cause stutter when playing 44.1 content on some players.
iirc, then I had this issue in UAPP, but not in YouTube/Spotify on Android or foobar wasapi in Windows.
The real "solution" would be to get the Meizu Pro which does not have the same bug, but that dongle is quite the rarity nowadays.

Veri

Master Contributor
I still think the occasional stutter is due to synchronous data transfer rather than async. I'm not 100% sure though. But yes it is system/device dependant if it happens a lot of not. Hard to track down.

Top Bottom